Please critique my form!

Post your videos and pictures to be reviewed here. Please read the guidelines first.
oddy21
PV Newbie
Expertise: Current College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 15'1"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Derek Miles

Please critique my form!

Unread postby oddy21 » Mon Feb 09, 2015 12:46 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fFU1ODY ... e=youtu.be

Grade: Freshman in college
How long you have been jumping: 3 years
What pole you are on (length and weight rating): 14' 180
How high you are gripping: 13'3"
What bar(s) you are attempting in the video: N/A
Meet PR: 13'3

I've got a meet coming up on Friday at SDSU that I'm going to be vaulting unattached at and need some critiquing on my form. These are all 5 step vaults on the same pole at the U of M facility with flightdeck athletics. I was trying out a bunch of new things like attempting to row harder and more upward and forward, bringing the pole across my body more, and pressing a bit harder with my left arm. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Rosco8
PV Newbie
Expertise: HS vaulter
Lifetime Best: 15
Favorite Vaulter: Toby Stevenson

Re: Please critique my form!

Unread postby Rosco8 » Mon Feb 09, 2015 12:09 pm

What I see that's holding your jump back is your extension of the inversion. When you get your hands to your feet, you try to rotate your body by moving your hands down through your left hip... they need to be tight to your right hip bone. This allows you to turn while you are moving you hands down your torso into the extension.

A great fix for this you be getting on a small pole, focus on keeping the legs straight and the hands close to your body while aiming for the back of the pit... not vertical height.
Sorry the pics are so big...

oddy21
PV Newbie

Unread postby oddy21 » Tue Feb 17, 2015 5:58 am

Thanks Roscoe! I'll definitely keep that in mind! I've been trying to do that a lot recently and it's setting up my turn a lot more nicely, but sometimes i can't seem to get it over all the way to my right hip and instead I bring my right arm in between my legs. I'll keep working on it!

KirkB
PV Rock Star
Expertise: Former College Vaulter; Former Elite Vaulter; Former Coach; Fan
Lifetime Best: 5.34
Favorite Vaulter: Thiago da Silva

Unread postby KirkB » Tue Feb 17, 2015 2:56 pm

Oddy, you need to whip your trail leg faster at the bottom. You can learn how to do this by swinging on a highbar.

The number of reps that you did on the vid is a waste of your time. It only enforces your bad habit of not whipping your trail leg. You're doing far too much running, and still not learning anything on each of your jumps. They all look the same to me.

You would be much better off to work on the highbar until you get a good whipping trail leg, then go back to the pit and practice what you learned on the highbar.

Also, I wouldn't fret so much about what happens after you whip your trial leg. Done right, you will be amazed how your hips raise up so much higher --- with hardly any extra effort!

Remember, it's all in the takeoff and whip/swing. With a good whip/swing, you will just fly off the pole! :idea:

That's what Bubka is doing in Rosco's pic. His excellent inversion is all due to his excellent takeoff and whip/swing.

Kirk
Run. Plant. Jump. Stretch. Whip. Extend. Fly. Clear. There is no tuck! THERE IS NO DELAY!

oddy21
PV Newbie

Unread postby oddy21 » Fri Feb 20, 2015 5:23 am

Thanks for the advice Kirk! That's actually perfect since I don't have a pit to vault in for the time being, but I do have a high bar. I'll definitely be working on that!

Return to “Pole Vault - Video Review”