Video Review of Cameron Meyer

Post your videos and pictures to be reviewed here. Please read the guidelines first.
KirkB
PV Rock Star
Expertise: Former College Vaulter; Former Elite Vaulter; Former Coach; Fan
Lifetime Best: 5.34
Favorite Vaulter: Thiago da Silva

Re: Video Review of Cameron Meyer

Unread postby KirkB » Wed May 27, 2015 6:09 pm

SFAPoleVaultDAD wrote:18' vault results from 2014 Quintana Beach Vault

http://quintanavault.com/results/

This is a dead link.

However, http://quintanavault.com does work. Their site might be under construction, as they transition from their 2014 event to the 2015 event. Meanwhile, we cannot see the 2014 results. :dazed:

SFAPoleVaultDAD wrote: ... we already are working on jumping in a sand pit ...

This is probably too juvenile of a drill for your son. He's way beyond sand vaulting. :no:

SFAPoleVaultDAD wrote: ... and jumping to a high bar to simulate jumping into the pole not getting ripped off the ground.

This is a great drill!!! :yes:

Make sure you grasp with your hands well apart, so that you can drive the chest forwards (between your arms). Otherwise, this drill doesn't have the same effect.

Also, you could try NOT jumping onto the highbar by being purposely under when you grasp the bar! To do this, you need to either raise your takeoff point with pads, or lower the bar so that it's exactly at your standing reach. (Use caution.)

Or at least just visualize what would happen if you tried that on a highbar, and then apply this learning to the pole. :idea:

Kirk
Run. Plant. Jump. Stretch. Whip. Extend. Fly. Clear. There is no tuck! THERE IS NO DELAY!

grandevaulter
PV Pro
Expertise: Three year highschool vaulter 1978-80. Now coaching highschoolers and competing in masters.
Lifetime Best: 11'
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Timothy Mack

Unread postby grandevaulter » Wed May 27, 2015 8:25 pm

SFAPoleVaultDAD wrote:I will say you guys are a tough crowd.

O:-) :devil: Welcome! :heart:

SFAPoleVaultDAD wrote:I have plenty other videos I can send but please understand I am not looking to brag or get his name out there.

Send some with out the tail wind or the tap. Slow motion would be best. 20/20 is probably correct in saying that he is being well coached and I would be insulted if I were his coach and found out a parent was questioning my work and looking for advice on the internet. This forum is educational for some and entertainment for others.

KirkB wrote:This is probably too juvenile of a drill for your son. He's way beyond sand vaulting.

https://youtu.be/0P2tXseTg1A This appears to be Petrov and Isenbayeva in Formia. (Not sure about the source of this film, it looks a lot like the BTB2 video, hope it's not pirated) Kirk has a lot of knowledge but isn't aware of Petrov's work with world record vaulters that do daily work in the sand pit.

If you want to learn about the pole vault you can buy "From Beginner to Bubka and Isenbyeva too" . There are advanced chapters (that use the sand pit). The videos are great. You can buy them from Becca on the PVP store on the home page.

SFAPoleVaultDAD
PV Newbie
Expertise: Parent
Lifetime Best: None
Favorite Vaulter: Morgan LeLeaux, Cameron Meyer

Unread postby SFAPoleVaultDAD » Wed May 27, 2015 10:12 pm

2014 QBV Results is found on the 2015 page by just looking at the tabs that say 2014 results.

Printable Results: 2014 Quintana Beach Vault Results

3:00PM Open Men
Place Name Height
1st Cameron Meyer 18′
2nd Logan Cunningham 17’6
3rd Garrett Larson 17′
Gavin Gatreaux 16’6
Chad Stoermer 16’3
Barrett Poth 15’9
Dakota Breaux

I am very close to my sons Coach and he is open to me learning the pole vault. He is a volunteer coach and does not get to spend a lot of days with them on there off days and with drills. So that is where I want to help him with drills and short run stuff to prepare him for jump days.

There are numerous vaulters that I have met (Shawn Barber and Sam Kendricks) who have dads that are very involved in there jumping. Also, with the limited resources for the athlete's for him to continue after college I need to learn it.

I have bought Beginning to Bubka three times and have watched the videos and read thru most of the book but each time I have ended up giving it to the parent I meet at local high school meets whose kids are just beginning.

So I will get more video of him in slow motion and see if you guys can help me with drills and things he made need to help him get better.

Sorry if I am bugging you guys but I am a visual learner (I guess because of being a golfer ) and watching videos helps me learn and then teach.

SFAPoleVaultDAD
PV Newbie

Unread postby SFAPoleVaultDAD » Thu May 28, 2015 12:06 am

https://www.coachseye.com/v/Mwnw?utm_so ... d_email4-1

https://www.coachseye.com/v/13WK

Don't know if this will work but this is two more of Cameron both over 5.10 and I think one over 5.20.

Please let me know what you think but I think you will see what I am talking about being under and he cuts last step to make it even work a little.

KirkB
PV Rock Star

Unread postby KirkB » Thu May 28, 2015 12:28 am

SFAPoleVaultDAD wrote:2014 QBV Results is found on the 2015 page by just looking at the tabs that say 2014 results.

Sorry, I had trouble reaching that particular page, but now, since you're able to reach that page OK, I think it must have been due to some malware on my laptop that's hijacked my google search engine and chrome browser tools that I prefer. I was able to reach some of the pages on their site, but not others. And I have not yet been able to restore my laptop to its original browser and search engine.

I hate it when that happens!

Will Cameron be attending this year's event on June 13th to defend his title?

Kirk
Run. Plant. Jump. Stretch. Whip. Extend. Fly. Clear. There is no tuck! THERE IS NO DELAY!

SFAPoleVaultDAD
PV Newbie

Unread postby SFAPoleVaultDAD » Thu May 28, 2015 12:43 am

Not sure at the moment but probably so. He is jumping in two other meets before then and we shall see how he does.

Did you get to see his other videos?

I think he is late with his pole drop, then doesn't get right hand up before last left is down and then just get ripped.

What do you suggest for him to do drill wise over summer while home to get him jumping or running into a free position so he does not get ripped.

I believe in correct drills, drills and more correct drills to get muscle memory of what happens on jump days.

KirkB
PV Rock Star

Unread postby KirkB » Thu May 28, 2015 1:35 am

SFAPoleVaultDAD wrote: Did you get to see his other videos?

I have not bothered to look at them.

For the third time, I will not be commenting on Cameron's technique.

I find your whole approach rather bizarre - first not knowing exactly how high his alleged 19' vault is (or where or when it occurred), and then not disclosing that he was tapped. And after asking you (twice!) where and when it occurred, you still have not said.

BTW, George Barber was the Canadian pole vault champion in 1983, so his situation is a little different than yours.

Kirk

grandevaulter
PV Pro
Expertise: Three year highschool vaulter 1978-80. Now coaching highschoolers and competing in masters.

Unread postby grandevaulter » Thu May 28, 2015 8:39 am

Hopefully the people that you gave BTB2 away to are reading and applying the drills. Plenty of pictures and great videos for visual learners too!

The sand pit drills if done correctly do much more than anyone can imagine, but they must be done correctly. The statement that it is too juvenile is an unqualified statement.

SFAdad, I'll send you a private message with a link that shows how to get a pre jump take off. I think that you've frightened the internet coaches.

KirkB
PV Rock Star

Unread postby KirkB » Thu May 28, 2015 2:12 pm

grandevaulter wrote: I think that you've frightened the internet coaches.

It's a matter of credibility, not fright.

First, SFA dad doesn't follow the sticky guidelines posted on the Video Review forum (http://www.polevaultpower.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=11345), so he expects us to provide a critique of Cameron's technique blindly, without knowing his PR progression, grip, etc. It was an immediate red flag for me when I researched his PR and compared it to his (alleged) 19' clearance.

He does qualify the 19' jump as a "bungee jump", which I expected might have been a clearance where he got his legs over the bungee, and dragged the rest of his body over as the bungee sagged. However, it was a clean clearance, which totally amazed me. SFA dad does not disclose that it was a tap vault, and he says he has no idea whether it was actually 19' or not.

He gives us links to 2 irrelevant events, and suggests that if he linked the wrong vids, then we hunt for Cameron's 18' and 19' vids on youtube.

Then he asks for my specific advice. Part of my reason for not providing a critique of his vault is that anyone clearing 19' didn't get there without a good coach, so something sounded fishy. I only looked at the vids briefly, and I had not noticed the tap on the 19' vault. I had noticed the good tailwind on the 18' vault, but I do not hold that against anyone - most PRs are done in a tailwind.

Then PV2020 suggests that this (alleged) 19 footer does not need cyber-coaching because SFA already has a good coach, and does not need a second opinion. I agree with PV2020.

SFA dad responds by saying he's just a fan of his son's, and of the sport of PV, and is just curious of our opinions of Cameron's technique.

Then Skyfly points out the tap.

SFA dad eventually discloses that over the years he's bought 3 copies of BTB2, and he's actually coaching his son on his non-jumping days, with drills, and advising his son re "being under" and what he should do about that, etc, but still doesn't clear the air about the 19' tap vault. He's now sounding more like an aspiring coach than just a fan/dad.

For someone this involved with his son's PV career, he surely knew that he was tapped, but has thus far been unwilling to admit it to us. He deliberately presented the 19' youtube vid as a credible vault in an effort to exaggerate his son's achievements. He deliberately tried to hoodwink us!

And on and on.

I have asked SFA dad the date and location of the alleged 19' vault twice now, and still no reply.

SFA dad: I would like you to clear the air about the 19' tap vault. Your credibility depends on this! Where did this occur, on what date, and who was the tapper? Was it you; Cameron's SFA coach; or someone else? You need to redeem yourself!

Kirk

grandevaulter
PV Pro

Unread postby grandevaulter » Thu May 28, 2015 11:41 pm

Like I said, some come here to learn and some come for entertainment. SFAdadio has provided us with some amusement with a very athletic son with some very individual stylistic differences from popular technical models.

Where it appears that he posted a couple low quality videos with a tremendous wind aided approach (prs may count but do records count with a wind aid?) and a "tapper", I don't think he should be condemned or compelled to redeem himself or his credibility as a helicoptering pole vault Pa. I was never bamboozled by his alleged shinanigans. I was just suffering from shock and awe that a 19' vaulter required advice from internet pole vault coaches that are legends in their own minds as they tap away at the keyboard.

I have analyzed some of his videos without the stringent requirements that are demanded by the sticky police.

As an avid fan of the sport, I have a good idea where the tap film was done and the notorious tapper. As a non official pole vault vigilante, I pardon you SFAdadio.

But you my Canadian friend, you knew when you made the sand pit juvenile statement it would get under my skin. But I pardon you too! No need to redeem yourself and your credibility or lack of it. But if you'd really like to know the benefits of correctly using the sand pit, I'd be glad to pm you. Perhaps you will then understand the sandpit drills and how effective they are. Or you could drop a line to Petrov and ask him.

GRANDE-VAULTER

KirkB
PV Rock Star

Unread postby KirkB » Fri May 29, 2015 12:23 am

grandevaulter wrote: But you my Canadian friend, you knew when you made the sand pit juvenile statement it would get under my skin.

Huh? :dazed:

How the heck did you expect me to read your mind? My comment wasn't even addressed to you, and you didn't even comment on sand vaulting until AFTER I made my comment!

grandevaulter wrote: ... if you'd really like to know the benefits of correctly using the sand pit, I'd be glad to pm you. Perhaps you will then understand the sandpit drills and how effective they are.

This is the third time you've tried to bait me with your point about sand pit drills. There's no need to PM me. I'm not biting. You can continue to provide your dogmatic advice straight out of BTB2, and I will continue to provide my advice from my own personal experience.

I have not challenged you about sand pit drills, because I respect your opinion as a coach. Just leave it at that. Why raise the same point 3 times? And why get personal about a trivial difference of opinion? :confused:

If you're so interested in sand pit drills, open up a new thread about it, instead of hijacking Tim Meyer's thread.

Kirk

grandevaulter
PV Pro

Unread postby grandevaulter » Fri May 29, 2015 9:05 am

KirkB wrote:If you're so interested in sand pit drills, open up a new thread about it, instead of hijacking Tim Meyer's thread.

The guy would like some drills to improve his son's plant/takeoff timing and you aren't helping. Sand pit drills will help him with his pole/arm/body alignment and positions at take off. Cam takes off quite far to the right of the "normal" center of the approach. Done correctly with an experienced coach, they are very adult and would benefit him.

Some on this forum would argue that his "pre-bend" take off and "natural under takeoff foot" is sufficient and that changing it would harm him. It appears to me that the Dogmatic 6-step plant drills ( same ones that Petrov has Isenbayeva do in the BTB2 video) would be a good suggestion and would help synchronize his hand arm motion and stride pattern. At Cam's next to the last left step he can be seen moving his right hand approximately 8" behind his hip when he begins to initiate his plant. It is my belief that this is the cause of him opening his stride and causing the under take off.

Return to “Pole Vault - Video Review”