analyze this!

Post your videos and pictures to be reviewed here. Please read the guidelines first.
ryansanta
PV Whiz

analyze this!

Unread postby ryansanta » Sat May 21, 2005 9:12 pm

http://dl2.rapidshare.de/files/1905639/ ... LCdual.wmv
(For this free host just goto the bottom and select 'free', and at the bottom of the next page it'll give you a wait time around 45 seconds and then it will start the download)

It's not my heighest jump but it was the video I had with the best angle and quality, and now that states is coming near I am still making some of the same mistakes. Any input at all will help me get better prepared. Thanks!

What I see: at the moment of takeoff my bottem arm isn't being driven up toward the crossbar (I believe I am about 3" under as well which caused this). I don't swing back fully to cover the pole, and I do not bring my arm forward/up to help bring my pole closer to my body for the turn and fling/push or whatever you consider it.

My standards were all the way back. I weigh in at 175 and I am jumping on a 15'6" 175 gripping at 14'3". I am taking an eight left approach as well.

BTW: here in Livonia we are forced to wear helmets so I'm not just trying to look cool.
Last edited by ryansanta on Mon May 23, 2005 12:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

ryansanta
PV Whiz

Unread postby ryansanta » Sun May 22, 2005 11:38 pm

Any comments are greatly appreciated!
Last edited by ryansanta on Mon May 23, 2005 12:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

CHC04Vault
PV Follower

Unread postby CHC04Vault » Sun May 22, 2005 11:41 pm

If u could make it to a file that dosnt require a dl, it would go alot easier
"Good my jump, it will be done" Bubka

ryansanta
PV Whiz

Unread postby ryansanta » Mon May 23, 2005 12:21 am

If I had a different host it would go a lot smoother. It's only 1.5mb and even at this free host it downloads within 30 seconds so I don't see how that's a problem.

(For this free host just goto the bottom and select 'free', and at the bottom of the next page it'll give you a wait time around 45 seconds and then it will start the download)

master
PV Lover
Expertise: Masters Vaulter, Volunteer HS Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 4.36m

Unread postby master » Mon May 23, 2005 12:08 pm

Here's my observations.
1) you have a nice approach run; smooth and powerful
2) you have what I call a "roundhouse" plant, and this video is the best I have seen to demonstrate it. Freeze frame your video and look at each frame from the time your head is in front of the open door on the building behind you. Your right hand, arm and elbow go way behind your head as if you are throughing a ball. This causes your entire upper body to twist significantly. Even from the angle of the camera, you can still see your entire back. You correct this and get into a good take off position, but the harm has already been done. That motion will cause you to lose some of your speed and can put you off balance. A better hand/arm motion would have the path of your hand stay closer to your body, and proceed much closer to your shoulder and ear. Some people even say your hand would knock off a baseball cap by hitting its bill if you were wearing one.
3) good, tall plant with top hand in good position
4) for some reason, (number 2 above could be part of it) you are under on your take off foot. Being under takes away much of the benefit of number 3. I am one who believes in your take off foot being properly placed when it is in a range of from directly under your take off hand to being out up to 5 inches from there.
5) nice, powerful drive knee. appears you are jumping up because the pole never sags. It bends but you are going up right from the start.
6) nice swing that gets you about 90% of the way to fully covering the pole. If you could get that next 10% it would be really beneficial.
7) not completely covering makes it almost impossible to get vertical on top of the pole. (hips up to the pole and shoulders lowered) Instead, you go out and end in a flag position.
8) your pole never did get to vertical. That could be because of so many things, but I am guessing it was because of 4 above. It may be, as you said, that rowing your hands forward during your swing would have helped.
9) if you look at the frame where your feet just pass the bar, you will see the result of the problems. In this position, the pole has not carried to vertical, you are not on top of the pole as it is completing its recoil and as such there is no way for you to apply any useful push. You can only push the pole away.

Looking at the video again, and playing it in slow motion, I think I see a "stutter" step in your run about the time you begin your plant. That may be the result of number 2, but whatever causes it, it needs to be eliminated.

All in all, I'm impressed with what you have going right and I hope you can clear up those aspects that would keep you from really getting a ride from that pole :) And I almost forgot, I like your helmet ;)

- master

ryansanta
PV Whiz

Unread postby ryansanta » Mon May 23, 2005 2:11 pm

Thank you!

With all the plant drills I do I'm surpised that I would have a roundhouse plant, however with actually looking at that aspect I can see how my upper body rotates. Thanks again.

master
PV Lover

Unread postby master » Mon May 23, 2005 2:39 pm

I was just outside doing some short run and plant practice on my driveway. I had my baseball cap on. I wasn't thinking about it, but on one run I did knock my cap off with my right hand. It has happened before also, so I know my hand is in a better place now than when I used to roundhouse.

Even done correctly, your torso will rotate some. But not anywhere near what I saw in your video. Look at this video. It shows clearly the path of the right hand that I was trying to describe. (I don't know how he had such a fantastic jump, taking off as far under as he did. ;) )
http://www.stabhoch.com/movies/20010211_Ecker_600.mov

- master

ladyvolspvcoach
PV Follower

analyze

Unread postby ladyvolspvcoach » Mon May 23, 2005 6:33 pm

I tried to download your file but the site couldn't find it!!!

souleman
PV Lover
Lifetime Best: 12-7.5
Favorite Vaulter: Bob Seagren, Bob Richards

Unread postby souleman » Mon May 23, 2005 8:27 pm

Dave it took me a couple of trys till I got it right. After you hit Free, scroll down to the bottom of the next page and you'll see the timer that says how much longer it will take to download. When you hit the "Free" button it starts the down load. Just be patient watch the little timer (it took mine 64 seconds to load) Then it will say,DOWNLOAD Santa..... click on that and the video will come up. Later.......Mike
Last edited by souleman on Mon May 23, 2005 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ladyvolspvcoach
PV Follower

analyze

Unread postby ladyvolspvcoach » Mon May 23, 2005 8:29 pm

Thanks, Mike! I'll give it another shot!

master
PV Lover

Re: analyze

Unread postby master » Mon May 23, 2005 10:27 pm

ladyvolspvcoach wrote:Thanks, Mike! I'll give it another shot!

ladyvolspvcoach, If you still have trouble, I can either email it to you (1.5MB) or I can load it to my website and give you a download link from there.

- master

ryansanta
PV Whiz

Unread postby ryansanta » Mon May 23, 2005 10:51 pm

Thanks for the help master. I can email it as well to anyone, just let me know.

Return to “Pole Vault - Video Review”