please pick apart my jumps!!

Post your videos and pictures to be reviewed here. Please read the guidelines first.
homan2822
PV Newbie
Expertise: Post collegiate vaulter. Collegiate coach
Lifetime Best: 5.41m
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Lazaro Borges

please pick apart my jumps!!

Unread postby homan2822 » Sun Dec 20, 2015 11:15 am

I've had a string of bad luck with injury and transferring schools, but finally having my healthiest pre- season yet, and just looking for eyes to pick apart my jumps.
I have posted a few different jumps on my youtube page all of which should say any poles I'm jumping on.
I've been stuck jumping around 5 meters in meets though i have and can jump much higher.

not clearly seen in the videos is that I'm always about a foot under. when gripping 15 I'm always around 11 for my takeoff in the training videos on my youtube I'm gripping 15 5 and taking off at 12. i had a few that i didnt swing up with a good step out at 13ft but felt like i wasn't tall and getting off the ground at all. in my mind its just my body being used to being ripped off the ground?

any help critique or drills to help me being so under are greatly appreciated.
https://www.youtube.com/user/homan2822/videos

KirkB
PV Rock Star
Expertise: Former College Vaulter; Former Elite Vaulter; Former Coach; Fan
Lifetime Best: 5.34
Favorite Vaulter: Thiago da Silva

Re: please pick apart my jumps!!

Unread postby KirkB » Sun Dec 20, 2015 3:18 pm

I'll look at your vids later, but for right now, here's my comments ...
homan2822 wrote:I've had a string of bad luck with injury and transferring schools, but finally having my healthiest pre- season yet, and just looking for eyes to pick apart my jumps.
I've been stuck jumping around 5 meters in meets though i have and can jump much higher.

If your PR is 5.30 and you're now around 5.00, your first objective should be to get back to THE TECHNIQUE YOU HAD at the 5.30 range. You do this by visualisation. Visualise how you were able to train to clear 5.30, and repeat that training process. And visualise your 5.30 jump, and try to emulate that jump technically. I assume that your injuries are all behind you, so duplicating your 5.30 jump should be doable.

I'm not saying to get back to CLEARING 5.30. I'm only saying to get back to THE TECHNIQUE YOU HAD when you cleared 5.30. You can do it. If you have any vids of your 5.30, compare them to your current vids, and see what you did differently (technically).

This may seem all too obvious, but you probably don't need outside advice to get back to where you were before your injuries. You've done it once, so you can do it again.

What is it about your school transfer that has set you back? :confused: Don't use that as an excuse, if there's not a specific reason why it has upset your training process. Please explain (or retract, if it's unrelated to your setbacks).

homan2822 wrote: ... I'm always about a foot under. ... i had a few that i didn't swing up with a good step out at 13ft but felt like i wasn't tall and getting off the ground at all. in my mind its just my body being used to being ripped off the ground?

I'm glad you mentioned "being ripped off the ground" as a bad thing. That's a good start to solving your problem of being UNDER. And yes, if it feels like you're "being ripped off the ground", then that's probably what's happening, and it can lead to injuring your back (or top arm shoulder).

The best way to get used to a free-er takeoff (further back) is with short run vaulting. That gives you a lower grip and a slower run/plant/takeoff, so that you can focus on a more vigorous JUMP on takeoff. Warmups, and sometimes even full practice sessions should focus on short runs. That's where you'll build the confidence to accelerate into your takeoff, and JUMP from further back.

Another advantage of short runs is that it's harder to mess up your steps. You have less steps in which to stretch out to be UNDER, so your steps will be more consistent, and you'll hit your takeoff mark every time. This short run training will carry over quite well to your long run vaults.

Kirk
Run. Plant. Jump. Stretch. Whip. Extend. Fly. Clear. There is no tuck! THERE IS NO DELAY!

homan2822
PV Newbie
Expertise: Post collegiate vaulter. Collegiate coach
Lifetime Best: 5.41m
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Lazaro Borges

Re: please pick apart my jumps!!

Unread postby homan2822 » Sun Dec 20, 2015 4:27 pm

Thanks for the quick reply!
I do have some training video from back then, and really you bringing that up makes me think its a lot of a mental block more than anything.
Ill try to do more of the visualizing. I've actually thought about that some but never just took the time before or during a session to stop and think about it.
one of the biggest differences though is since my first major injury which was 2 herniated disks I've learned and changed a lot of my lifting and don't focus so much on just pushing heavy weight. so when i was jumping higher i was about 10 lbs heavier and quite a bit stronger on the upper body where now I'm more balanced, which i like i feel much more explosive but makes it much harder to push the bigger sticks that i could just muscle through before.

i bring up transferring schools because i lost my coach. so that has been a tough transition going from having a very hands on coach able to tell me the little things every jump vs. me trying to just feel it out and make my own adjustments.

i hardly do short approach vaults, so again thank you. I've just kind of always had the mindset that i need to jump big to jump higher.

Return to “Pole Vault - Video Review”