Left arm/ plant critique

Post your videos and pictures to be reviewed here. Please read the guidelines first.
McKee150
PV Newbie
Expertise: Current High School Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 13'4"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Undecided

Left arm/ plant critique

Unread postby McKee150 » Tue Jan 26, 2016 10:54 pm

Hello! I'm new to this site and I'm trying to get some good technique going pre season, some general info; I'm 160lbs, using a 5L approach, holding about 13' on a 14' 155, any and all advice is appreciated! Thanks.

Hmmmm... Could somebody explain to me the best way to post a video on here? From an iPhone, my school laptop blocks sports related content so that's a no go.
Train like you're second, compete like you're first

monteo
PV Wannabe
Expertise: High School, Club, College Coach
Favorite Vaulter: Bubka

Re: Left arm/ plant critique

Unread postby monteo » Sun Jan 31, 2016 8:58 pm

Post a link. Just because you can't access the link doesn't mean those on the forum can't.

McKee150
PV Newbie

Unread postby McKee150 » Tue Feb 02, 2016 9:35 pm

https://youtu.be/s1gWmZE-5us

This should work, sorry about the delay, and I sort of vanish at the top part of the vault. I'll try and get some better video this Friday, thanks for your time.

charlie
PV Pro

Unread postby charlie » Wed Feb 03, 2016 4:51 pm

Take the pad of your left hand and PRESS up and to the left side when the pole makes contact with the box! Tall early press support!! It acctually starts with your foot on the ground!!!!

McKee150
PV Newbie

Unread postby McKee150 » Wed Feb 03, 2016 11:23 pm

I'll work on that this Friday and try to get some better film, thanks for the help!

KirkB
PV Rock Star
Expertise: Former College Vaulter; Former Elite Vaulter; Former Coach; Fan
Lifetime Best: 5.34
Favorite Vaulter: Thiago da Silva

Unread postby KirkB » Thu Feb 04, 2016 12:10 am

charlie wrote:Take the pad of your left hand and PRESS up and to the left side when the pole makes contact with the box! Tall early press support!! It acctually starts with your foot on the ground!!!!

OMG Charlie, are you saying what I think you're saying?

You're telling McKee to take off UNDER (no free takeoff), and to start bending the pole by prying on it as your takeoff foot is still planted firmly on the ground? :confused:

And you're telling him that he should press "up and to the left side", rather than directly forward towards the pit? :confused:

Yikes, I don't know where to begin with this, so I won't even try!

Very bad advice! :no:

Kirk
Run. Plant. Jump. Stretch. Whip. Extend. Fly. Clear. There is no tuck! THERE IS NO DELAY!

charlie
PV Pro

Unread postby charlie » Thu Feb 04, 2016 9:41 am

Kirk-I quit justifying myself any more and yes that is exactly what i teach! You DO NOT take off under with that plant!!

KirkB
PV Rock Star

Unread postby KirkB » Thu Feb 04, 2016 10:32 pm

charlie wrote:Kirk-I quit justifying myself any more and yes that is exactly what i teach! You DO NOT take off under with that plant!!

OK Charlie, I owe you an apology. Sorry. I'm glad that you advocate a free takeoff (or at least not an UNDER takeoff).

If I re-read your original post, now knowing that you don't take off UNDER, it makes more sense. Thanks for clarifying that.

I'm still a bit concerned about your mention of a pressing "up and to the left side", because it seems to me that if you do that, you will get your body out of alignment with your forwards direction towards the pit.

I'm thinking that pressing to the left side would cause your body to swerve to the right side. This is basic physics (every action has an equal and opposite reaction). Tell me where I'm misunderstanding you, please. :confused:

Kirk
Run. Plant. Jump. Stretch. Whip. Extend. Fly. Clear. There is no tuck! THERE IS NO DELAY!

grandevaulter
PV Pro
Expertise: Three year highschool vaulter 1978-80. Now coaching highschoolers and competing in masters.
Lifetime Best: 11'
Favorite Vaulter: Timothy Mack

Unread postby grandevaulter » Mon Feb 22, 2016 12:02 pm

Kirk,

Charlie is trying to convey that the vaulter should be positioning the arms so they are able to see through them into the takeoff. If the top arm is pushed straight up and the left elbow is aiming out to the side, this should put the left arm in a position to flex dynamically and allow the left hand to move above the left eyebrow and out of sight. However some youngsters require a que in order to not let the left arm fall asleep completely or end up with their head too far left and their left arm too far right, work the right and left hands together to achieve the key position.

KirkB
PV Rock Star

Unread postby KirkB » Mon Feb 22, 2016 3:32 pm

I can understand what you mean, Grandevaulter.

But I'm concerned that Charlie's students might take him too literally, because apparently what he says and what he means are 2 different things.
charlie wrote:Take the pad of your left hand and PRESS up and to the left side when the pole makes contact with the box! Tall early press support!! It actually starts with your foot on the ground!!!!

Wouldn't it be better if we all say what we mean, and we mean what we say? :confused:

Kirk

grandevaulter
PV Pro
Expertise: Three year highschool vaulter 1978-80. Now coaching highschoolers and competing in masters.
Lifetime Best: 11'
Favorite Vaulter: Timothy Mack

Unread postby grandevaulter » Tue Feb 23, 2016 9:09 am

Sometimes it is as simple as that. Sometimes it is not, it depends on the athlete.

McKee150
PV Newbie

Unread postby McKee150 » Thu Mar 31, 2016 2:55 pm

Sorry been busy! Thanks for all the responses, I've been working on a couple thing off the top of the pole, however my step is still under, and my left arm never presses up before collapsing, here's another video that might be more helpful,
https://youtu.be/ZD1skGb8AAI

I'm about 5'9" 163, the pole is a pacer 14'6" 165, and the bar I knocked down was at 13'6", any input is appreciated, on any portion of the vault, thanks!

Return to “Pole Vault - Video Review”