Analyze Video

Post your videos and pictures to be reviewed here. Please read the guidelines first.
fx
PV Whiz

Analyze Video

Unread postby fx » Sat Dec 31, 2005 3:50 pm

I'd appreciate it if someone wanted to take a look at this video and analyze the technique. I'm on a 13'7 150 and the bar is at 13'

http://westboroughtrack.com/M_Multimedia/2006_Indoor/051227FX397PR.mov

Here's what I see:
The left hand drops down too far during the run
I stride the last few steps
I take off inside
My hips dont stay behind the pole so my trail leg doesnt really stay back
I like my swing
I get away from the pole when i'm turning and pushing and my push off the top is weak
I think I kind of drop my legs too early
My Pike is pretty good

Mecham
PV Lover

Unread postby Mecham » Sat Dec 31, 2005 6:21 pm

What I like to do is compare my vault with Bubka's. Sure it is a little different cause he is on a pole that is like... 4 feet longer, but you will get the right idea. You cant go wrong with Bubka
Just you wait...

advath
PV Whiz
Expertise: I have coached a 13' high school girl, 17' high school boy, NCAA Champion and number 1 HS sprinters

Unread postby advath » Mon Jan 02, 2006 11:38 pm

I couldn't view the video for some reason.

Texasvaulter07
PV Whiz

Unread postby Texasvaulter07 » Tue Jan 03, 2006 12:10 am

advath wrote:I couldn't view the video for some reason.
Vault Old School wrote:Hey I was just wondering if anybody out there knew Bubka's Height, Weight, Body Fat%, etc. when he was competing?

bjvando wrote:i heard he was 7 ft tall, with a negative body-fat percentage......

dafox
PV Whiz

Re: Analyze Video

Unread postby dafox » Tue Jan 03, 2006 2:03 am

fx wrote:I'd appreciate it if someone wanted to take a look at this video and analyze the technique. I'm on a 13'7 150 and the bar is at 13'

http://westboroughtrack.com/M_Multimedia/2006_Indoor/051227FX397PR.mov

Here's what I see:
The left hand drops down too far during the run
I stride the last few steps
I take off inside
My hips dont stay behind the pole so my trail leg doesnt really stay back
I like my swing
I get away from the pole when i'm turning and pushing and my push off the top is weak
I think I kind of drop my legs too early
My Pike is pretty good

My $0.02 for what its worth:
Your left hand drops too far and that creates the stride out of your last few steps. Actually, you can see yourself go heel-toe from about 3 lefts out. Note that at this same time, your left hand is below your left elbow. According to Petrov, this is a major no-no.
Your plant is late. On your last right foot, your right hand should be ear level. This may get fixed when you keep your left hand equal/above your left elbow during the run.
Your hips look fine to me. But you seem to be staring/looking for the bar during your swing. This stops your shoulders from droping at the right time (right as your butt is over that line between the front buns.. you can see the red line in the white part of the pit beneath the flag pole 'stake'). Continue to drop your shoulders there, and that'll allow you to get your hips up higher/earlier and allow more covering of the pole. But if you do this, you HAVE to wait longer on the pole as it unloads. If you 'get off' at the same time you normally do, you'll come up short (and the pole wont keep rolling).

Covering the pole earlier will fix the last 4 things on your list.

I also think you can have more 'wash' in your takeoff, but I wont get detailed about that unless you want me to ;)

fx
PV Whiz

Unread postby fx » Tue Jan 03, 2006 11:48 am

Thanks for your input fox. I think you're right about covering the pole earlier and of course about my run. However, I have to say, I dont really think i'm keeping my eyes on the bar. And could you please explain waiting for the pole to unload and keeping the pole rolling? It seemed to me as if the pole movement just stopped in the video, which is why I started to turn and push the pole away from me in order to make the pit. Do you think the pole would have continued to move forward if I had waited for it?

fx
PV Whiz

Unread postby fx » Tue Jan 03, 2006 11:50 am

For those that can't see the video, here's what I did and it worked for me:
right click and save target as
download it to your computer
It didnt work for me in quicktime at first, so I opened it with Realplayer

I hope that works

dafox
PV Whiz

Unread postby dafox » Sun Jan 08, 2006 3:41 pm

fx wrote:Thanks for your input fox. I think you're right about covering the pole earlier and of course about my run. However, I have to say, I dont really think i'm keeping my eyes on the bar. And could you please explain waiting for the pole to unload and keeping the pole rolling? It seemed to me as if the pole movement just stopped in the video, which is why I started to turn and push the pole away from me in order to make the pit. Do you think the pole would have continued to move forward if I had waited for it?

yes, the pole did stop in that vid. I was referring to IF you cover the pole early, your timing will be off and you'll naturally want to come off the pole earlier.

if you're not looking at the bar, then you need to allow your shoulders to drop more and almost pass the pole. you do this at the end, but its because your center of gravity is moving forward. to get more over inverted, your shoulders will need to drop more (and its scary.. you'll feel like your gonna come back and land on the runway).

Get your takeoff and run fixed before you go to the stuff in the air. Doing the later stuff w/o having a proper run/TO is dangerous (even tho its the fun stuff to work on.. no one likes working the run instead of inversion :) ). and make sure your coach is watching and you're on a pole that allows for mistakes, but not too small that you'll clear the pit.

Return to “Pole Vault - Video Review”