history of the jumps

A forum to discuss anything that does not have to do with pole vaulting.
mooski33
PV Nerd

history of the jumps

Unread postby mooski33 » Mon Nov 29, 2004 6:50 pm

alright guys--I'm looking for a little help: I've been searching the web and my college library for information on the history of track and field, specifically the jumps, since 1900. Information including "historical data, events, or personalities that affected" the jumps is what I need to have in my paper (only five pages, so nothing huge). Now, I am not asking anyone to do my research for me, but if anyone knows of some websites that may be of use, I would really appreciate any and all advice/recommendations! I've got one book, and unfortunately am struggling to find anything else.
let me know if you find anything!!
"taste the happy, michael"

breaker
PV Whiz

Unread postby breaker » Mon Nov 29, 2004 7:34 pm

i did a project on vaulting a while back, but unfortunaely i dont have the bibliography anymore. a month or so ago, Russ posted about pole vaulting in mythology, that might be interesting to add to the rest of vaultings actual "history" here it is:

Several people have written about pole vault history. It turns out that there are some very ancient references.

Ovid (Publius Ovidius Naso) was a Roman poet born about 43 B.C. He's most famous for his work called The Metamorphoses...a work that's got tons of Greek and Roman mythology in it. If you've ever studied Mythology, chances are you've heard of The Metamorphoses (Edith Hamilton's book uses Ovid as a primary source).

In Ovid's Metamorphoses, Book 2 lines 785-86, the Latin text says:

...haud plura locuta/
fugit et inpressa tellurem reppulit hasta
(785-786)

The standard English translation by Rolfe Humphries says:

She [Minerva] said no more, but with the spear as
lever,
Spurning the loathsome ground, took off for Heaven.

hope that is of some help!

(oh also, your signature is the best - RENT is amazing!!!)

Return to “General”