Another DUI - might as well keep drinking!

A forum to discuss anything that does not have to do with pole vaulting.
rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Another DUI - might as well keep drinking!

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Fri Apr 27, 2007 2:14 am

http://www.wenworld.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a ... 0/SPORTS03

Eighth DUI: Suspect admits he was in a 'no-win situation'

By Travis Hay, World staff writer
Posted April 25, 2007
WENATCHEE -- When Washington State Patrol trooper Marc Barger pulled over Timothy L. Hansen on suspicion of a DUI earlier this month he couldn't believe what he saw.

On April 11 State Patrol dispatchers received a call about someone erratically driving a blue Volvo east on Highway 2. Barger spotted the Volvo, which was being driven by Hansen, and proceeded to pull it over. When Barger knocked on the driver-side window, Hansen, 48, took a swig out of a bottle of vodka, put the cap back on the bottle and bit into a lime that was on the passenger seat. He later took another bite out of the lime as Barger was handcuffing him.

"I knew the gig was up, so I said 'hey, might as well,' " Hansen said during an interview Monday afternoon from the Chelan County Regional Justice Center.

He said he was not being defiant when he took the last swig in front of the trooper.

"I'm an alcoholic, and I was in a no-win situation," Hansen said.

Hansen's behavior surprised Barger.

"I couldn't believe he was doing this as I was standing there watching him. I have never had this happen in my 17 years of being a state trooper," Barger wrote in his report of the incident.

When checking Hansen's background, Barger found Hansen had been convicted of seven previous DUIs, had a King County warrant for driving while license suspended and was driving with a suspended license, something Hansen had been convicted of twice previously.

When Barger opened the door of Hansen's vehicle, he described the odor of alcohol as being "the kind of smell that makes you take a step back to get some fresh air."

Barger arrested Hansen for suspicion of driving under the influence and during a search incident to the arrest, four empty beer bottles and an empty 12-pack of beer were found in the back seat of the car. After he was arrested, Hansen refused to take a breath test to determine his blood-alcohol level.

When checking on the vehicle, Barger discovered it was reported stolen. Hansen denied stealing the car and said someone in Ballard gave it to him. He said he thought the vehicle was stolen, but he decided to take it anyway.

"I knew I wasn't supposed to be driving, but I had an opportunity to leave where I was and I just gave up," he said. "I wouldn't have even considered it if I was sober."

Hansen, who has more than 25 previous arrests including three felony convictions, said he was homeless at the time of his arrest. Court documents give an Ephrata address for Hansen.

He was charged in Chelan County Superior Court April 16 with second-degree taking a motor vehicle without owner's permission, driving under the influence, first-degree driving while license suspended and ignition interlock violation.

Hansen said he plans to ask the court for possible alcohol addiction treatment.

"I'd be glad to take treatment as an option if it is available. Alcoholism is a disease and turning away from a drink is like a diabetic trying to pass a doughnut shop," he said. "You can pass it up, but every once in a while you're going to give in."

Hansen is currently being held at Chelan County Regional Justice Center on $100,000 bail. If found guilty of all charges he could face more than seven years in prison and $20,000 in fines.

CrossBarHOpper
PV Pro

Unread postby CrossBarHOpper » Fri Apr 27, 2007 8:56 pm

This is a Disgrace to Volvo owners Volvo the best driving experience in the world.
hey guys! Abe Lincoln?
Sophmore PR 14'6"

highhopes
PV Fan

Unread postby highhopes » Tue May 29, 2007 7:27 pm

Wow that’s crazy. His blood-alcohol level probably would have registered as legally dead.
“Practice like you playâ€Â

Return to “General”