Mascots unveiled for Vancouver Olympic Games

A forum to discuss anything that does not have to do with pole vaulting.
rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:47 pm

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/s ... TopStories

Updated Tue. Nov. 27 2007 3:49 PM ET

CTV.ca News Staff

Inspired by British Columbia's iconic geography and aboriginal legends, organizers of the 2010 Vancouver Olympic and Paralympic Games unveiled three mascots and an honorary sidekick on Tuesday.

They were presented during a 35-minute live show at the Bell Centre for Performing Arts in Surrey, B.C.

They include:

Miga -- a snowboarding sea-bear inspired by the First Nations' legends of the Pacific Northwest. Miga, described as mischievous and outgoing, is part sea-bear and part orca whale.
Quatchi -- a shy and gentle Sasquatch with a long brown beard and blue earmuffs meant to conjure the mystery and wonder associated with Canada's wilderness.
Sumi -- an animal guardian spirit, who flies with the wings of the thunderbird, is described as "a natural born leader with a passion for protecting the environment."
Mukmuk -- a Vancouver Island marmot sidekick considered an honorary member of the mascot team.
Quatchi and Miga will represent the Olympic Games while Sumi will represent the Paralympic Games.

More than 800 excited schoolchildren from eight different elementary schools were on hand for the announcement.

The new mascots were designed by Meomi Design based in Vancouver. The company -- headed by Vicki Wong in Vancouver and Michael Murphy in Los Angeles -- has created art for Google, Electronic Arts, Time Out Magazine and Girls, Inc.

Meomi was chosen by VANOC after an open call for professional artists and design companies to submit proposals on the 2010 website.

The mascots will appear in advertisements for the Games, official publications and websites, and will provide souvenir-minded Olympic fans with stuffed toys and other trinkets to take home.

They will also serve to "bring humour and light-hearted fun to the Games experience and help provide a warm welcome to athletes and visitors from around the world," the Vancouver Olympic Games website said ahead of the announcement.

The identities of the new mascots were a highly guarded secret ahead of Tuesday's announcement. Speculation swirled as to what distinctly Canadian symbols would represent the Games -- a moose, maple leaf, hockey puck, beaver, etc.

Mascots can bring in millions of dollars in merchandising, leave a legacy of civic pride and provide a visual identity for the Games.

"Traditionally the mascot has been about the country, it's been about the history, the culture, so there's a lot at stake there," Joy Jennison, a spokesperson with public relations firm Hill & Knowlton, told CTV British Columbia.

A bad mascot can leave Olympic fans cold, as did "Neve" the snowball and "Gliz" the ice cube during the 2006 Turin Games.

The first Canadian Olympic mascot, Montreal's beaver "Amik," was unveiled during the 1976 Games in Montreal. Calgary introduced the world to "Hidy" and "Howdy" in 1988, a pair of cowboy hat-wearing polar bears.

The first official Olympic mascot, "Waldi" the dachshund, was unveiled in 1972 at the Summer Games in Munich.

Pogo Stick
PV Pro
Expertise: Former "College" Vaulter, Masters Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 4.70/15'5
Favorite Vaulter: Władysław Kozakiewicz

Re: Mascots unveiled for Vancouver Olympic Games

Unread postby Pogo Stick » Thu Nov 29, 2007 4:08 am

rainbowgirl28 wrote:http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20071127/vancouver_mascot_071127/20071127?hub=TopStories

That's reminded me. Olympic Oval for speed skating here in Richmond, BC will be multi-purpose facility with "turf section will have a rubberized turf surface that will be home to an indoor running track and other sport uses". I will use lunch break to make couple jumps during long, rainy winter. Oval is across the street from place where I work. :-)

-- PoGo

decanuck
PV Whiz

Re: Mascots unveiled for Vancouver Olympic Games

Unread postby decanuck » Sat Dec 08, 2007 11:20 pm

Finally some Olympic mascots that look a) cuddly, b) not creepy, and c) like they're based on real things. Haven't seen any of those in a while.

Pogo Stick wrote:
rainbowgirl28 wrote:http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20071127/vancouver_mascot_071127/20071127?hub=TopStories
That's reminded me. Olympic Oval for speed skating here in Richmond, BC will be multi-purpose facility with "turf section will have a rubberized turf surface that will be home to an indoor running track and other sport uses". I will use lunch break to make couple jumps during long, rainy winter. Oval is across the street from place where I work. :-)
I train in the oval from the Calgary '88 Olympics...It's the only place to vault indoors in the whole city (unless you brave the snow and ice), and home to, apparently, the fastest ice in the world. The atmosphere is great, no doubt, but it's so cold in there all the time> It's great when your running but not so great when you're freezing your tail off in between jumps. Pack some long tights if you plan on training there a lot!

Return to “General”