"The Fiberglass Era" - Circa 1964

A forum to discuss pole vaulting related things of a historical nature.
altius
PV Rock Star

Unread postby altius » Wed Nov 07, 2007 8:55 pm

Thanks Doc! Lets hope you get some material - so that we can resolve some important issues. :yes:
Its what you learn after you know it all that counts. John Wooden

achtungpv
PV Rock Star

Unread postby achtungpv » Wed Nov 07, 2007 9:46 pm

http://www.apmstudio.com/

$9.95 to convert VHS to DVD.

This thread has forced me to convert my old VaultWorld According to Gus compilations (raise your hand if you're old school Web PV enough to have those), Reno 97 & 98 & USATF champs filmed for biomechanic studies by McG, 96 & 00 OG finals filmed from the stands, etc., VHS tapes to DVD among others.

I think one of my tapes has a pretty good segment from a british biomechanics video from the '83 world champs. I'm not sure though since I haven't watched them in over 5 years due to lack of a VCR.
"You have some interesting coaching theories that seem to have little potential."

altius
PV Rock Star

Unread postby altius » Thu Nov 08, 2007 1:20 am

Do we need to organise a collection for you?? ;)

achtungpv
PV Rock Star

Unread postby achtungpv » Thu Nov 08, 2007 10:03 am

altius wrote:Do we need to organise a collection for you?? ;)

Mailing them off today. Unfortunately it does appear that someone (not to name names swtvault) borrowed my PVWAG tapes and didn't return them prior to moving away after college.
"You have some interesting coaching theories that seem to have little potential."

VaultnGus
PV Pro

Unread postby VaultnGus » Thu Nov 08, 2007 2:29 pm

Weird how ya mention that Dev - most of all of my ORIGINALS were borrowed and have not been seen by yours truly in many many years. *sigh* I used to love watching those old vaults all the time - had a whole mess of Bubka, Gataullin et al. Oh well. I may have to pull a reverse and borrow the copies off of one of you to make a copy for myself :-)

I was able to puchase a DVD on EBay that had 3 training videos on it - DOn Hood's tape, Doug Lytle's video and a video from British Athletics (which is quite funny not only for it's really bad technical advice but also for the nice late 70's early 80's mustaches) - the first two have several vaults of Tully and others

Also was just going through some of Jan Johnson's SkyJumpers series and they have a bunch of the old guys on there too - a few of Kjell Isaaksson, Tully, even a few of TimMcMichael...
"Will vault for food"

dj
PV Enthusiast
Expertise: Coach

Unread postby dj » Thu Nov 08, 2007 8:23 pm

When you takeoff correctly "you will feel like you have taken off to far out, 3 to 4" before the pole tip hits the back of the box".

quote from guy kochels book.. titled Pole Vault.. published by Championship Books in 1981. I have a copy of the manuscript that was written as early as 1974-75... 1975 was the year earl went from a PR of 16-8 to 18-2 at the NCaa Championship.. under guy kochels direction>>>
Come out of the back... Get your feet down... Plant big

ladyvolspvcoach
PV Follower

out

Unread postby ladyvolspvcoach » Thu Nov 08, 2007 8:41 pm

Hmmmm!!! Sounds like a "free take-off" was discussed and coached pretty early on!!! Even Ganslen discussed this feeling! in the early 70's! That's really interesting!!!

altius
PV Rock Star

Unread postby altius » Thu Nov 08, 2007 9:31 pm

Thanks dj -keep them coming.

achtungpv
PV Rock Star

Unread postby achtungpv » Thu Nov 08, 2007 11:56 pm

I heard that Tully used to say that if you're not swinging before the pole hits the back of the box, then you missed the timing of the vault completely.

dj
PV Enthusiast
Expertise: Coach

Unread postby dj » Fri Nov 09, 2007 11:52 am

good morning

I heard that Tully used to say that if you're not swinging before the pole hits the back of the box, then you missed the timing of the vault completely.

he also said when he "felt" he was 3 to 4 inches out that he knew he had better "swing like hell" or he would never catch up with the pole before it reached vertical.

his comment after several close jumps at 19-5 just before the 1984 games were... "If i don't start my swing "before' the pole hits the back of the box" i will go so deep i will land on the grass 10 feet over the pit.

what that means to me is that every phase of the vault has to "pass" through the vaulters mind, either consciously or sub consciously just prior to that particular action.. just as petrov has said "the pole drop and plant starts with the first step." that is why we must "think" takeoff just before the pole tip hitting the back of the box..

the few times that you do it correctly you had better be ready for the "ride".. tully used to say "i can only hit it about one out of six times... on that jump i hope i have the right pole.. the right grip and the bar is on a world record!"

in attendance at that practice session in 84' was tom telez who had coached mike in the 70's to approach the vault in that manor...

when i first started working with mike i knew he was the best "swing" vaulter in the world.. what i did for mike was give him a faster run.. and a more dynamic.. impluse at the takeoff.. and yes we did often talk about taking off "out" and really reaching higher with the top arm.. as if you were going to "dislocate" the shoulder... that is the way you can create a greater pole angle toward the pit at the takeoff……..

dj

ps..... honestly we have spent enough time "beating a dead horse"

my major reason for getting "involved" was in defense of t-mack and several American coaches who have "done it right" for a long time.. every coach i know has "borrowed" from other coaches... so what we know today has to be traced back to the "first".. for me (1960's) ganslin's books and articles from germany and russia and the Omni Book. after that tom telez and guy kochel is where i got the most information plus working with Earl, Dave Roberts, Mike Cotton, Will Freeman, Bruce Simpson and then Mike Tully.... as coaches we always learn from the throughbreds...

t-mack has attempted to vault as near to the way petrov teaches as possible.. because it follows "physics".. and in some respects tim's jumps were more efficient than several of bubka's that we still credit to ... simply because they were higher. but when we talk technique and a model the physics (math) is what tells the story.

i don't think we should ever criticize or tear an athlete done to try and make ourselves as coaches or our athletes look right or better.

pss.. another side note Donnie Baird jumped like Joe Dial before Joe Dial...
Come out of the back... Get your feet down... Plant big

2-15-46
PV Pro

Scored something interesting..

Unread postby 2-15-46 » Mon Apr 28, 2008 8:42 am

While cleaning out my mother's estate this week end, I found my old Browning Skypole, I had stashed in the barn attic..... I always thought is was a 15 185... but it measured 16 and was probably 180 plus... also found a tapered gill "aluminum/swedish steel(?)" I jumped on my sophmore year, that I broke our old school record of 10-6 on.... I think I jumped 10-8... then started jumping on a 14 foot gill aluminum orange straight pole..

the tapered pole has some Gill red paint on it so I'm gonna match the color and repaint it, put a unversal tip on it so it doesn't bust up boxes and use it as a pop up pole :D
Bob

master
PV Lover
Expertise: Masters Vaulter, Volunteer HS Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 4.36m

Unread postby master » Mon Apr 28, 2008 12:32 pm

That's pretty cool Bob. I bet that brought back some grins and some emotions.

- master

Return to “Pole Vault - Historical”