Old School Pole Vault Videos

A forum to discuss pole vaulting related things of a historical nature.
fx
PV Whiz

Unread postby fx » Sun Dec 23, 2007 7:31 pm

fx
PV Whiz

Unread postby fx » Sat Mar 22, 2008 11:22 pm

achtungpv
PV Rock Star

Unread postby achtungpv » Fri Apr 11, 2008 9:35 pm

"You have some interesting coaching theories that seem to have little potential."

spike gibeault
PV Pro

Unread postby spike gibeault » Sun Apr 13, 2008 7:13 pm

"My biggest fear is my lack of fear."-Mat Hoffman

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Re: Old School Pole Vault Videos

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Mon Oct 06, 2008 10:54 pm

KirkB
PV Rock Star
Expertise: Former College Vaulter; Former Elite Vaulter; Former Coach; Fan
Lifetime Best: 5.34
Favorite Vaulter: Thiago da Silva

Re: Fred Hansen 1968 Tokyo Olympics Vid

Unread postby KirkB » Tue Oct 07, 2008 1:06 am

Yeh, he's under.

But put him in the context of the 1964 Tokyo Olympics, and his technique was actually "world class" back then!

Think of how steel vaulters vault. If you hand a fiberglass pole to a steel vaulter, and let him figure out his technique for himself, he's going to steel vault with it. The main difference is that he won't jerk his shoulders out of their sockets if he's under. Yeh, he's under, but probably not by intent. It's just that a fiberglass pole is so much more forgiving than steel.

By watching his Gold Medal vault, you should be able to visualize how Hansen used to vault with steel. The main difference is that he'd be taking off from further back, and he'd be jumping off the ground more (instead of getting picked off). Could it be that Hansen was the first vaulter in history to "load the pole on takeoff"? I had never seen him vault until today, so he certainly wasn't who I modeled my vault after.

There was a lot of experimentation going on in those days. No one really knew how to adapt to the fiberglass pole. Hansen just happened to find a technique that worked for him.

John Pennel placed 11th with 4.70 in that Olympics (although he had jumped 5.20 in 1963), and in the late 1960s would go on to set several WRS - his highest was 5.44 in 1969. His technique was quite different. He pressed hard with his bottom hand, to purposely bend the pole. That was a big mistake back then, but it worked for him. He had so much athleticism that he could have taken off on the wrong foot and still cleared 17'. (Not much exageration here - I personally witnessed a 15'6" vaulter from Washington do this!)

1963-64 was an exciting 2-year period for pole vaulting! The outdoor WR was broken 11 times by 3 vaulters - Hansen, Pennel, and Brian Sterberg. In that 2-year period, the WR increased from 4.94 to 5.28. Each had their own unique technique. All were previously steel vaulters, and carried over what they learned there to the fiberglass pole.

Sorry for the rambling ... nostalgia getting the best of me. :)

Kirk
Run. Plant. Jump. Stretch. Whip. Extend. Fly. Clear. There is no tuck! THERE IS NO DELAY!

KirkB
PV Rock Star

Re:

Unread postby KirkB » Tue Oct 07, 2008 1:23 am

Thank goodness for the thin secondary gym mat that he struck!

I had a fall like this once, and lost my 2 front teeth, broke my nose, and got a concussion. I landed on the track. Thank goodness it was RUBBERIZED asphalt! :D

WARNING: If you feel yourself drifting off to the side, then BAIL!!! :idea:

Kirk
Run. Plant. Jump. Stretch. Whip. Extend. Fly. Clear. There is no tuck! THERE IS NO DELAY!

KirkB
PV Rock Star

Unread postby KirkB » Tue Oct 07, 2008 2:09 am

rainbowgirl28 wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGTdEhUW0nE

PVjules (a PV video aggregator from France) has put together an incredible video journey thru the PV eras - first wood, then bamboo, (he skips aluminium and steel), then various techniques used with a fiberglass pole - culminating with Scott Huffman and his Huffman Roll!

Here's his caption:
and also the technique of the pole vaulter.

We have to remember... there is not only ONE technique, but just a way to add energy into the pole to vault higher.

Now, you have to find your own technique!!!

Did you notice the bend on that bamboo pole!!!

Take a look at PVjules' other PV vids here: http://www.youtube.com/user/PVjules

Kirk

dj
PV Enthusiast
Expertise: Coach

Unread postby dj » Tue Oct 07, 2008 3:01 am

good morning

Scott Huffman's ending vaults from pvjules clips were at the Manhattan Beach, CA Beach Vault..1990?. he actually jumped at 20-2 that day.. I think one or more attempts were good shots… any readers there that day?? The year before at the much smaller inaugural production "jj" was the MC and "brought down the house" with his wit and humor... :D

Ron Morris did a great history "from Bamboo to Fiber Glass"..( on video somewhere) also 30 minute "show" was played on what i think was the first "Sports Channel" located in Santa Monica.

dj

2-15-46
PV Pro

Unread postby 2-15-46 » Tue Oct 07, 2008 9:47 am

KirkB wrote:

VERY WELL PUT>>>>>I WAS IN THAT ERA(64) AND WHEN MY HS

COACH BOUGHT ME A BROWNING SKYPOLE 16 foot 180 lb I TRIED EVERYTHING I COULD TO GET IT TO MAGICALLY BEND BUT HOLDING DOWN AROUND 12 FEET MADE IT A TAD DIFFICULT, EVEN AT TODAYS KNOWLEDGE OF THE EVENT..... NO ONE KNEW OR HAD ACCESS TO KNOWING HOW IT WORKED OR EVEN WHY....THE CONCEPT OF BEING ABLE TO HANG HIGHER DIDN'T COME WITH THE INSTRUCTIONS:) SOME KIDS THEN WERE LUCKY AND THIER COACHES BOUGHT THEM 14 FOOT POLES CLOSE TO THIER WEIGHT AND BY ACCIDENT THEY WERE ABLE TO HANG HIGHER WITH A LITTLE BEND, STILL VAULTING LIKE A STEEL JUMPER.... I WENT BACK TO MY 14 FOOT GILL ALUMINUM/STEEL AS IT WAS LIGHTER TO CARRY

Yeh, he's under.

But put him in the context of the 1964 Tokyo Olympics, and his technique was actually "world class" back then!

Think of how steel vaulters vault. If you hand a fiberglass pole to a steel vaulter, and let him figure out his technique for himself, he's going to steel vault with it. The main difference is that he won't jerk his shoulders out of their sockets if he's under. Yeh, he's under, but probably not by intent. It's just that a fiberglass pole is so much more forgiving than steel.

By watching his Gold Medal vault, you should be able to visualize how Hansen used to vault with steel. The main difference is that he'd be taking off from further back, and he'd be jumping off the ground more (instead of getting picked off). Could it be that Hansen was the first vaulter in history to "load the pole on takeoff"? I had never seen him vault until today, so he certainly wasn't who I modeled my vault after.

There was a lot of experimentation going on in those days. No one really knew how to adapt to the fiberglass pole. Hansen just happened to find a technique that worked for him.

John Pennel placed 11th with 4.70 in that Olympics (although he had jumped 5.20 in 1963), and in the late 1960s would go on to set several WRS - his highest was 5.44 in 1969. His technique was quite different. He pressed hard with his bottom hand, to purposely bend the pole. That was a big mistake back then, but it worked for him. He had so much athleticism that he could have taken off on the wrong foot and still cleared 17'. (Not much exageration here - I personally witnessed a 15'6" vaulter from Washington do this!)

1963-64 was an exciting 2-year period for pole vaulting! The outdoor WR was broken 11 times by 3 vaulters - Hansen, Pennel, and Brian Sterberg. In that 2-year period, the WR increased from 4.94 to 5.28. Each had their own unique technique. All were previously steel vaulters, and carried over what they learned there to the fiberglass pole.

Kirk
Bob

2-15-46
PV Pro

Unread postby 2-15-46 » Tue Oct 07, 2008 7:58 pm

For grins I just went out and measured my Old Browning Skypole.... which was a 16 foot.... 180 I thought...... at a 13 scale it measured 8.9 cm...at a 14 foot scale it measured 12.0 cm and at 15 foot scale it measured 14.9 cm....... no wonder it wasn't flexible 12.0 on a 14 scale is about 200lbs \":confused:\" 2-15-46 wrote:
KirkB wrote:

VERY WELL PUT>>>>>I WAS IN THAT ERA(64) AND WHEN MY HS

COACH BOUGHT ME A BROWNING SKYPOLE 16 foot 180 lb I TRIED EVERYTHING I COULD TO GET IT TO MAGICALLY BEND BUT HOLDING DOWN AROUND 12 FEET MADE IT A TAD DIFFICULT, EVEN AT TODAYS KNOWLEDGE OF THE EVENT..... NO ONE KNEW OR HAD ACCESS TO KNOWING HOW IT WORKED OR EVEN WHY....THE CONCEPT OF BEING ABLE TO HANG HIGHER DIDN'T COME WITH THE INSTRUCTIONS:) SOME KIDS THEN WERE LUCKY AND THIER COACHES BOUGHT THEM 14 FOOT POLES CLOSE TO THIER WEIGHT AND BY ACCIDENT THEY WERE ABLE TO HANG HIGHER WITH A LITTLE BEND, STILL VAULTING LIKE A STEEL JUMPER.... I WENT BACK TO MY 14 FOOT GILL ALUMINUM/STEEL AS IT WAS LIGHTER TO CARRY

Yeh, he's under.

Kirk
Bob

Return to “Pole Vault - Historical”