Seagren's pursuits now involve a yacht and a race

A forum to discuss pole vaulting related things of a historical nature.
rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Seagren's pursuits now involve a yacht and a race

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Thu Oct 08, 2009 9:56 am

http://www.presstelegram.com/sports/ci_13509453

KRIKORIAN: Seagren's pursuits now involve a yacht and a race

By Doug Krikorian, Sports Columnist
Posted: 10/07/2009 11:08:40 PM PDT

They're staging the silver anniversary of the Long Beach International City Banking Marathon Sunday, and the boss of the event, Bob Seagren, estimates there will be a record 21,000 participants competing in it.

"Of course, 12,000 of those will run in the half marathon, 2,200 will run in the 5K, 2,600 in the bike tour, 500 in the Kids One Mile Fun Run and around 4,500 in the marathon," says Seagren, president/CEO of International City Racing that is putting on the show. "When I first got involved in the race back in 2001, there was a total of only 4,500 participants."

There will be all sorts of interesting people from various walks of life who will be huffing and puffing through the streets of Long Beach Sunday, but I'm not sure any of them has a more compelling background than the 62-year-old Seagren, who since 2002 has lived on a 62-foot yacht moored on Alamitos Bay.

Indeed, none can claim to have held 15 world records in the pole vault like Seagren, who won the gold medal in that particular pursuit in the 1968 Mexico City Olympics and a silver medal at the 1972 Munich Olympics.

Nor can any claim to have been involved in seven television pilots, none of which were picked up by the networks.

One of them, "Toni's Boys," a 1980 "Charlie's Angels" spinoff, to this day has Seagren bewildered.

"I thought it was a cinch to be a big hit," he says with a laugh. "I played an Olympic champion who was often seen without his shirt.

I was one of the three guys starring on the show, and we wound up saving the Angels from kidnappers. I thought it was a can't-miss.
"But, for some reason, it missed."

After a terrific career at USC in which he, Earl McCullough, Lennox Miller and O.J. Simpson led the Trojans to an NCAA track title in 1967 and after competing on the International Track Association's professional circuit between 1973-76, Seagren dabbled in acting for 10 years.

He appeared for two years on the sitcom "Soap," as well as making guest appearances on "Fantasy Island," "Love Boat" and "Wonder Woman."

He also was host of "PM Magazine" between 1983-86.

"I found acting to be a pretty frustrating experience," he says. "You're always told how tough that business is-and it is very tough. You think you're destined for stardom-and, suddenly, they pull the plug. It's a business that wears on you."

Bob Seagren was far more successful in his pole vaulting endeavors.

He set his first world record at the 1966 West Coast Relays in Fresno at 17 feet, 5 inches and his final one in Eugene, Ore., in 1972 at 18-5.

In between, he established several other world marks at both indoor and outdoor meets.

A native of Pomona-he's a 1964 graduate of Pomona High-Bob Seagren began vaulting with a bamboo stick when he was a mere 11.

"I started going over the backyard fence," he recalls. "It was a do-or-die thing, and sometimes I wouldn't clear it. At times, it was a pretty painful experience."

But he endured, did well in high school-he cleared 15 feet his senior year-and attended Mt.San Antonio College before enrolling at USC where he competed for Coach Vern Wolf.

"Had a lot of fun at USC," he says. "But when we'd go on the road, I'd always lose my per diem money in card games with people like Earl McCullough and O.J."

The Olympics made Bob Seagren world famous-he even appeared on a Sports Illustrated cover-and one of its reporters, Chris Ballard, wasn't surprised that Hollywood beckoned.

"... His square-jawed all-American looks turned him into a matinee idol, the Valentino of the vault, and enamored female fans would wait for him in hotel lobbies and call him long distance in the middle of the night," Ballard wrote.

Despite his physical attributes, Bob Seagren never quite became Brad Pitt, although he has become a successful businessman.

His ICR company has nine full-time employees, and provides management for other events like the Dana Point Turkey Trot-the largest Thanksgiving Day run in the country-the Orange County Marathon and the various Long Beach Sea Festival activities.

It also oversees the Belmont Shore Christmas Parade.

Seagren has been married twice, and has four children, including twin 12-year-old daughters from his second one.

While registration numbers are up for the 25th Long Beach marathon, sponsorship is down, as is to be expected in these tight financial times.

But Seagren has slashed costs since 2006, and no longer spends large amounts of money to bring in world-

class marathon runners.

"We'll have about $15,000 in prize money, with male and female winners each receiving $1,500," he says.

Bob Seagren will be an active presence this weekend, as he will make appearances at the two-day Marathon Expo at the Convention Center and will be on Shoreline Drive at the Rainbow Lagoon for the start of the race at 7 a.m.

And then, after the proceedings and post parties are finished, he will return to his yacht and relax.

"I love living on a boat," says Seagren, who once loved soaring to staggering heights.

"It's so quiet, no car noise, no neighbors, no one bothering you. It's a tranquil existence, far removed from my younger days when I was doing the Hollywood thing. But I'm much happier now."

Return to “Pole Vault - Historical”