Jacob Davis 19'2'' 1999 Indoor NCAA's

A forum to discuss pole vaulting related things of a historical nature.
joebro391
PV Follower
Expertise: Current College Vaulter (Samford University)
Lifetime Best: 15'6
Favorite Vaulter: Duplantis, Borges, Bubka

Re: Jacob Davis 19'2'' 1999 Indoor NCAA's

Unread postby joebro391 » Thu Dec 17, 2009 12:25 am

Barto wrote:Jacob Davis is a prime example of why I doubt anyone will ever jump over ~6.20m without the use of HGH or anabolics. The forces involved in jumping that high are just too strenuous on the body. It's not that a human couldn't do it, it's just that we fall apart physically before we get there.

Barto
Be safe. Have fun. Jump high.

you mean...for the exception of bubka (unless you're including his achillies injury in your statement), though, to me, he did clear 6.20, so i still say that bubka's the exception to that statement. -6P
PR: 15'6 !!PETROV/6.40 MODEL!! http://www.youtube.com/user/joebro391

fx
PV Whiz

Unread postby fx » Thu Dec 17, 2009 12:48 am

Or maybe not.

KirkB
PV Rock Star
Expertise: Former College Vaulter; Former Elite Vaulter; Former Coach; Fan
Lifetime Best: 5.34
Favorite Vaulter: Thiago da Silva

Unread postby KirkB » Thu Dec 17, 2009 3:02 am

joebro391 wrote: ... you mean... for the exception of bubka (unless you're including his achillies injury in your statement), though, to me, he did clear 6.20 ...

6P, "would've could've should've" doesn't cut it when you're talking about WRs. I know the jump you're thinking of, and to my eye, he would have come down on it ... if the bar was at 6.20. Let's not debate this one again. Bubka cleared 6.14 outdoors and 6.15 indoors. End of story.

Davis might have cleared 6.01 (but came down on it) or 6.10 (in practice), but his OFFICIAL PR was 5.90. End of story.

Just about every other vaulter in history has a story to tell about how they "almost" or "should have" cleared a certain PR height. We don't go by that. We go by OFFICIAL results. ;)

Kirk
Run. Plant. Jump. Stretch. Whip. Extend. Fly. Clear. There is no tuck! THERE IS NO DELAY!

golfdane
PV Pro

Unread postby golfdane » Thu Dec 17, 2009 6:46 am

KirkB wrote:
joebro391 wrote: ... you mean... for the exception of bubka (unless you're including his achillies injury in your statement), though, to me, he did clear 6.20 ...

6P, "would've could've should've" doesn't cut it when you're talking about WRs. I know the jump you're thinking of, and to my eye, he would have come down on it ... if the bar was at 6.20. Let's not debate this one again. Bubka cleared 6.14 outdoors and 6.15 indoors. End of story.

Davis might have cleared 6.01 (but came down on it) or 6.10 (in practice), but his OFFICIAL PR was 5.90. End of story.

Just about every other vaulter in history has a story to tell about how they "almost" or "should have" cleared a certain PR height. We don't go by that. We go by OFFICIAL results. ;)

Kirk

Well stated.

joebro391
PV Follower
Expertise: Current College Vaulter (Samford University)
Lifetime Best: 15'6
Favorite Vaulter: Duplantis, Borges, Bubka

Unread postby joebro391 » Thu Dec 17, 2009 11:45 am

{pouts} hahaha -6P
PR: 15'6 !!PETROV/6.40 MODEL!! http://www.youtube.com/user/joebro391

VaultPurple
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, College Coach, Pole Vault Addict
Favorite Vaulter: Greg Duplantis

Unread postby VaultPurple » Thu Dec 17, 2009 3:05 pm

Barto wrote:Jacob Davis is a prime example of why I doubt anyone will ever jump over ~6.20m without the use of HGH or anabolics. The forces involved in jumping that high are just too strenuous on the body. It's not that a human couldn't do it, it's just that we fall apart physically before we get there.

Barto

... And they said no one would ever break 4 minutes in the mile....

It will go up. It may not be this year, or even in the next ten years. But at some point in time you are going to find a guy that is athletic enough to long jump 28 feet and fast enough to run run sub 10 in the 100, and he is going to enter high school and someone will convince him that pole vaulting is the most awesome thing on earth.

There is no limit on word records, they were meant to be broken. In the past two years a guy has not just lowered the world record in the 100/200, he destroyed them to them! Three years ago if anyone would have ever thought that a guy could run sub 9.6 or `sub 19.2 he would be considered an idiot.

Have a little faith...

Barto
PV Great
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie

Unread postby Barto » Thu Dec 17, 2009 6:18 pm

Sorry Kid,

That same 28' long jumper and sub 10 100m guy will get hurt just like the rest of us before he gets much past 6.20m. I didn't say the world record would not be broken. I put an approximate limit on performance in the pole vault based upon the stresses the event places on the human body. Science has told us many of those same stress parameters limit the 100m record to about 8.8 seconds.
Facts, Not Fiction

Darth Vaulter
PV Whiz
Expertise: High School Coach, Former High School Vaulter, Masters Vaulter

Unread postby Darth Vaulter » Thu Dec 17, 2009 8:54 pm

Is it just me, or does Davis have one of the smoothest approach runs ever? His head does not move up and down AT ALL. It looks like he is stationary and the background is moving past him. All of his run energy is heading toward the box.
May the Force be with you!

Return to “Pole Vault - Historical”