Jim Thorpe: Greatest Athlete

A forum to discuss pole vaulting related things of a historical nature.
KirkB
PV Rock Star
Expertise: Former College Vaulter; Former Elite Vaulter; Former Coach; Fan
Lifetime Best: 5.34
Favorite Vaulter: Thiago da Silva

Jim Thorpe: Greatest Athlete

Unread postby KirkB » Tue Nov 17, 2009 3:13 am

I just finished watching this hour-long documentary - "Jim Thorpe: Greatest Athlete" on TV. You can read all about it here ... http://www.jimthorpefilm.com/. Watch the trailer on that website ... it shows him pole vaulting! :yes:

Quite an interesting film. Lots of live footage and stills from his hay-day years, including the 1912 Olympics in Stockholm, where he won both the Pentathlon and the Decathlon ... and was honored by the King of Sweden.

Lots of interesting facts about his life ... born in Indian Territory in what is now Oklahoma ... he had a twin brother that died from a flu epidemic when he was young ... Jim always said that he got his extra strength from his brother when he passed ... some interesting and some disgusting things about the AAU and the IOC (altho the IOC gave his medals back to him post-humously) ... some things about racism that he survived and fought against his entire life ... he got equal pay for Indian extras in the cowboy movies ... lots of content for any aspiring athlete to read ... athletics ... football ... baseball ... he starred in them all! There's LOTS more to see and hear in the film ... I'm just giving you a few teasers!

Watch it if you get a chance! I'm sure it will be showing on your public TV station again sometime soon ... they never show these types films just once.

Kirk
Run. Plant. Jump. Stretch. Whip. Extend. Fly. Clear. There is no tuck! THERE IS NO DELAY!

2-15-46
PV Pro

Re: Jim Thorpe: Greatest Athlete

Unread postby 2-15-46 » Tue Nov 17, 2009 7:41 pm

I don't think that was him vaulting............but the documentary looks great.... I studied him while growing up.
Bob

Return to “Pole Vault - Historical”