1993 World Champs

A forum to discuss pole vaulting related things of a historical nature.
rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

1993 World Champs

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Fri Nov 20, 2009 11:28 am

VaultPurple
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, College Coach, Pole Vault Addict
Favorite Vaulter: Greg Duplantis

Re: 1993 World Champs

Unread postby VaultPurple » Fri Nov 20, 2009 2:32 pm

I really like the camera angle at around 4:10. And I find it interesting that it appears that Bubka pulls through with both arms at the same time and releases with both hands at the same time (or relatively close), instead of just following through and trying to push off with the right hand like you see most vaulters doing (maybe thats why he always kind of went over in a sideways piked position when he came off the pole so explosively?)

Any thoughts?

Barto
PV Great

Unread postby Barto » Fri Nov 20, 2009 8:20 pm

The energy off the top comes from his left foot, not either of his hands.
Facts, Not Fiction

kcvault
PV Pro
Expertise: College vaulter, post collegiate vaulter, BA kinesiology,
Lifetime Best: 5.40m
Favorite Vaulter: Annie Burlingham

Unread postby kcvault » Fri Nov 20, 2009 10:44 pm

I dont believe he would have gone any higher if he did. With his swing and exstention how fast he was rising I think trying to wait and push straight down the pole would have slowed his momentum instead of propeled him. I actually find on alot of my jumps though I make an attempt to push down the pole I am actually not pushing against anything because the pole is already rolled, and I think I would have better bar clearance if I could just follow my momentum the way bubka does. Just my thought I could be way off. At 4:11 does anyone notice the pole is bending a little before Bubkas toe leaves the ground? Is this a free take off or is Bubka taking off under?

---Kasey

joebro391
PV Follower
Expertise: Current College Vaulter (Samford University)
Lifetime Best: 15'6
Favorite Vaulter: Duplantis, Borges, Bubka

Unread postby joebro391 » Sun Nov 22, 2009 1:39 am

kcvault wrote: At 4:11 does anyone notice the pole is bending a little before Bubkas toe leaves the ground? Is this a free take off or is Bubka taking off under?
---Kasey

yea, i saw that too. i'm sure he didn't intend on doing it, he probably just ran himself under. i'm assuming he was just extra fast that day and eventually moved his step back. i wonder if he used a mid...??? One thing i noticed was his bottom arm on his 5.90 jump. It looked as though it collapsed and then he pushed it back out. Any thoughts on that?? -6P
PR: 15'6 !!PETROV/6.40 MODEL!! http://www.youtube.com/user/joebro391

kcvault
PV Pro

Unread postby kcvault » Sun Nov 22, 2009 7:21 am

One thing i noticed was his bottom arm on his 5.90 jump. It looked as though it collapsed and then he pushed it back out. Any thoughts on that?? -6P

It allows him to get an elastic stretch, by pushing it back out it helps to keep the pole bent giving him time to get inverted and also helping load the pole. At least I think this is why. I know that my arm will bend a little and pushing it back out happens naturally. I actually think almost all vaulters who don't lock there arms out at take off naturally push it back out afterwords to some extent. What do other people think about the take off could this be considered a free take off or just barely not one. I once read an article about Bubka training for the free take off and if I remember correctly he said he was able to achieve the free take off some times but not all the time. Though this may have been when he was first training for it or I could be miss quoting him. I think we all think Bubka is incapable of making mistakes so when we see one frame away from a free take off that we can only notice because of slow motion we are shocked. We forget he is human.
---Kasey

KirkB
PV Rock Star
Expertise: Former College Vaulter; Former Elite Vaulter; Former Coach; Fan
Lifetime Best: 5.34
Favorite Vaulter: Thiago da Silva

Unread postby KirkB » Sun Nov 22, 2009 3:07 pm

KC, re Bubka's free takeoff (or not) and re his bottom arm push (or not), these topics were discussed quite thoroughly on PVP last year ... perhaps before you joined.

I think you're incorrect in your analysis of his vids, and I think it's probably becuz of your history of what you personally did in your vaults, but I don't have time to delve into this today.

Maybe just search for keywords like Bubka, bottom arm, 1993, free takeoff, and other words like that. There's one particular thread that I've forgotten the name of, where a lot of nice still pics of his vaults were posted. By the end of the thread, I think there was STILL some dispute over whether his pole was bending before he left the ground or not, and whether he was pushing his bottom arm or just hanging onto a pole that was bending away from him, but that's life on PVP.

I seem to recall that Master posted some good pics of this, so maybe include his name in your search too. Or maybe Master remembers the name of the thread?

Kirk
Run. Plant. Jump. Stretch. Whip. Extend. Fly. Clear. There is no tuck! THERE IS NO DELAY!

kcvault
PV Pro

Unread postby kcvault » Sun Nov 22, 2009 3:55 pm

I think you're incorrect in your analysis of his vids

I figured I was. I have never been able to figure out why vaulters push there arm back out but I will search for that thread. You can see that Steve Hooker does this as well, and also the second video at the end shows Annie doing the same thing. I think this is a good thing what do you think.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tk8BC_S3 ... re=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBUsAvXZgmI

---Kasey

joebro391
PV Follower

Unread postby joebro391 » Sun Nov 22, 2009 6:20 pm

kcvault: i think that the effect of Bubka's bottom arm is more of an effect of him going 'elastic' and then his shoulders 'snapping back'. What you're describing sounds more like rowing, which i have a big problem with (that i'm slowing leaving behind), in my short-run vaults.

as far as his take-off, he certainly didn't achieve it all the time, and i believe your quote certainly applied to ALL of Bubka's take-offs, though I think (if i remember from Launder's DVD), he meant it in reference to obtaining a pre-jump at take-off. No matter what anyone says, a free-take is a real secret to big jumping. It just allows the vaulter to maintain such great speed into the take-off [you're never in support of both the ground and pole (conservation of energy {physics major hehe})]. -6P

powerplant42
PV Rock Star

Unread postby powerplant42 » Sun Nov 22, 2009 7:24 pm

No matter what anyone says, a free-take is a real secret to big jumping.

Quite a shame that the 'secret' hasn't gotten to everyone.

Yeah he's definitely under, but just remember that it's ONE jump... :idea: :yes:
"I run and jump, and then it's arrrrrgh!" -Bubka

kcvault
PV Pro

Unread postby kcvault » Sun Nov 22, 2009 7:30 pm

Also a big secret to less back pain since there is not two points of contact it takes a lot of pressure off your back. ;)

joebro391
PV Follower

Unread postby joebro391 » Mon Nov 23, 2009 12:15 am

kcvault wrote:Also a big secret to less back pain since there is not two points of contact it takes a lot of pressure off your back. ;)

haha, agreed :heart:

Return to “Pole Vault - Historical”