Joe Dial

A forum to discuss pole vaulting related things of a historical nature.
spike gibeault
PV Pro

Joe Dial

Unread postby spike gibeault » Tue May 04, 2010 3:36 am

Hello everybody, I haven't been on this site in a couple years. Back in high school Joe Dial sent me some pictures of him for an art project and I have recently stumbled uppon them. I figured I'd get them out to the internet somehow, to some people who would appreciate them. He happens to be one of my favorie vaulters since he was such a short guy jumping so high. As a fellow short guy, I am truly jealous of his achievements

"My biggest fear is my lack of fear."-Mat Hoffman

Barto
PV Great
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie

Re: Joe Dial

Unread postby Barto » Tue May 04, 2010 7:52 am

30 years into the sport and Joe remains the best pole vaulter I've ever seen.
Facts, Not Fiction

IAmTheWalrus
PV Pro
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Current College Coach, Aspiring to be Elite Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 5.06m

Unread postby IAmTheWalrus » Tue May 04, 2010 5:20 pm

Does anyone have some good video of Joe, I would love to see him jump. (That 19' jump was a year before I was born)
-Nick

73-vaulter
PV Whiz
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Fan, Parent, High School Coach

Unread postby 73-vaulter » Tue May 04, 2010 5:23 pm

I just love seeing old photos like these. Thanks.

kev44000
PV Pro
Favorite Vaulter: Jack Whitt & Mark Hollis

Unread postby kev44000 » Wed May 05, 2010 12:11 am

IAmTheWalrus wrote:Does anyone have some good video of Joe, I would love to see him jump. (That 19' jump was a year before I was born)

There is a couple on youtube.

master
PV Lover
Expertise: Masters Vaulter, Volunteer HS Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 4.36m

Unread postby master » Wed May 05, 2010 11:35 am

Is the photo of the 19' vault a composite? Or did they actually have people on the mats during the vault ( I would assume to hold the bar on because of a tailwind)? Also, was the guy on the front buns catching the pole so Joe wouldn't come down on it?
- master . . . http://www.plvlt.com

LHSvaulter
PV Whiz
Expertise: Former High School Vaulter, Current College Vaulter, Huge Fan!
Lifetime Best: 13-6
Favorite Vaulter: Renaud Lavillenie

Unread postby LHSvaulter » Wed May 05, 2010 12:25 pm

Spike, you should put up the resulting project too if you can find it
Apparently, I look a lot like Michael Phelps

ras
PV Nerd
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Fan, Parent
Favorite Vaulter: Tye Harvey

Unread postby ras » Wed May 05, 2010 2:32 pm

master wrote:Is the photo of the 19' vault a composite? Or did they actually have people on the mats during the vault ( I would assume to hold the bar on because of a tailwind)? Also, was the guy on the front buns catching the pole so Joe wouldn't come down on it?

Yes, back in the "good old days" we always had "pole catchers". I was surprised when I got back into the sport a few years ago to see that the vaulters just let their poles fall to the ground. This would have got you a few extra laps in the old days. Don't know if we were just overly protective of the poles back then or if pole technology is so much better that you don't need to worry about it anymore.

Although you were supposed to wait for the pole to be pushed back to you, most pole catchers in high school were very aggressive and would jump onto the mat to catch the pole before it hit the crossbar and knocked it off (which was very easy to do back then as it was usually a light weight aluminum bar on metal pegs - no rubber ends). Of course, that would have never been a problem for Dial as his pole would have easily passed under the crossbar. The pole catcher in this case is just preventing the pole from crossing beneath the crossbar in the strong head wind and "kissing" him on the backside.

Which brings up a interesting question - just how high of a push off is that? I originally saw the pole that the guy on the pit was holding up and thought that was the pole Dial was jumping with. Only upon closer study did I see his actually pole was a couple of feet below that. Wow!

Vaultdadof2
PV Beginner
Expertise: High School Coach, Parent, Masters Vaulter

Unread postby Vaultdadof2 » Wed May 05, 2010 3:54 pm

Look at the area around the pit. If he misses to the right he will come down on a nice 4' high pointed steel fence post. I guess there have been some advances in the safety dept.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Wed May 05, 2010 5:23 pm

Vaultdadof2 wrote:Look at the area around the pit. If he misses to the right he will come down on a nice 4' high pointed steel fence post. I guess there have been some advances in the safety dept.

They were highly motivated to land in the middle of the pit, unlike today's vaulters.

KirkB
PV Rock Star
Expertise: Former College Vaulter; Former Elite Vaulter; Former Coach; Fan
Lifetime Best: 5.34
Favorite Vaulter: Thiago da Silva

Unread postby KirkB » Wed May 05, 2010 11:33 pm

Vaultdadof2 wrote:Look at the area around the pit. If he misses to the right he will come down on a nice 4' high pointed steel fence post. I guess there have been some advances in the safety dept.

The posts are probably further away from the pit than they look, and the liklihood of getting impaled on one is probably quite low. However, they're probably not as far away as they should be ... anything less than 4' is too close, IMHO. And they should be slanted outwards, to eliminate ANY possibility of a serious injury.

This is just common sense ... it doesn't even cost anything to be super-safe! :star:

Kirk
Run. Plant. Jump. Stretch. Whip. Extend. Fly. Clear. There is no tuck! THERE IS NO DELAY!

master
PV Lover
Expertise: Masters Vaulter, Volunteer HS Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 4.36m

Unread postby master » Thu May 06, 2010 2:13 am

ras wrote:Yes, back in the "good old days" we always had "pole catchers". I was surprised when I got back into the sport a few years ago to see that the vaulters just let their poles fall to the ground. This would have got you a few extra laps in the old days. Don't know if we were just overly protective of the poles back then or if pole technology is so much better that you don't need to worry about it anymore.

I began to learn the vault as a sophomore in HS in 1962. We had a sawdust pit, steel and aluminum poles and yes, those terrible triangular cross section cross bars that would cut into your shins, forearms and head if you dared confront one of them. And yes we caught the poles (at least once we started using a fiberglass pole the following year).

My observation included seeing two people on the mats. I don't recall ever recall seeing that; but I was never in a competition where the bar was at 19' :eek: I was just thinking about the potential for an accident if the vaulter were ever to have a problem. And I also don't remember ever seeing someone get on the pit to retrieve a pole. They waited for it to come back toward the runway. Of course back when I vaulted in HS and college we didn't have pits that you could "walk" on. Oh the memories of the net bags of pieces of scrap foam rubber... just put them in the location where you expected to land :P .... and then hope like hell you did!
- master . . . http://www.plvlt.com

Return to “Pole Vault - Historical”