history of altius poles?

A forum to discuss pole vaulting related things of a historical nature.
dheldr01
PV Nerd
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie

history of altius poles?

Unread postby dheldr01 » Sun May 09, 2010 5:32 pm

Does anyone know the history of these poles? The different models and years they were manufactured. This is a topic I am very curious about as I have a collection of many different wraps and styles of altius poles. I'm just looking for the history of them. Thanks

CowtownPV
PV Follower
Expertise: HS coach
Favorite Vaulter: Bob

Re: history of altius poles?

Unread postby CowtownPV » Sat Jul 10, 2010 6:31 pm

Paul Richards, son of Bob Richards, had once made sky poles but sold them and after a couple of years and then got back into the business making Altius poles. The poles were a painted sky blue for many years and then Paul experimented with several different blue, navy blue, blue and white, blue and red tape jobs. The poles were made in Dallas for a long time and then Midlothian. A few years back Carl and Jeff Erickson bought half of Altius and a year later bought Paul out completely. The poles are now made in Jacksonville, TX and I think the fiberglass are mainly orange and white and the carbons (something Altius added after they took over) have a yellow tape job. I have had vaulters on Altius poles since the 80's and think they are an excellent pole.
Winners find a way to win, losers find an excuse.

Return to “Pole Vault - Historical”