Steve Smith

A forum to discuss pole vaulting related things of a historical nature.
fishman4god
PV Pro
Expertise: 4 Time all american 3 college 1 masters,Current high school pole vault coach,current masters vaulter
Lifetime Best: 4.81 m
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Tim Mack

Steve Smith

Unread postby fishman4god » Mon Jul 09, 2012 12:31 pm

Anyone have a video of Steve Smith pole vaulting from a skateboard downhill? (Yes he really did it), but would love to see the video!

birdi_gurlie
PV Pro

Re: Steve Smith

Unread postby birdi_gurlie » Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:41 pm

I was under the impression that it was impossible to jump off a skateboard! We tried it one time at my high school because well, that's what high school guys do. We tried it a few times before my math-centric coach said "Guys, I'm no sure the physics here are quite right." They almost face-planted a few times.
"That's how God's Word vaults across the skies from sunrise to sunset" Psalm 19:6

PV2020
PV Whiz
Expertise: Former College Vaulter
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Lázaro Borges

Re: Steve Smith

Unread postby PV2020 » Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:50 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4kqA0xfGws

Not who you are asking for, but this guy does a pretty good job at it. 4.60m.

And the physics argument is you can not jump forward on a skateboard because the wheels will slip out, this is why you have to jump straight up. It also kind of teaches you long jump technique as it is the same principle. The forward part of the jump is almost all gained from the speed of the run, and then you should concentrate on jumping straight up to raise your center of mass, not trying to push your legs to jump out like in a broad jump. This is why you can jump up on a skateboard, but if you were to try a standing broad jump on one you would land flat on your face.

Return to “Pole Vault - Historical”