History of the Pole Vault

A forum to discuss pole vaulting related things of a historical nature.
BobInReno
PV Newbie
Expertise: Former Army Vaulter, Composite/Pole Craftman
Lifetime Best: 17'4"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Bob Seagren

Re: History of the Pole Vault

Unread postby BobInReno » Thu Oct 29, 2009 2:45 pm

I worked at Cat-A-Pole in the late 60's and early seventy's. I knew Herb Jenks and learned a bunch from him. I also knew George Moore and have met Dan Heidorn a few times. When Cat-A-Ploe was in Anaheim I was cunsulting with Dick Moore who was the Engineer there in the 1980's. When Cat-A-Pole (Dura-Fiber) decided to make snow ski's in the early 70's I was envolved with that. Little know fact....Herb Jenks helped me design a Snow Surf Board that is commonly know as a Snowboard today in 1969. Should of followed through on that design but I did not. The ski area's would not let me on the slopes with it so I figured it would never fly...What an idiot I was ! I have pictures of Herb Jenks and Michell Arpin designing skis somewhere and I will try to find them.... BobInReno

BobInReno
PV Newbie

Unread postby BobInReno » Fri Nov 06, 2009 12:59 am

I read a book back in the 1970's about the history of the pole vault. The pole vault for height was credited with a guy by the name of Guts Muth in the 1700's. I remember his name cause my last name is DeMuth and who could forget a name like Guts? Anybody else ever seen this book?

BobInReno
PV Newbie

Unread postby BobInReno » Fri Nov 06, 2009 1:22 am

After my last post I found this on the web.................

"The Saxon educator Johann Guts Muths publishes Gymnastics for the Young. Three years later, he follows up with another book called Games. The idea of both books was that every minute of a schoolboy’s day should be filled with purposeful, directed activity. To Guts Muths, games that operated without special equipment or external controls were bad. On the other hand, games that required special equipment, elaborate rules, and all-powerful judges were good. Games that could not be easily quantified were also bad. Quantification, to Guts Muths, included keeping careful score, calculating time in fifths of seconds, measuring distances to fractions of an inch. Finally, competition was encouraged, with the winners receiving prizes and the losers being shamed. In other words, it could be easily argued that Guts Muths invented modern sports such as the high jump and pole vaulting for height. He also details the framework for other field events such as discus and shotput."

KirkB
PV Rock Star
Expertise: Former College Vaulter; Former Elite Vaulter; Former Coach; Fan
Lifetime Best: 5.34
Favorite Vaulter: Thiago da Silva

Unread postby KirkB » Fri Nov 06, 2009 1:52 am

Bob, the reference you recall reading was written by Ray Kring. It was his Master's Degree Thesis, entitled "An Historical Study of the Pole Vault (1959). This work was post-humously included in the "Illustrated History of the Pole Vault" (Jan Johnson, Russ VerSteeg, Ray Kring 2007). You can buy that book on PVP here: http://www.polevaultpower.com/store/.

It's a very good book, covering everything from 2500 B.C. to 2007! There's a couple pages devoted to GutsMuths ... including pics, drawings, and text ... to much to quote.

In GutsMuths' book "Gymnastik furdie Jungend" (1792), he writes about one 5-2 boy clearing a bar 8-0 from the ground, and speculates that some of his students vaulted "well over 9-0". This was "at least 70 years before vaulting became an athletic contest anywhere else in the world"!

Kring calls GutsMuths "The Father of Modern Pole Vaulting". I endorse this book ... buy it! :yes:

Kirk
Run. Plant. Jump. Stretch. Whip. Extend. Fly. Clear. There is no tuck! THERE IS NO DELAY!

vaultmd
PV Enthusiast
Expertise: Masters Vaulter, Coach, Doctor
Lifetime Best: 475
Favorite Vaulter: Laura Huarte

Unread postby vaultmd » Fri Nov 06, 2009 5:30 am

Is that the same Kring that owns Tailwind Productions (Heroes)?

KirkB
PV Rock Star
Expertise: Former College Vaulter; Former Elite Vaulter; Former Coach; Fan
Lifetime Best: 5.34
Favorite Vaulter: Thiago da Silva

Unread postby KirkB » Fri Nov 06, 2009 2:23 pm

I don't know the ownership of Tailwind Productions, but I think that's his pic on their logo. Ray is no longer with us.

Kirk
Run. Plant. Jump. Stretch. Whip. Extend. Fly. Clear. There is no tuck! THERE IS NO DELAY!

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Fri Nov 06, 2009 3:49 pm

Aww c'mon guys, you should know I had that info posted here... viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2308

BobInReno
PV Newbie

Unread postby BobInReno » Sat Nov 07, 2009 6:36 pm

OK....I will buy the book....LOL

Return to “Pole Vault - Historical”