Helmets

Discussion about ways to make the sport safer and discussion of past injuries so we can learn how to avoid them in the future.
rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Tue Nov 05, 2002 12:37 am

PVJunkie wrote:BUT 2 of the deaths that occured this year were from falls from the height of the mat (below 6' in height) and if we could prevent one more death (do everthing REASONABLY within our power) isnt it worth it.

I think all this discussion about helmets is great :yes:

With those 2 deaths though... why are we not putting more of an emphasis on schools following the existing guidelines regarding covering the hard surfaces? That is much cheaper than buying new pits... I mean I understand that the new pit size is mandatory now. But everywhere I go I see so many schools that are not properly covering the area around the pit. It is not that hard to be innovative and find some junky old gymnastics or wrestling mats to put around the pit :dazed:

Decamouse
PV Great
Expertise: Masters vaulter, coach, USATF Official
Favorite Vaulter: Kate Dennison

Unread postby Decamouse » Tue Nov 05, 2002 11:00 am

I was ask last year by some USATF poeple and people looking out for the best interest of PV if I would start wearing a helmet - in some sense to show that even those of us that have been in T&F for a few years could see the benifit - does it add some degree of protection - undoubtly yes - do I notice it when I vault now - no - as an Engineer - can I see benifits that outway the minimal weight - yes - PS. I swiped my daughters PV helmet since Wisc requires them. (See gets a new one)
Plant like crap sometimes ok most times

PinkPoleVaulter
PV Newbie

Unread postby PinkPoleVaulter » Tue Nov 05, 2002 10:09 pm

PinkPoleVaulter wrote::yes: If you feel safer wearing a helmet, go right on ahead.

I should have known better than to get into a written dispute with pole vaulters over a message board. Yikes! :confused:

:star: Okay, here's my thing: I don't want to wear a helmet, not because I am worried about being considered a "nerd" as PV Junkie put it. The question of my confidence is not quite as clear as the question of PV Junkie's tactfulness.:)(Its a joke, don't retaliate!) And he is right. I am a young vaulter who hears exactly what she wants to hear. :D

Please don't take me that seriously. I am likely to change my mind when I have kids of my own.

:star: I do not want to wear a helmet simply because it is my choice and I, personally, am not worried about dying while vaulting. If push came to shove, and the event, wich I so dearly love, was at risk, I would strap one on my head a take off down the runway faster than you could blink your eyes. It is not my place to ridicule or belittle anyone who chooses to wear a helmet either.

I loved what ttuvaulter said about how we are not helmet wearing vaulters or non-helmet wearing vaulters. We are all pole vaulters. Pole Vaulters are usually the ones who unite on the track. We catch our opponnents steps and offer up our equiptment for their use if needed. Isn't it beautiful?

This is the last time I will view this part of the message board because I do not wich to change anyone's mind, only express what is on my own. I admit that my view has been enlightened, not by the harassment that some had to offer, but by the pure, honest, love of the sport that was expressed in a few of the messages (ttuvaulters previous letter for ex.).

I know, I know. I'm a young person who has to get the last word. Hehe.
Life's battles don't always go
To the stronger or faster man.
Sooner or later the man who wins
Is the one who thinks he can.

chris8sirhc
PV Newbie

false sense of security

Unread postby chris8sirhc » Sun Nov 24, 2002 10:35 pm

Im not a pole vaulter, but i did run track and i found this forum and checked it out. If you want any real protection for your yead, your going to have to wear a full face helmet (like dirt bike riders, and downhill mtn bike riders wear). A pro-tec helmet will do absolutly nothing if you fall face. Ive see alot of injuries where someones head landed on a rock mtn biking(basicly what pavement is) and the helmet did almost nothing to help them. (but rocks arent flat like pavent is, so the force would be more spread out in a pavement colission, and mtn bike wrecks are at a much higher speed) I'm not shure how much a pro tec helmet would help someone much if they did fall on the pavement.

Russ
PV Master

Unread postby Russ » Mon Nov 25, 2002 12:27 pm

So, who knows the REAL, ACTUAL, CURRENT status of pv helmet research?

Are there actually any engineers or research institutes or helmet manufacturers actively working on a pv helmet-specific design? If so, what's on the drawing board?

I've read that some states are requiring helemts? What does that mean? Are those state statutes (i.e., legal laws written on the books) passed by the legislatures? Or does that mean that the state high school athletic assoc. has passes a local/state rule requiring helmets?

If someone can asnswer the last question, then which states have passed such rules?

By the way, I've already bought my helmet for this coming indoor season. I suppose that because I'm a masters vaulter (45 yrs old), I know that I'm not invincible (a decidedly different story from when I vaulted in high school in the early 70's).
Russ

"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

wacky274
PV Follower

Unread postby wacky274 » Mon Nov 25, 2002 4:04 pm

russ, i just think it's cool that you're 45 at still at it....to me thats awesome and shows a whole lotta love for the event, so best of luck to you in your next season
Champions aren't made in gyms. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them-a desire, a dream, a vision. They have to have last-minute stamina, they have to be a little faster, they have to have the skill and the will. But the will must be stronger than the skill. - Muhammad Ali

Talent in cheaper than table salt. What separates the talented individual from the successful one is a lot of hard work.
-Stephen King

Russ
PV Master

Unread postby Russ » Mon Nov 25, 2002 4:30 pm

Hey Wacky,

Thanks for your encouragement.

I call myself a "masters vaulter" but that may be misleading. The last time that I actually vaulted in a meet was when I was a senior in high school (1975). Then at the end of May this year I woke up one morning and realized that I had had a dream about pole vaulting. I'm not making this up. I decided then and there to begin training to vault again. I had done some marathoning in the mid-90's but I had not been in very good shape in the past 2-3 years. Now, I've lost about 15 lbs. and I've been running, lifting, and doing gymnastics religiously ever since. My basement has a treadmill, NordicTrac, stationary bike, a chin-up bar, and two ropes. In another week or two the cub that I've joined is supposed to begin having access to an indoor facility and THEN I'll be able to call myself a "masters vaulter." In the meanwile, I'm training and wondering what it'll be like when I actually get airborne after having been "grounded" for 27 years.

I teach a course called Sports Law at New England School of Law in Boston (I'm on the full-time faculty) and so I'm very interested in the safety/liability aspects of the sport and the issues related to helmets.
Russ

"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

vaultfan

Unread postby vaultfan » Tue Nov 26, 2002 10:15 am

Russ, I'm not sure if this will be of much help to you in determining the status of the helmet research, but the following are a few things that I've located:

Changes sought to increase pole vault safety
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/preps/st ... tebook.htm

Cynthia Doyle, an assistant director for the National Federation and the liaison to the rules committee, said Thursday the committee would propose enlarging the landing pad to 19 feet, 8 inches wide and 16 feet, 5 inches extending out from the bar. The pad minimums had been 16 by 12 feet.

Doyle said the committee won't recommend that vaulters be required to wear helmets. She said results from an independent study on helmets won't be ready until November.

The “Big 10 Conference Adopts Additional Rule Changes for the pole vaultâ€Â

wacky274
PV Follower

Unread postby wacky274 » Tue Nov 26, 2002 7:33 pm

my opinion, i dont mind if someone else chooses to wear a helmet, thats there choice, but i should not be forced to wear one...thats the way i look at it...just let it be as it is, more people are voluntarily wearing them anyway, so just i think they should leave it be
Champions aren't made in gyms. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them-a desire, a dream, a vision. They have to have last-minute stamina, they have to be a little faster, they have to have the skill and the will. But the will must be stronger than the skill. - Muhammad Ali

Talent in cheaper than table salt. What separates the talented individual from the successful one is a lot of hard work.

-Stephen King

VaultFreak
PV Whiz

Unread postby VaultFreak » Wed Nov 27, 2002 7:24 pm

yeah :yes:
Pole Vaulters get high!

xtremevaulter

My Feeling

Unread postby xtremevaulter » Mon Dec 09, 2002 1:52 pm

Honestly it should be up to the Vaulter. I recently bought a helmet but I rarely use it. Mainly for the reason on the durability of the pit. Some pole vault pits suck hard core and I dont feel safe on them I will wear a helmet.

But besides that I think that helmets provide a false sense of security because out of the three deaths that occured this year two of them were neck injuries and a helmet would not have stopped anyone from breaking a neck.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Re: My Feeling

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Mon Dec 09, 2002 2:32 pm

xtremevaulter wrote:Honestly it should be up to the Vaulter. I recently bought a helmet but I rarely use it. Mainly for the reason on the durability of the pit. Some pole vault pits suck hard core and I dont feel safe on them I will wear a helmet.

Ha you wore that helmet almost all summer! I think you just wanted to be cool like Molly ;)

Return to “Pole Vault Safety”