Legal question

Discussion about ways to make the sport safer and discussion of past injuries so we can learn how to avoid them in the future.
rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Re: Legal question

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:47 am

crayford wrote:At one of the places we vault against during the season the standards frequently fall, so they put some cement bricks on the bases; only problem was that they didn't have anything covering them.

The same school also had extremely small pits, maybe 3 feet sideways and back from the coach's box and MAYBE 2 feet tall. They are easily the smallest pits I have ever seen and I was a little afraid to jump on them (especially since they wouldn't move the pits from headwind to tail wind, even when we offered to do it for them\ opposing school!).

The high school rule book is really clear that the base pads have to be covered, the penalty for this is the host school is not supposed to host the event and they have to split the points among the other schools.

drcurran
PV Pro
Expertise: Former HS Vaulter, Former College Vaulter, USAT&F Official, PIAA Official
Lifetime Best: 14'
Favorite Vaulter: Brian Sternberg

Unread postby drcurran » Sun Apr 18, 2010 7:07 pm

"The same school also had extremely small pits, maybe 3 feet sideways and back from the coach's box and MAYBE 2 feet tall. They are easily the smallest pits I have ever seen and I was a little afraid to jump on them (especially since they wouldn't move the pits from headwind to tail wind, even when we offered to do it for them\ opposing school!)."

If the pit does not meet NHSF rules. Your coach should not allow you to compete at that site. Take the 9 points, and move on.
I'm not as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was!
TK

crayford
PV Fan
Expertise: Current High School Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 14'3"

Unread postby crayford » Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:48 pm

those dimensions were just rough guestimations, but I'm pretty sure they were the bare minimum allowed.

I did not know about the standard coverings though, and I'll be sure to keep a look out for it anymore. They did have two people standing right next to the standards for adjustment though (maybe they're supposed to jump underneath us?). <--- THAT'S A JOKE

It sucks that at that meet out of our 5 vaulters 4 of us no heighted, and only one of their's cleared a height; there really was no third place that meet.
Hips to nips

Return to “Pole Vault Safety”