padding

Discussion about ways to make the sport safer and discussion of past injuries so we can learn how to avoid them in the future.
prueittray
PV Beginner

padding

Unread postby prueittray » Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:19 am

Hi,

In regards to the top common pad that connects all of the base pads together, is there any rule about minimum or maximum thickness of padding in that layer? I have an older pit and want to upgrade. I was thinking of the egg crate foam or the 2" mattress style foam. Any suggestions, ideas? Any suppliers that will be better than buying matress size plots and cutting to fit?

Thanks,

Ray
prueitt_r@westcler.org

Vaultref
PV Pro
Expertise: Master USATF official .. Vertical jumps specialty
Lifetime Best: zero feet

Re: padding

Unread postby Vaultref » Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:29 am

Hello Ray,

Surprisingly, I know it did me when I checked on this a number of years ago, there is no min/max spec for top cover thickness.

Each rule code (NFHS, NCAA, USATF and IAAF) has some specifics, but none actually come on and say it has to be xxx" thick. You could secure all the sections with a tarp from Home depot and still meet the requirement. While that would probably work well on a high jump system, I'd feel a bit uneasy if that were done to a pole vault system. That gap that
always develops between the font and rear pads would become a hazard.

However, I can't think I've ever seen a high jump or pole vault landing system anywhere I been that did not have a "common" top cover that wasn't approximately two inches thick. I'd use that figure as a guide.
Sorry, I can't help you in finding a supplier for the material.

NZ Vaulter
PV Fan

Re: padding

Unread postby NZ Vaulter » Fri Apr 15, 2011 4:10 am

Manufacturers can make to suit. E.g. every mat I have made for us is done to 4inches (100mm, 10cm)

Obviously you will pay more but the top pad will last longer and not break up as quick as one under 2inches, and the foam materials will be of a better quality.

2 inches is fine though any smaller and you run the risk of being exposed to the gaps where the mats join.

IF you want custom be prepared to pay a little more :idea:

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=3 ... 9364&saved
NZ Vaulter

Return to “Pole Vault Safety”