Accident in Oregon

Discussion about ways to make the sport safer and discussion of past injuries so we can learn how to avoid them in the future.
belmore
PV Pro

Unread postby belmore » Sat Apr 17, 2004 10:35 pm

I haven't watched this video of this incident. Reckon I probably will not. In real life I am a field superintedent for a construction firm. I know some people think I don't have a job and just hang around a pole vault pit all the time, at least my wife does. Back in 98 one of my crew members fell off a 10' step ladder. OSHA rules prohibit standing on the last two rungs of these type ladders. He was probably standing with his feet at about 7'4", he was about 5'8", he lost his balance and fell face forward from the ladder. These are not extreme heights in construction or pole vaulting. He fell forward, tried to stop his fall, failed. The damage from the impact was mortal. I held his head while cpr was done. This is the image that is always with me when I coach my vaulters. I may err on the side of safety, maybe I kept a kid from holding higher when he could, or go to that bigger pole when maybe it was the right time to go. But, I sure get attached to the athletes, pole vaulters are some of the greatest people to hang out with and I guess I get selfish and want them to come back the next day and jump some more. This event is so open to those freaky little accidents that just happen, an inch one way , a pound over a pole weight, a little too much adrenaline, sometimes a bad result. This young lady's heartfelt article she wrote and her coach being right there touched me, I hope they are both okay, this is a spooky event sometimes. You're gonna get hurt, it's just a question of how bad. Let's keep it safe and just shoot for bruises and aches and pains and a hurt ego now and then
compete and jump safe, have fun

lonestar
PV Lover

Unread postby lonestar » Mon Apr 19, 2004 12:51 am

Mandatory coaching certification and more certified officials to make sure the pit is set correctly and risks are minimized.
Any scientist who can't explain to an eight-year-old what he is doing is a charlatan. K Vonnegut

Return to “Pole Vault Safety”