Pole Vault Box Location

Discussion about ways to make the sport safer and discussion of past injuries so we can learn how to avoid them in the future.
CoachGreenbaum
PV Newbie
Expertise: College Vaulter and High School Coach
Lifetime Best: 16'1
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Stacy Dragila

Pole Vault Box Location

Unread postby CoachGreenbaum » Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:41 pm

Hello Vaulters and Vault coaches. I am a high school pole vault coach and our school is in the process of raising money for a new track and field / football stadium. The design right now is to have the pole vault box and runway be at one of the endzones of the field. I however would love to have the pole vault to be taken off the track all together. I would love to have it on the side of the stadium where more people could come watch, less chances of people crossing the runway, and it will not be next to the high jump or long/tripple jump pit. I have the perfect location in mind, but it is an extra cost and the school decided that they would consider the location only if I could prove how it would be safer for the vaulters. They agree with everything I say, but they need some sort of statistical data or any type of data to help support the ideas that I have. I think it is clear for us vaulters and coaches why we want to be away from the hustle and bustle of the track and have our own sanctuary, but it is nothing more than a money concern for our funders. Does anyone know of any studies, data, or documents that can help me build my dream vaulting sanctuary? Please share if you do.

All I have so far are pictures of some schools that have already taken the pole vault off the main area of the track and field.

Thank you,

Coach Ben Greenbaum

botakatobi
PV Whiz
Expertise: Former vaulter. College, HS and elite coach. Master level USATF official
Lifetime Best: 15'1"
Favorite Vaulter: Seagren, Davies, Meadows, Rand

Re: Pole Vault Box Location

Unread postby botakatobi » Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:31 pm

As a former vaulter, coach and official I have seen the venue about everywhere in and outside the oval.

Ideally it should be in an area where the cross traffic is minimal.
It should be sheltered as much as possible from significant head or cross winds.
It should be placed where coaches and fans can easily watch it.
It should not be near any stationary objects that would pose a danger. Fences, electrical boxes, railings, etc.
It should not be within any throwing sector like the jav, discus, hammer or shot.
It should be away from low lying areas that tend to flood when it rains or sprinklers are used.
It should have a soft surface all around the pit. If not real grass, it should have additional padding outside the pit if the outside surface is hard.
I'm sure I left something out!

botakatobi
PV Whiz
Expertise: Former vaulter. College, HS and elite coach. Master level USATF official
Lifetime Best: 15'1"
Favorite Vaulter: Seagren, Davies, Meadows, Rand

Unread postby botakatobi » Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:35 pm

I forgot to add...

Ensure it is in an area that has lights when the event goes into the night!

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Tue Sep 11, 2012 5:18 pm

Contact Jan Johnson jan@skyjumpers.com

He has the information on all of the catastrophic pole vault accidents and could probably tell you where the pit/runway was located for most of them.

I would assume that having the pit in the endzone means it is surrounded by concrete or track surface. In order the make a pit safe there, the school would ideally need to purchase additional padding to go around it (which often gets misplaced/stolen/misused). If moving the pit outside the track means it is surrounded by a softer surface, you're looking at a safer situation.

CoachGreenbaum
PV Newbie
Expertise: College Vaulter and High School Coach
Lifetime Best: 16'1
Favorite Vaulter: Stacy Dragila

Unread postby CoachGreenbaum » Wed Sep 19, 2012 12:04 pm

Thank you everyone for your responses. Even this discussion of facts will help my cause.

Coach Greenbaum

Return to “Pole Vault Safety”