Colin Cassady - 2014 Severe Head Injury

Discussion about ways to make the sport safer and discussion of past injuries so we can learn how to avoid them in the future.
rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Colin Cassady - 2014 Severe Head Injury

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Thu Apr 03, 2014 8:50 pm

I am sorry to have to add another injury to the list. I don't know the full details of the incident yet, but what I have heard is that on Monday, March 31, Colin Cassady, a pole vaulter for Long Beach State was home on spring break and practicing at his local high school when he suffered a severe injury.

His family has started a GoFundMe account to help cover his medical expenses. Because he was outside of school practice, I assume that the school and NCAA coverage does not apply. I assume his family has medical insurance for him, you typically have to have your own coverage to be a college student, but there are always lots of expenses beyond what insurance covers.

http://www.gofundme.com/7zcrmk

On March 31st, my brother, Colin Cassady, was in a very serious Pole Vaulting accident, with a severe brain injury, skull fracture and lung contusion. This morning, April 1st, he underwent surgery, and is still unconscious and unresponsive. Doctors are monitoring the pressure in his head after removing the right side of his skull, placing it into his abdomen for safe keeping until they can replace it in approximately 2 months. Doctors anticipate a 2 week hospital stay in ICU. Our family is so fortunate to have a wonderful support group of family and friends. Colin must be in at least 100 prayer circles around the world. The ICU family waiting room has been almost full for the past 24 hours with our awesome friends and family in support of his surgery and recovery. Unfortunately this type of injury and treatment is costly. While the ICU does not allow flowers, we humbly request a donation in honor of Colin to cover his current and future medical costs. Any amount is appreciated and gratefully accepted. From our family to yours, God Bless

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Re: Colin Cassady - 2014 Severe Head Injury

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Thu Apr 03, 2014 8:57 pm

Updates from http://www.gofundme.com/7zcrmk

Updated posted by Colin Cassady 1 day ago

Hey everyone, I finally got a computer up and running in the ICU waiting room here. I have done my absolute best to respond to everyone who have been so kind and is supporting my brother. Please keep spreading the word about this web page for him. My family values your continued support. #ClearItForColin #PrayForColin

Thank you and another update will be up soon.

-Taylor (Colin's younger sister)

UPDATE: Right now Colin has a 100.3 fever. They are watching it and are going to give him some Tylenol. He is the first on the list to be seen by the nutritionist here. Since he was admitted Monday, he hasn't been able to eat anything or get any food into his system because of medications, surgery, and his critical condition. He has lost four pounds but is finally going to get some food into his system hopefully within the next 15 minutes. We have Ron Pope Radio turned on for him and playing to keep the mood light and relaxed so his blood pressure and inter cranial pressure stays down.

We are giving Colin some time to rest today. Waiting to hear from my mom information on whether or not Colin is being fed yet. I know they put the feeding tube in already, but I'm not sure whether or not the nutritionist is here or has seen Colin. I do know that Colin is number one on the list to see today. I will keep you updated.

Updated posted by Colin Cassady 23 hours ago

Hi all! I just got back from visiting Colin in his room. We are just trying to keep him calm and keep his pressures from going up. He starts moving and we have to remind him where he is and what happened to keep him calm. His white blood cell count is 20,000 and normal is 5,000 to 10,000. We are trying to get that number down as well. Also, he does have his feeding tube in and is finally getting some food into his body. It may not be the in-n-out burger he wants, but it is one step closer to it. His temperature is 100.2 and we have a fan set up for him :) Thank you for the prayers and thoughtful messages and donations. Last thing, I received a picture message this morning from Colin's coach at Cal State Long Beach. The team decided to shave their heads in support of Colin. #ColinSupportGroup #CSULBsupportsColin #PrayForColin #ClearItForColin

Updated posted by Colin Cassady 19 hours ago

Just checking in with everyone. My mom is in Colin's room sleeping with him and keeping him calm and stable. Prayers are being answered, so please keep them coming in our direction. Will update again on the next major event. Until then, please keep sharing this page and the support for my brother, Colin.

Updated posted by Colin Cassady 6 hours ago

I took the morning shift of being with Colin in his room today. I spent a good four or five hours in with him and he was calm and resting. He still in not conscious and has not woken up since the accident Monday morning. However, Colin being in a state of peace is an amazing thing. Our friend Marquis from high school track and field was kind enough to stop by this morning with a card and photos printed out for Colin and a cd of all the photos he took during Colin's high school track years for my family. I wanted to take this moment to let everyone know that although they do not allow flowers in the ICU, we can put cards and photos in there. I know our friend Marcello also brought a photo last night with a message on it for Colin. If you cannot spare any donation, that is okay. The support behind photos and cards is equal. I have also been asked about whether or not people can come and visit Colin. My answer to that is this: Colin's stability is first and foremost on the list of priorities. So it depends on how stable he is at the time you come to visit. However, my family does appreciate each and every one of you who stops by to lend a hug or two and some conversation to keep us sane. We have also started some journals that you can write messages in for Colin. He will enjoy reading them when he wakes up and it also lets him know who was here to visit and when. I know the journals will have a powerful affect on him because of the constant love and support from all of you. The doctor is in the ICU and my mom just went back, I'll update when I find out what is going on.

Updated posted by Colin Cassady 5 hours ago

Just wanted to update. The nurse came and got my mom because she just wanted to make sure the doctor got to update my mom personally on my brother's condition and to just make sure she is doing okay. All is good.

Return to “Pole Vault Safety”