Incidents Involving Winged Box Collars

Discussion about ways to make the sport safer and discussion of past injuries so we can learn how to avoid them in the future.
rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Incidents Involving Winged Box Collars

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Sun Feb 22, 2015 3:00 pm

If you witnessed an incident involving a winged box collar, please post it here, with as much information as possible. This doesn't have to be all negative, if a box collar saved your athlete, include that here too!

If you cannot post publicly about the incident, email me the information and I will save it and just make a note that it is data I have. becca@polevaultpower.com

Please do not name the athletes involved.

Date of incident:
Location of meet:
School the athlete was representing:
Personal best of athlete:
Height athlete was attempting (if during competition):
Pole and grip the athlete was using:
Pole and grip the athlete used on the previous jump:
Describe what happened:
Was the athlete injured? If so, describe the injury and their recovery:
Brand of Box Collar:
When (approximately) was the box collar purchased:
Any other relevant information:

Please post a link to video if you have it.

polebender
PV Newbie
Expertise: Former Elite Vaulter, Coach
Lifetime Best: 5.60m
Favorite Vaulter: Tully and Bubka

Re: Incidents Involving Winged Box Collars

Unread postby polebender » Mon Feb 23, 2015 8:00 pm

Date of incident: 2-21-2015
Location of meet: Copperas Cove, Texas
School the athlete was representing: China Spring High School
Personal best of athlete: 16'-1"
Height athlete was attempting (if during competition): 15'-0"
Pole and grip the athlete was using: 15'-1" 165lb pole gripping 14'-8"
Pole and grip the athlete used on the previous jump: Same, 15'-1" 165lb pole gripping 14'-8"
Describe what happened: As the pole tip entered box, the pole tip struck the obstructing right side angled box collar wing and deflected or bounced the pole out of the box and upward, directing the pole tip above box collar, then sliding on top of box collar, into the front of pit. This resulted in the vaulters takeoff step to pole tip distance being off by approximately 1-2 feet. This resulted in a severely over bent pole and out of position vaulter, which then caused an ejection, thrusting the vaulter back down the runway and to the left. The vaulter held on to the pole during entire incident, turning 180 degrees back toward the runway and luckily landed safely on his feet.
Was the athlete injured? If so, describe the injury and their recovery: Slightly sprained ankle on landing.
Brand of Box Collar: Gill version with wings.
When (approximately) was the box collar purchased: Unknown
Any other relevant information: Video of this incident here http://youtu.be/uXw0X71sBZQ

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Tue Feb 24, 2015 2:02 pm

Video of Jack Whitt's pole deflection incident: https://instagram.com/p/vj4P77o04V/?modal=true

advath
PV Whiz
Expertise: I have coached a 13' high school girl, 17' high school boy, NCAA Champion and number 1 HS sprinters

Unread postby advath » Sun Mar 01, 2015 3:21 pm

2/28/23015
At the Santa Margarita HS Invitational, a California, witnessed by CIF Official Michael Ramoska
Between the red lines is over the box. The pole tip hit where that black dot is and bounced up above the back of the box into the pit above the back of the box pad.
Attachments
2015-03-01_11.10.23-1-1.jpg
2015-03-01_11.10.23-1-1.jpg (183.6 KiB) Viewed 36886 times

Skyfly
PV Nerd
Expertise: Former High School Vaulter, High School and Club Coach

Unread postby Skyfly » Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:11 pm

Date of incident: 2/28/15
Location of meet: Eastern Michigan University
School the athlete was representing: Inversion Vault Club
Personal best of athlete: 15'0
Height athlete was attempting (if during competition): 14'9
Pole and grip the athlete was using: UCS 15'1 170 grip at 14'1
Pole and grip the athlete used on the previous jump: UCS 15'1 170 grip at 14'1
Describe what happened: After a previously successful jump, the first jump at the next height resulted in the athlete getting stopped at vertical and coming straight down into the box. The athlete landed with one foot striking nothing except the bottom of the box. The rest of their body landed on the pads surrounding the box and not the collar itself.
Was the athlete injured? If so, describe the injury and their recovery: Bruised heel. Was able to continue competing but his performance was hampered.
Brand of Box Collar: Gill
When (approximately) was the box collar purchased: Unknown
Any other relevant information: After the failed attempt, it was noticed that the box collar was hanging over the top edge of the box by at least 1 inch. In coaching this athlete for 3 years, this is the first time he has ever come up short like this. Upon watching a video replay the pole appears to be rotating normally and then stops prematurely. It is assumed that the pole hit the over hanging edge of the collar causing the pole to rotate less than normal. The angle of the video did not allow for actual confirmation of this as the collar is blocked from view.

Decamouse
PV Great
Expertise: Masters vaulter, coach, USATF Official
Favorite Vaulter: Kate Dennison

Unread postby Decamouse » Thu Mar 05, 2015 8:46 pm

Gill continues to advertise that winged collars are required for High School - yes NCAA specifically required them- yet the emails I have from the powers to be at NFHS do not back that up -- also - Wings are not a problem if you fix the design -- posted that almost two years ago - concept is fine - just fix the design - ok it may cost a little more to cut the material properly - or lets just see what happens??? They are very good at removing comments about this on their facebook posts - usually within 15 min to 1/2 hour - took snapshots to document - really telling and sad - money talks -
Plant like crap sometimes ok most times

cdmilton
PV Follower
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Coach
Lifetime Best: 16-0(4.88)

Unread postby cdmilton » Fri Mar 06, 2015 2:09 pm

Decamouse wrote:Gill continues to advertise that winged collars are required for High School - yes NCAA specifically required them- yet the emails I have from the powers to be at NFHS do not back that up

Please elaborate on your point about it not being an official requirement...

I bought the UCS box collar as I fell better about being able to install it and anchor it to the ground so it will not move.
Chris Milton

Decamouse
PV Great

Unread postby Decamouse » Fri Mar 06, 2015 4:04 pm

NFHS stated they require compliance with ASTM - it is the manufacture that states they comply -- NCAA stated they need to be version with wings - NFHS does not - so the UCS is acceptable -Gill says/implies that NFHS requires wings which is not true - NFHS requires an ASTM box collar

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Sat Mar 07, 2015 12:41 am

I agree with Decamouse. I spoke about this in-person with Becky Oakes in December. The NFHS requires you to use a collar that states it meets the ASTM standard. The NFHS is not attempting to interpret the standard or figure out if a certain collar actually meets the standard, nor do they expect high school coaches or administrators to do so. If there is an issue, then that will be on that manufacturer in a lawsuit.

Darth Vaulter
PV Whiz
Expertise: High School Coach, Former High School Vaulter, Masters Vaulter

Unread postby Darth Vaulter » Sat Mar 07, 2015 8:02 am

rainbowgirl28 wrote:I agree with Decamouse. I spoke about this in-person with Becky Oakes in December. The NFHS requires you to use a collar that states it meets the ASTM standard. The NFHS is not attempting to interpret the standard or figure out if a certain collar actually meets the standard, nor do they expect high school coaches or administrators to do so. If there is an issue, then that will be on that manufacturer in a lawsuit.

The NFHS rules require "planting box padding meeting the applicable ASTM Specification Standard" NOT padding "that states it meets the ASTM standard." The lawsuit against the manufacturer that is blithley referred to above will be a lawsuit that has the high school's coaches and administrators as parties. If that lawsuit involves the UCS collar, there is a greater liability risk for the coaches and administrators who chose the UCS collar that might meet the ASTM standard rather than the Gill collar that clearly does. Becky Oakes' conversation with Becca in December 2014 will be of no use in that lawsuit. Until the NFHS rule is changed, the ASTM standard is changed or clarified, or the question of whether the UCS collar meets the current ASTM standard is resolved, the Gill collar is the prudent choice from a risk management standpoint.
May the Force be with you!

Decamouse
PV Great

Unread postby Decamouse » Sat Mar 07, 2015 8:14 am

So in your opinion the Gill collar meets this std - or did ASTM appoint you as the person that decides - I will also stated and have for two years that the Gill collar does not meet all of the wording in ASTM std -- this has been relayed to Gill and their upper management contacted to me to discuss these concerns - how can you state the UCS is any less compliant that the Gill version -- check this web site - I have even posted some of these issue here - If you feel this is the place to discussion -- it real does come down to the manufacturer states and must defend - what we say is our opinion

Decamouse
PV Great

Unread postby Decamouse » Sat Mar 07, 2015 9:05 am

Some of the wording from the ASTM std -- "allow the pole to bend undisturbed" "5.11 The bend cavity must allow the pole to bend into the corners formed by the sidewalls and the strike plate" -- Which do you think in compliant with these parts of the ASTM standard -- now if we are having poles deflected out -- remember standard clearly says "if" it has wings - NCAA understood this - they specifically required the version "including" "Box collar wings" --- now back to wording in the ASTM standard -- "shall allow room for a pole to slide freely down the interior edges of the pole vault box where the sidewalls meet the pole slide" -- so my opinion is that if it gets deflected out before this can happen that this may be an issue. Are all these things fixable - yes - making the sport safer in the goal - are revisions to the Standard needed - in my opinion yes - I am not a lawyer (Engineer by trade) -- so I prefer to stick to facts, reality and not get to emotionally involved - we need to keep moving forward and fix the issues

Return to “Pole Vault Safety”