Austrian Kira Gruenberg Paralyzed

Discussion about ways to make the sport safer and discussion of past injuries so we can learn how to avoid them in the future.
rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Austrian Kira Gruenberg Paralyzed

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Thu Jul 30, 2015 8:49 pm

http://www.dailyjournal.net/view/story/ ... er-Injured

Austrian pole-vaulter Kira Gruenberg 'in serious but stable' condition after training fall

THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
July 30, 2015 - 3:54 pm EDT

INNSBRUCK, Austria — The Austrian athletics federation says the country's leading pole-vaulter was "in serious but stable" condition following surgery on Thursday, hours after she landed beside the mat on her head and neck in a practice jump.

The federation says 21-year-old Kira Gruenberg suffered "severe cervical injuries," and was being treated in the intensive care unit of University Clinic in Innsbruck.

Gruenberg set an Austrian women's record of 4.45 meters during last year's outdoor European Championships in Zurich, and repeated that feat indoors in Prague in March. She finished fourth at the 2012 junior world championships.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Re: Austrian Kira Gruenberg Injured

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Thu Jul 30, 2015 8:54 pm

It sounds like she landed head first in the box :(

Very rough google translation...

http://www.projektrio.at/aktuelles/das- ... eht-weiter

The fear continues

The operations are completed for the time being. Kira Grünberg has to spend the night in the intensive care unit.
Austria's pole vault record holder Kira Grünberg has now injured in a training jump in Innsbruck.

The momentous accident happened in the morning at the start of training in Innsbruck WUB hall.

Father Frithjof, also coaches his daughter saw how they ansetzte the leap with eight steps. And registered that ÖLV-record holder had in all ages too little depth in the jump. The 21-year-old crashed headlong into the puncture-box.

Grünberg has been associated with a suspected severe cervical vertebra injury hospitalized Innsbruck, where she was operated on for hours.

Shortly before 21 clock there was the health of the "athlete of the year" following information from the Austrian Athletics Federation: The operation to its current fall during training has been completed. The state of Kira Grünberg is serious but stable. It is located in the ICU.

Grünberg, who with the ÖLV team won the silver medal at the European Games in Baku, was back after an injury on his way.

After a ligament tear she wanted on Saturday at the Athletics Gala in Linz, the World Cup and Olympic limit of 4.50 m crack.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Re: Austrian Kira Gruenberg Paralyzed

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Fri Jul 31, 2015 1:18 pm

Horrible :(

http://www.dw.com/en/austrias-top-pole- ... a-18619621

Austria's top pole-vaulter paralyzed after training injury

Austrian pole-vaulter Kira Grünberg suffered a serious injury in training and despite emergency surgery, has been left paralyzed by the accident.

Austria's leading pole-vaulter Kira Grünberg has suffered severe cervical injuries after the 21-year-old landed beside the mat on her head and neck in a practice jump. Her injuries have left her tetraplegic.

A statement on Friday from the Austrian athletics federation (ÖLV) and the University Clinic in Innsbruck where Grünberg is being treated revealed "a fracture of the cervical vertebrae of the spine" had been found. The statement added: "After we had diagnosed paraplegia before the operation, the patient received emergency surgery in order to stabilize her spine and avoid further damage."

Trained by her father, Grünberg finished fourth at the 2012 junior world championships before going on to set an Austrian women's record of 4.45 meters during last year's outdoor European Championships in Zurich. She repeated that feat indoors in Prague in March of this year.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Sat Aug 01, 2015 2:06 pm

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/ ... on-her-own

After Devastating Injury, Austrian Pole Vaulter Is Breathing On Her Own
AUGUST 01, 201511:38 AM ET
BILL CHAPPELL

Kira Grunberg, Austria's top women's pole vaulter who suffered a horrible injury during training Thursday, is breathing on her own and could soon leave intensive care. The 21-year-old underwent emergency surgery after fracturing at least one of her cervical vertebrae.

Doctors say the fall has left Grunberg a paraplegic — a development that shocked the sporting world in Europe and brought offers of emotional and financial support for the young athlete who holds Austria's record for the women's pole vault.

Grunberg's parents were present at Thursday's training session, in which she fell and hit her head after attempting what her manager said was a normal practice jump. She was rushed to a hospital in Innsbruck, where surgeons worked to preserve her vital functions.

Doctors say that Grunberg could be transferred to the general ward, reports Austrian media outlet ORF.

The site adds that the Austrian Association of Athletics Federations has announced that it is providing a 10,000 euro emergency fund for Grunberg, and that the Tyrolean Athletics Federation has set up a donation account in he name.

On the athlete's Facebook page, her family and management are thanking her friends and supporters for their solidarity, saying that the accident not only ended her athletic career, but also began a new life for Grunberg.

palm1234
PV Nerd
Expertise: low
Favorite Vaulter: Bubka

Unread postby palm1234 » Fri May 20, 2016 3:50 pm

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge