Metric/English-all is answered

A forum to discuss anything that has to do with pole vaulting that does not fit in the other forums.

Moderators: Russ, lonpvh

TheBlueShadow
PV Beginner
Expertise: Former High School Vaulter, High School Volunteer Coach, Fan, Novice Masters Vaulter

Re: Metric/English-all is answered

Unread postby TheBlueShadow » Tue Jun 09, 2009 8:45 pm

For those who don't want to create one in Excel, here's one that I made. You can enter the values in at the top or search on the charts for what you want.

Let me know what you think.

http://m-fyve.com/storage/Track%20and%20Field/Vault%20Height%20Conversion%20tables.xls

PS: Thanks to dafox for providing a cleaner Excel code than I had. I had to have two seperate columns for the feet and inches to work out.
It's the journey, not the arrival ... that's what I'm all about. -The Reverend Horton Heat

atlegu
PV Whiz
Expertise: Parent, former high school vaulter, coach
Lifetime Best: 3,70
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Sondre and Simen Guttormsen

Unread postby atlegu » Fri Feb 25, 2011 4:22 pm

I believe there are some "rounding" mistakes.

I just checked 8 feet which is 2.4384 meter. However if you jump 8 feet in a competition it will still be just 2.43 meter in metric.

So Feet and inches should always be rounded down to the nearest cm. I still think this one is good though:

http://www.usatf.org/statistics/calculators/markConversions/index.asp

CoachAlBerardi
PV Newbie
Expertise: usatf level 1 coach, npvcaa member, club coach, premasters vaulter
Lifetime Best: 5m
Favorite Vaulter: radion gataullin

Unread postby CoachAlBerardi » Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:09 pm

https://market.android.com/details?id=c ... BhbmlvbiJd

this is a pole vault app that will do the conversions for you, please check your numbers against my app and make sure there are no hickups in the conversion. download for droid now, iphone coming this week or next :)

JohnS
PV Newbie

Re:

Unread postby JohnS » Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:00 am

dafox wrote:Here's a function to convert meters into feet and inches.
Paste this into Excel cell B1:

Code: Select all

=TRUNC(CONVERT(A1,"m","ft"),0)&"' "&MROUND((ROUND(CONVERT(A1,"m","ft")-TRUNC(CONVERT(A1,"m","ft"),0),2))*12,1/4)&""""

This assumes metric mark (in meters) is in A1. Pasting that into B1 will format 4.90 as: 16' 0.75"
All inches are converted to 1/4" increments.

This offers nice formatting and is very close but has a few rounding errors vs the table in the Big Gold Book aka {big,little}{red, blue,green,gold} Book. See the discussion I added to the Metric / English Frustration thread on rounding offset.

An Excel embodiment of that rounding offset (and your clever concatenation) is:

Code: Select all

=FLOOR((A2+0.00202)/0.3048,1)&"' "&FLOOR(MOD((A2+0.00202)/0.0254,12),0.25)&""""

This assumes a proper metric score (positive number, 2 decimal digits) in A2 and the code is pasted into B2.

To agree with BGB, a metric to english algorithm needs two features:
*It must use exact conversions of 0.3048 m/ft and 0.0254 m/in so each increment of 1.27 m adds exactly 50" to the english
*It must use a rounding offset that correctly converts the two most critical values in the range 0-1.26 m. For vertical jumps, those are 0.76 m to 2' 6" and 1.16 m to 3' 9.5"

NOTE: For horizontal jumps, change rounding offset (two places) from 0.00202 to 0.00497. For horizontal jumps the 2nd test becomes 0.23 m must convert to 0' 9" and 0.63 m must convert to 2' 0.75".

Return to “Pole Vault - General”