Paralympic Pole Vault

A forum to discuss anything that has to do with pole vaulting that does not fit in the other forums.

Moderators: Russ, lonpvh

VaultPurple
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, College Coach, Pole Vault Addict
Favorite Vaulter: Greg Duplantis

Paralympic Pole Vault

Unread postby VaultPurple » Wed Jul 02, 2008 11:38 pm

Did not really know where this post would go but im really curious.

Why is pole vaulting not in the paralympics, and has a runner using prostetics ever attempted pole vaulting. And by attempting i mean really trainging.... Ive seen the guy on youtube jumping with one leg which i have a lot of respect for, but you have guys with prostetic legs running sub 11 100s, why cant they pole vault too?

decanuck
PV Whiz

Unread postby decanuck » Thu Jul 03, 2008 2:41 pm

Below-the-knee amputees could pull it off for sure, especially if they're only missing their non-takeoff leg. They could still hit all of the elements of a good vault and it would look pretty much the same as a two-legged person.

The world record holder for above-the-knee amputees lives and trains here (12.14 WR in the 100m), and having seen him run a lot and seeing the way his prosthetic works, I can say for sure that PV would be much more difficult for him than a below-knee amputee. One problem is that the "knee" of his prosthetic flexes only minimally. This would create a lot of technical issues in vaulting--your knee drive would occur with an almost-straight leg, as would the swing, inversion, extension. It would make it very hard to invert fast enough to vault efficiently. It would also be tricky to run and plant a pole running in such a way (the rhythm is very dominant-leg biased and sounds more like a galloping horse than a sprinter).

I've always wanted to see a one-armed pole vaulter.

achtungpv
PV Rock Star

Unread postby achtungpv » Thu Jul 03, 2008 3:13 pm

i have a pic at home of a masters guy jumping with a prosthetic.

If you pick up a copy of the Illustrated History of the Pole Vault, you'll find a pic and article about a kid in Africa that pole vaulted with just one leg (no prosthetic) - he hopped down the runway.
"You have some interesting coaching theories that seem to have little potential."

VaultPurple
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, College Coach, Pole Vault Addict
Favorite Vaulter: Greg Duplantis

Unread postby VaultPurple » Thu Jul 03, 2008 4:10 pm

not needing a prosthetic but still compeating in paralympics later in other events was Keiron Modra, He vaulted 4.15 at age 17 befor giving up pole vaulting due to the heightend risk of injury as he was legally blind.

Not quite to the extent of the 17 foot vaulter out of the chicken soup for the soul article, but still pretty impressive.

And Urs Kolly of Switzerland jumped 3.8m with a right leg below the knee prosthetic.

... other than that i cant find anything online because everything that comes up is about how oscar pistorious using prosthetic legs is no different than a pole vaulter using a pole.

achtungpv
PV Rock Star

Re: Paralympic Pole Vault

Unread postby achtungpv » Thu Jul 24, 2008 9:57 pm

"You have some interesting coaching theories that seem to have little potential."

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Wed May 07, 2014 1:06 am

Charlotte Brown would like to see pole vault added to the Paralympics!

http://www.afb.org/info/living-with-vis ... -one/12345

CareerConnect: Have you ever played any Paralympic sports?

Charlotte: I was contacted and invited to the 2012 Paralympic trials in track and field. At the time, I was preparing for my high school's Regional Track and Field Championship and I didn't want to miss it. I was a freshman and so excited to have made it that far. I wanted to represent my high school. I am hoping the Paralympic opportunity will come again, however, I would like to see pole vault added to the list of events offered in the Paralympics in Rio, 2016!

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Wed May 07, 2014 1:09 am

Lacey Henderson does too!

http://www.denverpost.com/ci_18142199

Challenged by the consensus that athletes with a leg amputated above the knee aren't capable of getting the leg push necessary to compete in the pole vault, Henderson has taken that up too and has cleared 9 feet.

The catch is that for an event to be included in the Paralympics in London next year, six women in the same or nearly the same "T" categories have to meet the qualifying standard — and come from at least four countries.

"What we're trying to do is finagle our way to see if we can put on exhibitions in the pole vault at the Pan American Games or London," Henderson said. "I feel like if somebody just sees that you can do it, especially T42s, that's also a motivator for other people to do it."

https://www.facebook.com/laceyisyourfriend

(from her profile picture)

St. Vrain Invitational 2014. So grateful for all the opportunities and support I have received throughout the years with Above the Bar Track Club and Ottobock US C-Leg and Prosthetic Legs I will get Pole Vault into the Paralympics, just go ahead and watch me.

Return to “Pole Vault - General”