how do you count steps

A forum to discuss anything that has to do with pole vaulting that does not fit in the other forums.

Moderators: Russ, lonpvh

which do you count

lefts
70%
steps
30%

Total votes: 23

nitro
PV Master

how do you count steps

Unread postby nitro » Tue Jul 22, 2008 11:50 am

When people are running, do you count their steps or lefts? ie. 16 steps or 8 lefts
pain is only temporary victory is forever

VaultPurple
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, College Coach, Pole Vault Addict
Favorite Vaulter: Greg Duplantis

Re: how do you count steps

Unread postby VaultPurple » Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:08 pm

lefts... well unless they are left handed, then rights. it always messed me up this year trying to help a new buy on our team because he was left handed

decanuck
PV Whiz

Unread postby decanuck » Tue Jul 29, 2008 7:17 am

Steps steps steps! Its the only way that makes sense and keeps it consistent with the rest of T&F. This is one of my pet peeves. In other events where competitors sometimes have odd numbers of steps in their approaches (e.g. high jump), what are they supposed to call their approach? My HJ is 9 steps with a walking start. Should I call that a 5 left with 4 right? 4.5 lefts? You'll never hear a hurdler say "oh man I hit that eighth hurdle so hard I had to 2-left the last ones."

Approaches should be steps = strides = number of times one of your feet hits the ground. I feel very strongly about this.

Hey while we're at it, can we all just use the metric system please? :D It's so much easier!

Thats.What.She.Said
PV Follower
Lifetime Best: 11'
Favorite Vaulter: Darren Niedermeyer :D

Unread postby Thats.What.She.Said » Tue Jul 29, 2008 11:42 am

rights, because i'm a lefty and when i'm runing fast i dont have enough time to count every step, but i need to count to get the timing, so instead of struggling to get every number in, counting rights is so much easier.
Lefties are cooler
I ♥ Darren Niedermeyer...NOT love
Put the pole in the hole and EXPLODE

powerplant42
PV Rock Star

Unread postby powerplant42 » Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:31 pm

I hate the fact that I've come to count steps down the runway... it's very distracting, but things don't feel right unless I count. Lefts are the only way I can count while running... I guess it's just an American thing, counting lefts/rights, I mean... I don't think any other country does it nearly as much as we do.
"I run and jump, and then it's arrrrrgh!" -Bubka

nitro
PV Master

Unread postby nitro » Tue Jul 29, 2008 2:52 pm

Thats.What.She.Said wrote:rights, because i'm a lefty and when i'm runing fast i dont have enough time to count every step, but i need to count to get the timing, so instead of struggling to get every number in, counting rights is so much easier.

i dont think many peole count every one... since im a right handed vaulter i count 2,4,6,8, and so on
pain is only temporary victory is forever

Thats.What.She.Said
PV Follower
Lifetime Best: 11'
Favorite Vaulter: Darren Niedermeyer :D

Unread postby Thats.What.She.Said » Wed Jul 30, 2008 10:58 pm

nitro wrote:
Thats.What.She.Said wrote:rights, because i'm a lefty and when i'm runing fast i dont have enough time to count every step, but i need to count to get the timing, so instead of struggling to get every number in, counting rights is so much easier.

i dont think many peole count every one... since im a right handed vaulter i count 2,4,6,8, and so on

well thats stupid, you might as well just be counting it as 1,2,3,4 and so one. i mean i guess its cause i think of it like music, when your tapping your foot, do you count up and down, no just down. idk.
Lefties are cooler
I ♥ Darren Niedermeyer...NOT love
Put the pole in the hole and EXPLODE

VaultPurple
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, College Coach, Pole Vault Addict
Favorite Vaulter: Greg Duplantis

Unread postby VaultPurple » Wed Jul 30, 2008 11:42 pm

Thats.What.She.Said wrote:
nitro wrote:

well thats stupid, you might as well just be counting it as 1,2,3,4 and so one. i mean i guess its cause i think of it like music, when your tapping your foot, do you count up and down, no just down. idk.

there is nothing stupid about counting lefts, unless it is while ur running (no offince to anyone that does it, too distracting in my mind). When you are coaching it makes it easier to count, expecially when someone is turning over really fast and you cant count that fast.

And i accualy jumped with a guy that ran from 6.5 strides because he wanted to start off with his left foot, but his coach just called it 7 lefts because his left foot hit the ground 7 times. That was wierd to me because i thought he should just be able to move up a little or back a little and start with the other foot.

But its still a matter of prefrence.

PoleVaultinPsychic
PV Newbie

Unread postby PoleVaultinPsychic » Tue Nov 18, 2008 12:39 am

haha...hmm. well, maybe our coach is nuts but he says not to count steps at all. His reasoning makes sense though, because which ever you do if you count as you run and you're off you stutter step or you concentrate so much on the steps you don't think about anything else. Plus his thing is that we need to be able to go from anywhere on the track without having to count steps so for a warm up we have to jump from a bunch of random distances that he tells us and we can't count steps we just have to go.
"It's not cocky-It's confidence..." Coach Maher

powerplant42
PV Rock Star

Unread postby powerplant42 » Tue Nov 18, 2008 6:35 pm

You should know where your warm ups steps are... every one of them... 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6... you should know every single one so that you don't have to 'guess' as you run.

hallvaulter
PV Pro
Expertise: College Coach
Favorite Vaulter: Randy Hall

Unread postby hallvaulter » Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:16 pm

i dont even count my steps
Coach Bob Phillips

powerplant42
PV Rock Star

Unread postby powerplant42 » Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:18 pm

I wish I didn't... but it's a habit that I'm not going to waste time trying to break. It messes with your focus... your brain's got too much input, and it's trying to output numbers and a correct vault. It stinks, but I'm stuck with it... :( you're so lucky!

Return to “Pole Vault - General”