Should I Stay Or Should I Go?

A forum to discuss anything that has to do with pole vaulting that does not fit in the other forums.

Moderators: Russ, lonpvh

saylorm3
PV Newbie
Expertise: Current College Vaulter
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Tim Mack

Should I Stay Or Should I Go?

Unread postby saylorm3 » Mon Feb 01, 2010 7:22 pm

Ok, so I'm currently a college freshman vaulting at a small private D1 College. I'm on a small athletic scholarship for vaulting too... I know it sounds great. However, my coach is not really that good of a coach. He hasn't really helped me since I've started vaulting here.

But, after a four very frustrating weekends, which included two no heights, I traveled to my hometown to cool off. I'm friends with a really great coach who i've known for a few years who coaches the vault at a small D3 school not too far from my house. So, I went to one of his winter clinics and he let me jump, instantly he knew what I had been doing wrong and how to fix it.

Now, I know you're probably wondering... whats the point of this story.

I dont know whether to transfer to the D3 school to be with a better coach, and lose my scholarship. But in the end i know that the coach at the D3 school will make me a better vaulter. I dont know what to do :confused:

I'm open to any advice or opinions on the matter
Citius, Altius, Fortius.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Re: Should I Stay Or Should I Go?

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:23 pm

Well think about the reasons you are in college... can you meet those goals at this smaller college? Will it be a significantly larger financial burder for you and your family to go to this school (like will you have to take out a lot of loans)?

There are plenty of good vaulters in DIII, and many DIII schools attend bigger meets.

For me, transferring from a DI where I was struggling athletically to an NAIA school where I thrived athletically was one of the best decisions I ever made.

bel142
PV Pro
Expertise: Open Post Collegiate, Collegiate Coach, BS - Kinesiology, MEd - Advanced Level Coaching

Unread postby bel142 » Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:56 am

I agree with the above, also find a school you are going to get an education at...

BUT... what you are talking about is not that uncommon. That switch between High school and College and being unhappy is very common. Its not just that the coach is different it is everything! The coach may have a different style than you are used to, the coarse load is different, you are living on your own, you are probably training differently and training more. The combination of that stress can absolutely change your vault. Guys have a notion that they are going to show up to college and just jump high, and when it doesn't happen they are un happy. Having allot of success at the high school level then having it not translate over with them can be a huge blow to the ego.

My first year at school I didn't PR, I didn't PR until my 2nd year. I was in a very similar situation as you, I looked into transferring and got into a school, it wasn't as good and the situation wasn't ideal... I stayed where i was.

Meanwhile if the team/coach really isn't a good fit for you then transferring may be a good option. I just want to stress sometimes going backwards to go forwards is what happens your first year at school. This new coach may see some bad habits you need to change to vault higher... So you are now out of your element, until you can get everything together. What you wrote about is fairly common and if you can learn to jive with your coach you may hit huge new bars.

saylorm3
PV Newbie

Unread postby saylorm3 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:58 pm

I have heard this from other vaulters and coaches too, about the trials and tribulations of freshman year. However, my coach isn't really helping me at all. But, other coaches that speak with me at meets have been able to shead light on things that my coach doesn't see. I don't know if my coach isn't as knowledgable as these other coaches or what the problem is. But, what i do know, is sadly i do not love vaulting here. I used to be excited to vault and just being happy doing what i love to do. But it has reached the point where i dread vaulting because i am so unhappy with my coach and my current situation. :(

I do not want to dread it anymore. vaulting is one thing that i love to do, but i feel like my coach has ruined it for me...

And i know all vaulters go through rough points in their careers and must overcome technical changes and perfect their technique, but i feel that this is more than just that.

i don't know, it may seem like i'm just venting here, but i just don't know what to do.
Citius, Altius, Fortius.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:06 pm

If you're going to transfer, there are probably application deadlines coming up, so you should start looking into that...

dougb
PV Whiz
Expertise: elite vaulter - Coach
Lifetime Best: 4.4 m
Favorite Vaulter: Feofanova

Unread postby dougb » Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:35 pm

You have answered your own question. Pole vaulting should always be enjoyable.

GO!

Doug Balcomb
PV Coach, Colfax HS
The older I get, The better I was.

powerplant42
PV Rock Star

Unread postby powerplant42 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:03 pm

Have you let your coach know how you feel? Have you sat down and actually talked with him about your goals and why you think that you might need a different attitude from him to help you get there? Have you mentioned that "this other coach was saying this... what do you think?"

:idea: :yes:
"I run and jump, and then it's arrrrrgh!" -Bubka

saylorm3
PV Newbie

Unread postby saylorm3 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:54 pm

I have sat down with him a few weeks ago and i addressed him about my goals for the season and how i thought i could reach them, with different training methods, pole choice, etc. And for a week or so he went along with it, and i was improving, jumping on bigger poles than i ever had and things were looking better. But, then he'll decide he doesnt want to continue that way anymore, and change everything. Which totally blows my mind and hinders me more than help me.

This cycle has happened twice now, with me confroting him, things getting better, then him changing his mind.

I decided i am going to transfer and have already begun the process. But, either way i have to attempt to survive outdoors with my current situation.
Citius, Altius, Fortius.

bel142
PV Pro
Expertise: Open Post Collegiate, Collegiate Coach, BS - Kinesiology, MEd - Advanced Level Coaching

Unread postby bel142 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:46 am

Morning,
If indeed you have decided to transfer and havn't done so already, make sure you tell your coaching staff.

Its not a big thing, and no need for back room deals, but these conversations need to take place so you can get released from your team and athletic department. Other wise you can't talk to a new coach or your coach can ban you from competition for about a year. For real, don't burn any bridges or think you are going to tell some one off when you leave. You need to be released to start looking for another team.

Some coaches, want to help the athlete get an education and will release you with out any questions, some may be bitter... I have a coach who is a great guy, and offered to release me as soon as I brought this up.... You may not be as fortunate, so just in case, get on that ASAP.
-bel

kev44000
PV Pro
Favorite Vaulter: Jack Whitt & Mark Hollis

Unread postby kev44000 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:26 am

saylorm3 wrote:I have sat down with him a few weeks ago and i addressed him about my goals for the season and how i thought i could reach them, with different training methods, pole choice, etc. And for a week or so he went along with it, and i was improving, jumping on bigger poles than i ever had and things were looking better. But, then he'll decide he doesnt want to continue that way anymore, and change everything. Which totally blows my mind and hinders me more than help me.

This cycle has happened twice now, with me confroting him, things getting better, then him changing his mind.

I decided i am going to transfer and have already begun the process. But, either way i have to attempt to survive outdoors with my current situation.

You made the right choice life is short and so is college and most vaulting careers. I feel all schools can give you a good education or no one would go to them. Be happy and have fun, getting a degree is the process.

Return to “Pole Vault - General”