One-Armed Vaulter Defies Odds

A forum to discuss anything that has to do with pole vaulting that does not fit in the other forums.

Moderators: Russ, lonpvh

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

One-Armed Vaulter Defies Odds

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Mon May 23, 2011 11:24 pm

http://mcrecord.com/archives/486115/pol ... g-gravity/

Posted May 20, 2011

Pole vaulter Easton Johnson defies odds by defying gravity

Little Falls freshman Easton Johnson sets himself before attempting a vault at a recent practice. Johnson has already reached six feet in the event, despite having the use of only one arm.
By PATRICK SLACK
Sports Editor
patrick.slack@mcrecord.com

To be a pole vaulter, a person has to possess numerous athletic abilities.

First is speed, which is necessary to build momentum on the run-up to the pit area.

Next is strength and balance, used to create enough bend in an otherwise rigid pole to propel the vaulter into the air.

Finally, there’s agility, necessary to contort one’s body in such a way that will allow them to clear the bar, placed anywhere from five to 20 feet in the air. It’s one of the few things in life where the sky truly is the limit.

More important than all of those traits, though, without which no sane person would attempt the event, are guts. And Little Falls freshman Easton Johnson has plenty of those.

In these ways, Johnson is just like any other pole vaulter. He enjoys the thrill of being suspended in the air and the challenge of trying to get ever higher.

However, he is doing it with the use of only one arm.

Born with his right arm only extending to his elbow, Johnson is the ultimate daredevil in an event built for them.

“I’ve always done stuff people think I can’t do,” Johnson said, “so then I can prove them wrong.”

Johnson was introduced to pole vaulting by some teammates at practice who asked him to at least give it a try. It didn’t take long before he was hooked.

“I love the rush you get when you’re up in the air,” Johnson said.

Johnson is already up to clearing six feet in the event, but he is setting his goals high, hoping to soon clear seven-feet, six-inches.

In addition to pole vault, Johnson also competes in the 110- and 300-meter hurdles. It isn’t quite the same adrenaline rush, but he’s at least up in the air, if only for a moment.

In the winter, he competes on the Flyer’s Nordic Ski Racing team, where he uses a prosthetic to aid him.

When he was getting measured for a new prosthetic recently, the doctors noted how optimistic he is compared to many others faced with similar situations.

“It’s not like I’m going to grow another hand,” Johnson said. “There’s no sense complaining about it.”

Not one to stand still when there are other challenges to take on, Johnson plans to go out for football in the fall, which will make him a three-sport athlete.

It seems foolish to doubt him, but Johnson prefers it that way. As long as there are doubters, Johnson can keep enjoying his way of proving them wrong.

Return to “Pole Vault - General”