Will Sergei Bubka's WR ever be broken?

A forum to discuss anything that has to do with pole vaulting that does not fit in the other forums.

Moderators: Russ, lonpvh

Split
PV Master
Expertise: Former HS Vaulter, lifetime enthusiast
Lifetime Best: 11'0"
Favorite Vaulter: Giovanni Lanaro

Will Sergei Bubka's WR ever be broken?

Unread postby Split » Sun Jul 31, 2011 2:47 am

I wrote a piece on it on the bleacherreport:

http://tinyurl.com/3oo9eha
Last edited by Split on Sun Jul 31, 2011 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I never met a pole I didn't like.

master
PV Lover
Expertise: Masters Vaulter, Volunteer HS Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 4.36m

Re: Will Sergei Bubka's WR ever be broken?

Unread postby master » Sun Jul 31, 2011 7:48 pm

Split wrote:I wrote a piece on it on the bleacherreport:

[url]http://tinyurl.com/3oo9eha/url]

Split,
Looks like your url is missing a "[" before the "/url]". You can edit your post if you want to make the url functional.
- master . . . http://www.plvlt.com

Split
PV Master
Expertise: Former HS Vaulter, lifetime enthusiast
Lifetime Best: 11'0"
Favorite Vaulter: Giovanni Lanaro

Unread postby Split » Sun Jul 31, 2011 7:58 pm

master wrote:
Split wrote:I wrote a piece on it on the bleacherreport:

[url]http://tinyurl.com/3oo9eha/url]

Split,
Looks like your url is missing a "[" before the "/url]". You can edit your post if you want to make the url functional.

Ah thank you :yes:
I never met a pole I didn't like.

VaultPurple
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, College Coach, Pole Vault Addict
Favorite Vaulter: Greg Duplantis

Unread postby VaultPurple » Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:03 am

When Sergei Bubka jumped 6.14 meters (20 feet, 1.75 inches) on July 13, 1994, he set the most impossible world record known to man.

Yes, more impossible to break than any sprinting, distance running, jumping or throwing events.

Why? Because there will never be another athlete like Sergei Bubka.

He was reportedly able to run 9.9 meters a second...with a pole in his hand.
Rumors have Bubka at over 10.0 but some athletes like Scott Huffman were consistently faster

In theory, Bubka could run the 100 meter dash with a pole in hand in just over 10 seconds.
(I think he was timed at 10.8ish once when he tried... 9.9 is top speed not average)

He also used poles far beyond his weight and gripped higher than any of his competitors.

But perhaps the greatest reason why Bubka's world record mark will never be surpassed is because of another man: Vitali Petrov. :yes:

Vitali Petrov was Sergei Bubka's coach throughout his career, and the two developed a technique that has yet to meet any equal today.

Unlike most pole vaulters (particularly American ones) Petrov and Bubka focused on adding energy to the pole by swinging their leg as they reached the vertical stage of the vault—whereas other models focus instead on harnessing the energy loaded into the pole at takeoff by tucking and shooting.

The difference between the two models is a matter of intention: Petrov emphasized on pushing the pole upwards to continue adding energy to the pole as the vaulter approached the bar, while other coaches stressed on bending the pole to take advantage of its recoil.

Today we have witnessed a rise in hybrid techniques, like the drop-knee swing up technique of Australian pole vaulter and 2008 Olympic gold medalist Steven Hooker.

As good as Hooker is, however, he is no Bubka.

Until another vaulter comes along with greater talent, dedication and technique than Sergei Bubka, the record will continue to remain immortal. :yes:

Unfortunately, there's only one Bubka.

I do think the record will be broke but it will be by someone who is either faster than Bubka or abnormally tall and able to grip way higher. And it will still be broken by .01m and with a wobbling bar, but never the less it will be broken!

Bubka got his technique about as good as he needed it to be and then he just started attacking his vault more aggressively than anyone else ever has. His approach to the vault has only ever been matched by athletes that were slightly inferior athletically or genetically (Huffman, Duplantis. Both extremely fast and aggressive but lacked in height).

achtungpv
PV Rock Star

Unread postby achtungpv » Wed Aug 03, 2011 4:27 pm

Love the completely made up stats like the 9.9 100m. Does a lot for your journalistic integrity.
"You have some interesting coaching theories that seem to have little potential."

joebro391
PV Follower
Expertise: Current College Vaulter (Samford University)
Lifetime Best: 15'6
Favorite Vaulter: Duplantis, Borges, Bubka

Unread postby joebro391 » Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:09 pm

achtungpv wrote:Love the completely made up stats like the 9.9 100m. Does a lot for your journalistic integrity.

I think he meant 9.9m/s with a pole, which I'm pretty sure he often hit take-off at; not a 9.9s 100m. Also, I believe I heard Alan once say that Bubka's best 100m was 10.3 and 10.9 with a pole. Not sure if that was electronically-timed or hand-timed. -6P
PR: 15'6 !!PETROV/6.40 MODEL!! http://www.youtube.com/user/joebro391

achtungpv
PV Rock Star

Unread postby achtungpv » Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:51 am

The now retired Texas State head coach was a Soviet sprint coach back then. She had access to a lot of Bubka's workouts and performance tests from back from the 80s. She said his best 100m training run, which was assuredly hand timed, was 10.4 "with a hurricane at his back" (her words). There could have been better marks since I'm sure she never saw 100% of his records but that was the best she ever saw.
"You have some interesting coaching theories that seem to have little potential."

Viola Vaulter
PV Beginner
Expertise: Current High school Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 14'
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Renaud Lavillenie

Unread postby Viola Vaulter » Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:11 pm

I think that the time is coming soon. Dare I even say the London Olympics? Hooker is getting there and so is Renaud Lavilline. Has anyone seen the video of his 6.16 attempt? Although it may be a sad to see the record of a legend fall, I am looking forward to seeing it happen.

Return to “Pole Vault - General”