Rules on prizes or money when jumping

A forum to discuss anything that has to do with pole vaulting that does not fit in the other forums.

Moderators: Russ, lonpvh

bdc629
PV Beginner
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Master Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 5.18
Favorite Vaulter: Dave Clark

Rules on prizes or money when jumping

Unread postby bdc629 » Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:31 pm

I am guessing that vaulters cant be awarded prize money for jumping in these street vaults etc... Is there any other way to give out prizes and it be legal?

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Re: Rules on prizes or money when jumping

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Thu Aug 04, 2011 4:14 pm

Of course they can get prize money, assuming they do not have any NCAA eligibility remaining. Are you talking about prizes for HS and college kids?

bdc629
PV Beginner
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Master Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 5.18
Favorite Vaulter: Dave Clark

Unread postby bdc629 » Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:45 am

Yes...I know we got paid in Europe and we still had elig. left but wasnt sure if that was different.... I just wondering if you structured a street type vault ifferent than a normal competition...would count against them. I had a sponsor ask me about putting on an event and he wanted to actually offer prize money for the winners... My first thought was we couldnt for college kids...but what if it wasnt structured like a track meet.... where the rules were different and it was not classified as a TRACK MEET... Would it make a difference if the winnings were giving in prizes and not money?

VaultMarq26
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, College Coach,

Unread postby VaultMarq26 » Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:27 pm

A lot of college track meets do give shirts as prizes. You may have to ask a college coach.
Man Up and Jump

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:23 pm

bdc629 wrote:Yes...I know we got paid in Europe and we still had elig. left but wasnt sure if that was different.... I just wondering if you structured a street type vault ifferent than a normal competition...would count against them. I had a sponsor ask me about putting on an event and he wanted to actually offer prize money for the winners... My first thought was we couldnt for college kids...but what if it wasnt structured like a track meet.... where the rules were different and it was not classified as a TRACK MEET... Would it make a difference if the winnings were giving in prizes and not money?

You can't legally get paid in Europe, unless it's just covering actual expenses. A lot of NCAA violations happen there and never get caught, that doesn't mean they are legal.

The rules are not different, a street vault still counts just like a road race still counts.

Athletes with college eligibility can accept non-cash prizes up to certain amount, I'm not sure on the details but you can look them up.

My advice: Have prize money. If the winner can't accept it, give it to the next athlete who can. We have so many starving elite athletes, don't turn that cash into a trophy or something cheesy to try and get around rules, just give cash to those who can legally take it, and let the college kids just do it for fun.

Return to “Pole Vault - General”