Vaulters Block

A forum to discuss anything that has to do with pole vaulting that does not fit in the other forums.

Moderators: Russ, lonpvh

Viola Vaulter
PV Beginner
Expertise: Current High school Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 14'
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Renaud Lavillenie

Vaulters Block

Unread postby Viola Vaulter » Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:41 pm

HELP! I am a 14 foot vaulter going on my 5th year vaulting. I am very comfortable with pole vault but I've gotten myself some vaulters block. When I am vaulting, my warm ups and 4 step drills are fine. No problem. But once I start doing my full approach (7 step, sometimes I do a 5 step to work on my top end technique) I just cannot get off the ground. I run through. I know my steps are on, and even if they were a little off, i know i can push through it. What do you guys do for vaulters block? Help me out! I have some meets coming up and i don't want to be dealing with this when they come around.

scpolevaulter
PV Nerd
Expertise: College Vaulter and High School Coach
Lifetime Best: 14
Favorite Vaulter: Mitch Greeley and Tim Mack

Re: Vaulters Block

Unread postby scpolevaulter » Mon Dec 26, 2011 12:25 pm

Well I have gone through the same thing and I had to do a combo of counting my steps and moving to a 6 step aproach, then when I was comfortable again I moved back to my 7 step aproach. I hope that helps. Good luck this year.

Rhino
PV Pro

Unread postby Rhino » Mon Dec 26, 2011 6:46 pm

I have run into a block when my takeoff was right on the mark. It sometimes turned out that I was overstriding to steer myself to the takeoff spot. I moved in a foot and a half, and everthing started clicking.

Viola Vaulter
PV Beginner
Expertise: Current High school Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 14'
Favorite Vaulter: Renaud Lavillenie

Unread postby Viola Vaulter » Mon Jan 02, 2012 5:35 pm

Thanks for the responses and tips guys, they really helped. I went to a shorter run, got my confidence back up with some good jumps (very important if you are suffering with vaulters block too). I am now back and better than before! Post a reply if you need help with vaulters block too!

Return to “Pole Vault - General”