Overweight vaulters and colleges?

A forum to discuss anything that has to do with pole vaulting that does not fit in the other forums.

Moderators: Russ, lonpvh

VaulterChick122
PV Beginner
Expertise: Current High School Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 10'
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie

Overweight vaulters and colleges?

Unread postby VaulterChick122 » Sat Apr 21, 2012 10:19 pm

I have seen many high school vaulters, especially girls who are a little overweight. I do not mean fat, i mean strong, fast, but still chubby and could lose 15 or 20 pounds (depending on the person). Many of them can clear heights like 9 or 10 feet, which is a fairly decent height. Myself included in his group (although i am in the process of losing weight), i was wondering if colleges look at this. Say i were to clear 12 ft or even higher by my senior year ( i am a sophomore and am close to clearing 10), but i do not have a "vaulters body" not very skinny, but not fat either, do colleges look at that. I would love to vault in college, but i do not look like a vaulter. Even if i am thin enough i am not very tall, and i know that colleges look at "the potential" of a vaulter. Would someone who has a perfect vaulters body who can clear 11'6" be chosen over someone how i desrcibed before that can clear 12' or 12'6"? I mean i know being in better shape will improve my vault, and i am working on it but i am just curious about how collegiate athletic programs choose athletes.

botakatobi
PV Whiz
Expertise: Former vaulter. College, HS and elite coach. Master level USATF official
Lifetime Best: 15'1"
Favorite Vaulter: Seagren, Davies, Meadows, Rand

Re: Overweight vaulters and colleges?

Unread postby botakatobi » Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:55 am

The physique of world class vaulters is historically (not always) tall and thin.

More muscular vaulters with strength and power do appear, despite not having the tall/thin physique.

As a D1 coach years ago, I passed on a female vaulter who could jump high 12's in high school. I thought she as at least 15 pounds heavy and may not lose the weight. She went on to be an excellent combined events and pole vault D1 athlete who could also score both conference and NCAA Championship points.

In summary, if you can leaner, all the better (in my opinion) for vaulting. However, if you are fast and powerful you could be a great college prospect in the vault and other events.

dj
PV Enthusiast
Expertise: Coach

Unread postby dj » Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:11 pm

hello

2.0 lbs per inch of height has been the "average" of successful vaulters...

for example 5-8 = 68 inches x 2 = 138

dj

botakatobi
PV Whiz
Expertise: Former vaulter. College, HS and elite coach. Master level USATF official
Lifetime Best: 15'1"
Favorite Vaulter: Seagren, Davies, Meadows, Rand

Unread postby botakatobi » Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:37 pm

dj wrote:hello

2.0 lbs per inch of height has been the "average" of successful vaulters...

for example 5-8 = 68 inches x 2 = 138

dj

DJ,

While talking to Mike once, he claimed that he was somewhat over 210 when he still jumped 19'. This seemed a bit much for a 6'2" +- vaulter. What do you remember his best jumping weight?

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:34 am

To answer the original question, yes, it is something college coaches will consider. There's a difference between being muscular and fat. Some coaches might take a look at the parents to get an idea of what direction the girl is headed. Plenty of vaulters have large parents, it's not going to make or break a decision for a coach.

Some girls get too fat due to poor lifestyle decisions in college and never improve. A coach has to make their best guess as to whether or not this will happen. If they think an athlete is going to be a big partier, that is a factor that will be considered.

Starving yourself to lose weight is only self-destructive in the end. The best thing you can do is maintain a healthy lifestyle and let your body sort itself out.

VaulterChick122
PV Beginner

Unread postby VaulterChick122 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:56 pm

Thanks, trust me starving myself never ever crossed my mind! I do have a healthy lifestyle though, but i still have a year to work on it all, and reach my goals before i am legally allowed to talk to coaches anyway.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:20 pm

VaulterChick122 wrote:Thanks, trust me starving myself never ever crossed my mind! I do have a healthy lifestyle though, but i still have a year to work on it all, and reach my goals before i am legally allowed to talk to coaches anyway.

I would try to put up some decent marks in other events like the 100, LJ, or hurdles. If coaches see that you are athletic, it goes a long way, regardless of body shape and size.

VaulterChick122
PV Beginner

Unread postby VaulterChick122 » Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:44 pm

I want to try other events, but my team is so big, the field event people usually can only do one event. However, my relay partner and i are trying to convince our coach to let us try long jump, and high jump.

dj
PV Enthusiast
Expertise: Coach

Unread postby dj » Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:42 pm

hye

Mike was 6-4 191 at the trials and 6-4/196 at the Games...

he may have jumped 19 at 210.. but 200 and under would have been best for strenght to body mass.......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uA7Dapjsh9A

i suspect he was at 200, or slightly lower here............

dj

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Wed Apr 25, 2012 3:45 am

VaulterChick122 wrote:I want to try other events, but my team is so big, the field event people usually can only do one event. However, my relay partner and i are trying to convince our coach to let us try long jump, and high jump.

Is there a limit to how many people your team can put in each event during your weekday meets? If so, you need to hop in a JV meet or something where you can do more events. There are always summer all-comers meets and junior olympics as well.

Return to “Pole Vault - General”