Getting Out of a Slump

A forum to discuss anything that has to do with pole vaulting that does not fit in the other forums.

Moderators: Russ, lonpvh

msuggsrhs
PV Newbie
Expertise: Current High School Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 8'4"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Yelena Isinbeyeva

Getting Out of a Slump

Unread postby msuggsrhs » Wed May 09, 2012 10:10 pm

I started pole vaulting back in March and love it s much, (and found some regional success as well). And although I have been doing well at the meets, after I won County Champs, I competed at a meet where the runway was elevated, the box was wierd, and they started out just a little under my PR. I got really scared and flipped out after slipping on the wet runway and crashing into the bar.

The other day was the sub-sectional championships for our region (top 4 move on, pretty big deal) and the coach who was running it made me really nervous by pressuring me to go more quickly than I wanted to, (I specifically told him I was going to go in at 5'6" 10 seconds before and he yells to raise it up to 6') and I made a careless error, by hitting the bar with my foot as i was coming down. My 6' went off without a hitch, but then I saw that one of my teammate who ussually only vaults 4' somehow got up to 6'6" and clears it first time I got nervous because only 4 people get to go, plus I really love pole vaulting and in the 15 minutes I get to practice every three days I go all out (She's full-time, I have to work on my mid-distance)

I got really scared then and made to more careless errors, before clearing it. I have cleared 6'6" many times and my PR is 7'4" at County (No scratches). By that time I was yes... crying, cause its just so out of charector for me to be making so many mistakes and so I couldn't even clear 7'. I knew something was off because the day before I had set the bungee up for 7' and was clearing it perfectly.

Now everytime I get up there I've been getting really scared to vault...and I know its because I'm pskying myself out. I love pole vaulting and its my biggest dream to make it to state. Any help I could get on ideas to help calm me down before I go and not stress myself out would be much appreciated. Thanks...
"This ain't no walk in the park, you gotta move!"
Swedish Stabhochsprung:Leider Giele

ClintonMagus
PV Whiz
Expertise: Parent of a Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 11-6
Favorite Vaulter: Sam Kendricks

Re: Getting Out of a Slump

Unread postby ClintonMagus » Sat May 12, 2012 5:55 pm

My daughter went through a long slump this year due to injuries. Once the season started, she always cleared a height and got points for the team, but she was very tentative about jumping. She was afraid of her run (she's got the most natural and consistent run I have seen in our state, but she wasn't confident.)

At state regionals, I finally sat down with her and convinced her that, from my point of view as an "outsider", her run was always perfect, and that she shouldn't waste a jump. She believed me and had her best meet of the year, despite her injuries.

First believe in yourself and remember your successes, and see yourself as being successful again.

Sounds simplistic, but it can work.

VaulterChick122
PV Beginner
Lifetime Best: 10'

Unread postby VaulterChick122 » Sun May 13, 2012 6:48 pm

This does not answer your question but where do you vault? Like what state? I have never been to a meet with heights like 4ft or 5'6", i find it pretty interesting. Where i am from they start at 6, then the state and county meets start at heights like 6'6" or even 7'6". I like that some places have lower heights than that.

But in regard to your question, take a few days off. Relax and forget about it. I just no heighted the other day at a meet coming in at a super easy height for me, but i have to get over it (which is difficult i know) but just relax because you know you can vault. Don't let others get you nervous. Pole vaulting is an individual sport and you are the only person that can mess yourself up, dont pay attention to anyone else, do what you know you can do. Believe in yourself, have confidence, and ignore your competition, other coaches, and officials.

and for just starting in march, 7'4" is a great PR! You'll definitely be over 9' next year. At least. I know a few people who didn't even clear 6'6" their freshman year and are clearing 10' there sophomore year. :) My freshman year i cleared 7'6", but i started in the beginning of winter!
Last edited by VaulterChick122 on Thu May 17, 2012 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

msuggsrhs
PV Newbie
Lifetime Best: 8'4"
Favorite Vaulter: Yelena Isinbeyeva

Unread postby msuggsrhs » Mon May 14, 2012 12:22 pm

The meets I talked about were just little local meets in middle TN, our school hosts a lot of meets, and there are only about maybe 10 girl vaulters in the county. I typically start out at 6' so.

Thanks so much!
"This ain't no walk in the park, you gotta move!"
Swedish Stabhochsprung:Leider Giele

Return to “Pole Vault - General”