Getting into a college

A forum to discuss anything that has to do with pole vaulting that does not fit in the other forums.

Moderators: Russ, lonpvh

Jungm1420
PV Nerd
Expertise: Sophomore High School Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 14'
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie

Getting into a college

Unread postby Jungm1420 » Mon May 21, 2012 11:14 am

Hi. I was a sophomore this year and jumped 13'6 at our state meet to get 3rd. I plan on going to some meets this summer and some indoor ones at the begginning of next year. I was hoping to get 15'+ by senior year because that is missouri's class 1 state record. I would really like to break that and i think i could. If i could jump 15+ senior year could i get into a division 1 college? Or get scholorships to division 2 colleges?

VaultMarq26
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, College Coach,

Re: Getting into a college

Unread postby VaultMarq26 » Mon May 21, 2012 6:35 pm

Yes 15' will allow you to be a walk on for some D1 colleges. Some colleges may even throw a few thousand dollars at you if you have potential.
Man Up and Jump

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Mon May 21, 2012 9:33 pm

It just depends on the school. You need to contact the coaches at the schools you are interested and find out what their standards are for walking on and scholarships. It varies widely by school and conference. At some of the top schools you can't even wak on with 15', so don't make any assumptions.

Rhino
PV Pro

Unread postby Rhino » Mon May 21, 2012 10:51 pm

Wow!! Missouri Class 1A has come along since my day for there to be three over 13'6". I think the state record was 13' 3 3/4" when I graduated.

Jungm1420
PV Nerd
Expertise: Sophomore High School Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 14'

Unread postby Jungm1420 » Tue May 22, 2012 4:12 pm

Yea there was a lot of competition this year. Everyone in the top 8 beside me in 3rd and another sophomore in 8th with 11'6 were all seniors. The state record is now 15' set in 09. I want to beat that senior yr. i still have two years and plan on vaulting some this summer. I am very short though. 5'5. Hoping to be 5'8 but thats at most probably. Hoping to get 14' this summer and 14'6 next season. Then 15'+ senior yr. And either get scholarships to D2 schools or walk on or a little money from a D1 school. It also depends on what i decide to major in and where i would like to attend college also.

Return to “Pole Vault - General”