Hello, new here. My story and my senior year

A forum to discuss anything that has to do with pole vaulting that does not fit in the other forums.

Moderators: Russ, lonpvh

ParisPijuan
PV Newbie
Expertise: 3rd yr
Lifetime Best: 13'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie

Hello, new here. My story and my senior year

Unread postby ParisPijuan » Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:50 pm

Hello,

I have drifted in and out of this website but this is the first time ive posted anything.

Im a High school senior looking to be as great as I can be. I have never been anything special and still have yet to prove myself, but feel that moment approaching faster each day. Recently vaulting has been everything for me, dictating every bit of my mind and thought. I never had a solid coach. I didnt really compete my Freshman year and jumped 10'1 my sophomore year. That summer is when i really decided to turn things up a notch. I live in So Cal so i decided to sign up for the UCLA 4day camp. Thats where i really decided to give it my all. I started weight lifting non stop and havent stopped since and that was a year and a half ago. I wasnt able to find a place where i could vault at all so i stuck to the gym doing anything i could. It turned out that that meant lifting more and doing what little drills i could do on a pull up bar. I didnt vault for 8 months untill 2 weeks before my first practice. I was soo rusty but i went up at least 8 poles because of how much stronger and faster i had gotten. I opened up my season at 12' 6 meets later found myself at 13'1 from my 7L on a 14' 155. That was 3ft better than last year and i had only vaulted at the UCLA camp since the season before. The practice after my 13'1" clearance i cleared 13'6" with ease as we expected. Unfortunatly the practice after i had an accident: without getting into too much detail i missed the pit because of the awful way i vault(ed). Torn the ligements in my ankle and was out for 4 months and the rest of season. It was increadably depressing as i believed i could have hit 14' that year. Who knows.
Fast forward 4 months i am barely off physical therapy and in the same UCLA camp i was at the year before. It was my first time vaulting since the injury and god it was awful. By the final day i was back in the swing of things but being the lowest in the top group i got to see for myself just how much work i needed to put in. My vault back then was horendus. I have massive strides but not in a good way. My 7L was from 102 i always planted late, never had my arm out in front of me and always took off under by a foot. The only reason i got a foot over my grip was because i would row and swing upside like crazy. After the camp i decided I NEEDED to find somewhere to vault in between to season. I was lucky enough to be invited to practice at an aquaintences school. I did that coupled with a few all comers but when school rolled around it ended. Luckly i found out about Lucky Strike club at LA valley college coached by Brooks Morris. I began practicing with him (and am currently). He took me down the basics and had me start from square one. He was basically my first coach. I had never did anything shorter than a 5L before. We spent a month at 4L and now we are at 5Ls. He has helped me so much its ridiculous. I am a very inconsistent vaulter mainly because im a head case and lose focus ect. Now i have cleared 13' from my 4L gripping at 13' on a 14' 160. Im currently at 5L with a 14' 170 but have having some difficulty these past few weeks. I skyed 13'2" by at least 6" but havent been doing anything else effective lately. I aim for 15'+ this upcoming year and to go onto a college team the following year. I am signed up for the summit and will be jumping from my 6L there. I have a lot ahead of me and I really cant think about anything else. I train 6 days a week and I want to be the best I can be. There is a Junior at my school who jumped 15'9 as a sophomore. He has been doing it forever and his dad was an italian 5.45m guy. If anything this only pushes me to be better.

Anyways thanks for reading and taking your time, I just wanted to share a little bit on my experience with this sport so far. Im happy to be in a new community.

-Paris

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Re: Hello, new here. My story and my senior year

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:55 am

Brooks is a great coach, just keep doing whatever he says!

Return to “Pole Vault - General”