Pole vault to long jump transition

A forum to discuss anything that has to do with pole vaulting that does not fit in the other forums.

Moderators: Russ, lonpvh

andy94566
PV Whiz
Expertise: current high school vaulter
Lifetime Best: 13'8"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Walker, Johnson, Miles

Pole vault to long jump transition

Unread postby andy94566 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:59 pm

How is the transition from pole vault to long jump? I have only vaulted throughout all 3 years of competing in track and field, and I feel like I want to and am determined enough to train for another event and long jump interests me the most.
I am 19 years old, 5’7”, and 166 pounds. My PR for the vault is 13’8.5” and I ran my first ever timed sprint of 55 meters in 7.08 (without any training, my coach just threw me in there). I know I can run faster since I train with our 6.85 55 meter sprinter and I am always up there with him during reps. I believe I remember my broad long jump testing to be almost 10 feet, upper 9s. Squat max is 160 kg, bench is 125kg, power clean is 100kg, and max pull ups is 22. What do you guys think? I’m planning on going back over the spring break and training with my old high school’s jump coach for about a week on the technical basic aspects of the LJ.

VaultPurple
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, College Coach, Pole Vault Addict
Favorite Vaulter: Greg Duplantis

Re: Pole vault to long jump transition

Unread postby VaultPurple » Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:26 pm

It depends on how you were taught to pole vault. If you just run fast and put your hands over your head without jumping then there is not really much of a transition other than step consistency. Your broad jump being close to 10 is the best stat you have listed for your body weight. It means you are probably more of an impulse jumper (would jump farther with a lot of force in the ground rather than off pure speed). One of those jumps where you have to just try and see how well you can transition to jumping off one foot with some speed behind your run.

Return to “Pole Vault - General”