please help me make the right decision!

A forum to discuss anything that has to do with pole vaulting that does not fit in the other forums.

Moderators: Russ, lonpvh

Dallas.adtr
PV Beginner
Expertise: Current highschool
Lifetime Best: 15'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Lazaro Borges

please help me make the right decision!

Unread postby Dallas.adtr » Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:45 pm

Hey guys, right now I'm going into my senior year of high school and am starting to get a little stressed about my college decision. I jump about 14'6" now and am working to improve another foot by the indoor season. I know that seems like a lot but I went from 11'6" to 14'6" in about 7 months last year before breaking my collarbone twice and getting surgery. (took me out all season) In this last month or two I came back from four months of little activity and built up my strength, speed, and have been doing a lot of technique work on high bars, ropes, vaulting 2 days a week with a great coach I've found, etc.. so anyway I have a lot to prove here but if I get to my 15'6" mark by the start of the indoor season what schools should I consider? I live in indiana but I have no problem going to another state for better opportunities & my main concern is just finding a coaching staff that really cares and could help me reach my full potential. I keep an open mind to naia schools as well. (Mark Hollis went to Olivet Nazarene and jumped nearly 17' there I believe)
Thank you guys!
Dallas Miller

VaultMarq26
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, College Coach,

Re: please help me make the right decision!

Unread postby VaultMarq26 » Sun Aug 11, 2013 9:07 am

You need to look beyond college for this decision. What are you interested in doing the rest of your life. Pick a degree or school for their academics first, then start thinking about pole vault to help break ties. In all likelihood you will not be making your living pole vaulting in 10 years, so get a good education!
Man Up and Jump

vaultmd
PV Enthusiast
Expertise: Masters Vaulter, Coach, Doctor
Lifetime Best: 475
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Laura Huarte

Re: please help me make the right decision!

Unread postby vaultmd » Tue Aug 13, 2013 3:07 pm

I agree with VaultMarq26. Figure out what you want to major in and what you want to do after college. Factor in your Plan B for that part. Cross-reference that with your SAT/ACT scores, grades and budget. Then start writing to A LOT of schools. Coaches don't have a lot of time or money to scout; so you will have to get their attention yourself. Also, you would be amazed at how many schools, that look good on paper for you, which you will cross off your list for whatever reason, especially if you want to pole vault.

Return to “Pole Vault - General”