Whats Your Weird and Unqiue Ritual(s)

A forum to discuss anything that has to do with pole vaulting that does not fit in the other forums.

Moderators: Russ, lonpvh

CHC04Vault
PV Follower

Whats Your Weird and Unqiue Ritual(s)

Unread postby CHC04Vault » Thu Apr 28, 2005 10:50 pm

As an athlete i have always had weird superstitions and rituals i go through. In baseball, i would never walk on the chalk line and i would go through an endless ritual in the batters box. For vaulting, i do some strange things. For once, when i get new spikes, they sit in my room in front of my Buhda and burn inscence infront of it. Then i will take it to my locker room and have those who i deem good enough (any1 who works hard) to see my new spikes, as to not to hamper the Chee of my shoes. But for the vault itself, i will always start from the pit and walk down the runways dragging my pole like im a lil kid with his blanket. Then when im about to jump, i get on my tippy toes go back down, push my pole, get on my tippy toes again, go down and sprint.
Last edited by CHC04Vault on Sat Apr 30, 2005 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Good my jump, it will be done" Bubka

VaultMarq26
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, College Coach,

Unread postby VaultMarq26 » Fri Apr 29, 2005 1:24 am

Back in high school, i would yell out the word "deep" just before i started running down the runway. Any of my teammates that were nearby would echo back "deep". It helped pump me up.
Man Up and Jump

PVPirate26
PV Pro
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, High School Coach
Lifetime Best: 10'8"
Favorite Vaulter: Tim Mack

Unread postby PVPirate26 » Fri Apr 29, 2005 11:19 am

i am very obsessive with my hands before i vault. i wipe them on a towel, blow on them, wave them in the air, just to make sure they are completely dry and that i will have a good grip on the pole. i feel like i'm the only one who worries about this...

izzystikchik
PV Follower
Location: MARQUETTE UNIVERSITY in Milwaukee, WI. ~ My home town is in OakPark, IL

Unread postby izzystikchik » Fri Apr 29, 2005 2:48 pm

Well, seeing that i'm bout to head off to another meet in literally like 30 minutes i guess i'm getting started to do my "superstitious" stuff...

So right now i'm looking at a lot of pole vault stuff, pictures, clips, tips, advice..etc. Then i listen to my music and that sort of stuff before the meet.

Now, when time rolls around to my attempts on the run way. I make sure my hands are dry too, and i like to check my grip a few times. I kinda bend my knees and get on my toes and flex the pole like once (my coach hates it when i take to long to jump and he hates that i flex the pole) but it make me feel better knowing that the pole will bend... :confused: ...and then i take a strong deep breath and kinda tell my self the word "GO" in my head really loud....

other obsessions would be:

- My knee high sox
-making sure my spikes are tied tight and the laces aren't touching the rundway
-making sure my arm band hasn't shifted... ;)

Aviendha
PV Pro
Expertise: Current Collegiate Vaulter

Unread postby Aviendha » Fri Apr 29, 2005 3:03 pm

i always do some really quick high knees in place once i get on the runway with my pole, and a couple little i guess you'd call them tuck jumps. a couple vaulters before i go, i'll be standing off to the side, doing this weird jumping thing from foot to foot, just like shifting my weight, but with a spring in it...keeps my ankles warm (they like to roll)
~Why does everyone prefer those who lie and make themselves less than they are, rather than those who embrace who they are, rejoice in it, and refuse to pretend anything less?

USMC Vaulter
PV Pro

Unread postby USMC Vaulter » Fri Apr 29, 2005 4:22 pm

Aviendha wrote:i always do some really quick high knees in place once i get on the runway with my pole, and a couple little i guess you'd call them tuck jumps. a couple vaulters before i go, i'll be standing off to the side, doing this weird jumping thing from foot to foot, just like shifting my weight, but with a spring in it...keeps my ankles warm (they like to roll)

That sounds more like 'staying warm/warmed up' - I'd say thats about the healthiest 'ritual' you could have :yes:
Matthew Savini
DCHS Vault Coach
www.HighVaultage.com

VaultMarq26
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, College Coach,

Unread postby VaultMarq26 » Fri Apr 29, 2005 4:49 pm

izzystikchik wrote:Well, seeing that i'm bout to head off to another meet in literally like 30 minutes i guess i'm getting started to do my "superstitious" stuff...

So right now i'm looking at a lot of pole vault stuff, pictures, clips, tips, advice..etc. Then i listen to my music and that sort of stuff before the meet.

Now, when time rolls around to my attempts on the run way. I make sure my hands are dry too, and i like to check my grip a few times. I kinda bend my knees and get on my toes and flex the pole like once (my coach hates it when i take to long to jump and he hates that i flex the pole) but it make me feel better knowing that the pole will bend... :confused: ...and then i take a strong deep breath and kinda tell my self the word "GO" in my head really loud....

other obsessions would be:

- My knee high sox
-making sure my spikes are tied tight and the laces aren't touching the rundway
-making sure my arm band hasn't shifted... ;)

I had the knee high socks going in high school too!!!!!
Man Up and Jump

CrossBarHOpper
PV Pro

Unread postby CrossBarHOpper » Fri Apr 29, 2005 6:32 pm

I always were High Socks that go up to my knees and I'll Run my hurdles and when I go to the polevault i change my Socks to a Specials socks that were a tad bit darker then the rest when i bought them.
hey guys! Abe Lincoln?
Sophmore PR 14'6"

ECVaulter
PV Fan

Unread postby ECVaulter » Fri Apr 29, 2005 8:07 pm

I was gonna try the knee highs at our last meet but I forgot them. Oh well, next week.
"Where are my shoes? Thats it, im going out shoeless."

"Thai chili."

JTred
PV Whiz

Unread postby JTred » Fri Apr 29, 2005 9:00 pm

all I do is go up on my toes once, take a deep breath nd tell my brain to shut the heck up.

csuvaulter
PV Fan

Unread postby csuvaulter » Sat Apr 30, 2005 3:03 am

I always go to the back of the runway when I'm up third (in the hole) so I can stand to the side and visualize. Then when I get on the runway, I plant the pole in front of me, pick it up, and go. I don't like to make a big show about it or think about too much...seems to work for me since I never ever run through (not an option!). Like izzystikchik, I also have to have my spikes tight and not touching the ground. I also use chalk indoors but not outdoors.

One of the vaulters I coach cannot do a vault unless he breathes on his hands first. What's funny is that he totally hates doing it (and the fact that he HAS to do it), but he is a prisoner of his superstition!

MightyMouse
PV Follower

Unread postby MightyMouse » Sat Apr 30, 2005 8:16 pm

I smack my self in the face real hard to pump my self up. Not the greatest habit though, after a meet where I had 3 3rd attempt clearances and took 10 jumps total I woke up the next morning with a black eye :dazed:
19 Years Old
Coach: Val Osipenko
"Hard work never goes to waste"
Petrov/Launder student

Return to “Pole Vault - General”