Shin Splints problem!

A forum to discuss anything that has to do with pole vaulting that does not fit in the other forums.

Moderators: Russ, lonpvh

PowellVault
PV Newbie
Expertise: Current High School Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 15'9"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie

Shin Splints problem!

Unread postby PowellVault » Tue Mar 17, 2015 7:06 pm

I had shin splints about half way through last year and could manage the pain until the season was over.They went away during football. Now it's the first week of Track and my shin splints are unbearable. It's my plant leg. I already took 5 days off and still isn't better. During that rest time and until now all I do is do ice baths, ice massages with Dixie cup, ankle extensions with bands, stretching calfs and soleus muscle, foam rolling, golf ball under heel, massage with a machines. I take 2 pills of naproxen sodium in morning and at night. the only way I got through practice yesterday was by using icy hot with compression sleeve with 3 ibuprofen pills. I don't know what to do And I need this pain to go away...Any Advice is appreciated.Thanks!

nateolson63
PV Newbie
Expertise: Current High Schooler jumping 14's
Lifetime Best: 14'6"
Favorite Vaulter: Renaud

Re: Shin Splints problem!

Unread postby nateolson63 » Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:08 am

Sometimes their is no answer. Sometimes you just have to bare through the pain or take a week or two off. Personally, I just do icy hot with calf sleeves and ibuprofen (like you said) for a couple weeks until it goes away. Shin splints suck and their is no instant cure. I know it's not the answer you were looking for but its the truth :/

Gary_vaulter
PV Fan
Expertise: HS/MS Coach, 81' HS State_Champ, Parent, Master's PR - 10'8" in June 2015
Lifetime Best: 13'3"
Favorite Vaulter: Bob Seagren

Unread postby Gary_vaulter » Sun Apr 19, 2015 3:40 pm

I hate to say it, but that has been my experience as well.
I had them back in the day and did everything they are STILL saying you should do. Nothing "fixed" them. Icing them at night helped make it tolerable. laying off for a week or so made them "better" ... until the next time I jumped and then the shin splints were immediately back. I still get them to this day but find that the calf sleeves help to mask the pain. :/

I would add that, in addition to icing them down every day (after practice on days you practice) ... I have heard positive things about being VERY aggressive with calf/hamstring/ankle stretches before shin splints get BAD as a way of keeping them from getting "bad". By "aggressive", I am talking about EVERY morning first thing and then at night before you go to bed. This is on top of doing them before practice.

I wish there was a "fix" but I haven't found it.

vaultdad
PV Whiz
Expertise: An Official
Favorite Vaulter: Jillian Schwartz!

Unread postby vaultdad » Sun May 24, 2015 12:58 pm

Could be your shoes too. And they're often the last culprit to be looked at.

And I'd suggest NO needle spikes if you're wearing them.
Vaulting Incognito "I saw those tubes on your truck, and I thought you were a plumber . . ."

coachstark
PV Beginner
Expertise: College Coach/ All- American Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 5.13m
Favorite Vaulter: Bubka

Unread postby coachstark » Wed Sep 09, 2015 5:24 pm

I've done a lot research over the past 4 years of coaching as my athletes were all experiencing shin splints as well (I was lucky enough to not experience them too much during my competing years). Seems that you are well educated on rehabbing your shin splits, however, how proactive where you prior to your season starting. A lot of the rehab exercises are great prior to your season to make sure your legs are ready for specific movements. The only other suggestions I could give you for rehab are a 90 degree bent knee calf raise, and also putting a t-shirt/towel on the floor and placing a barefoot on top and curling your toes to pull the t-shirt/towel toward you.

I would also work on addressing your current workouts. When shins start to hurt, a lot of coaches point to the fact that you just might be jumping too much, however you also damage your shins a TON on short sprinting days. After a rep of sprinting, make sure you use ample time to slow down instead of over powering your quads and blocking your stride with your heels causing a toe slap and irritating your shins. Try to run on the infield every other rep or even on loose sand if available.

Last, although you are taking time off, you can still be active with gymnastics or pool workouts/ pool PV drills if you have access to a pool. I have my athletes in the pool at least 2 days a week to reduce the pounding on their legs.

Return to “Pole Vault - General”