VAULTING POLE NICKNAMES

A forum to discuss everything to do with pole vaulting equipment: poles, pits, spikes, etc.

Moderator: Barto

Vaulter85
PV Newbie

Unread postby Vaulter85 » Wed May 05, 2004 3:50 pm

In high school my teammates had a green pole they called the "Green Destiny". We also had a 17' 180 Catapole in our shed, who knows why we had that old pole. We used it for our pool workouts, we called it the "BAnana" pole because it was yellow. I haven't named any of my poles here.
"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen" Hebrews 11:1

vanya
PV Newbie

Unread postby vanya » Wed Nov 10, 2004 7:21 pm

We name all the poles but make a point of not naming them until the end of their first season. spod, bugs, girls pole, boys pole, baby, new baby, there is a meaning behind each name.

For example with one new pole out top girl improved her PB by one foot, so it got called "spod" which is supposed to be the polish word for foot (I haven't checked the truth of this).

:-)

Big Stick
PV Newbie

hey

Unread postby Big Stick » Thu Nov 11, 2004 10:58 pm

Hey everyone, my pole is a 13'6 155lbs Pacer, I call it Mario lol
Practice, Practice, Practice..

MightyMouse
PV Follower

Unread postby MightyMouse » Sat Nov 27, 2004 4:18 pm

I used to jump on a 12 4 145.2 Essx that we call "Rex" I now have a 13 6 160 that i call "B and B" (bread and butter)
My current pole is a 14 155 Sky Pole which I call the Green Machine

And then what ever pole is my reach pole, as of now a 14 60 Skypole I call "the big dog", so when ever Its time to give it a try i say
"its time to let the big dog eat" :P
19 Years Old
Coach: Val Osipenko
"Hard work never goes to waste"
Petrov/Launder student

BethelPV
PV Follower
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Post Collegiate Vaulter, High School Coach
Favorite Vaulter: Billy Olson

Unread postby BethelPV » Sun Nov 28, 2004 12:22 am

I call all my poles my baby for some reason...but we just got a new pole and it came completely royal blue, kind of like Toby's black, except Blue. I call that one Blue Monster, cuz its a 15'6" 185, and my pole that I jump on now is 15'6" 175...

Hey Adam, you didn't name your 15'6" poles...that all Green one was pretty cool to jump on at Nationals...

Zachmo
Vault with a purpose... Vault for God!!

StickJumper
PV Nerd

Pole Name

Unread postby StickJumper » Mon Dec 06, 2004 3:29 am

We have a pole that from what our coach says, in the 19 years that he's ben there, the pole has been there 17 of them. It's brown with a gold sail piece and the kicker, its a 15' 2" 190lb pole. I think they were gonna reinforce a wall with it, cause it doesn't do jack.
He told us that it just stays there and does nothing, but they call it the "Widow Maker" cause those stupid enough to try and get on it have hurt themselves. Its apparently 5 for 5 in that department. So I say...

If the pole has had 5 vaulters, none get on it (some goofing around I would guess, but why?), and has demonsions that leave the thing more unlikely to be used than water in a gas tank, why did we ever get it or still have it!?
"Not knowing where you are going is the best way to get somewhere you've never been."
Ryan Fussell- Pole Peddlers Admin.
http://www.polepeddlers.com

achtungpv
PV Rock Star

Unread postby achtungpv » Mon Dec 06, 2004 8:30 am

Ok, this thread has been around long enough without posting.

I've only named two poles ever.

As a freshman I had a 15/150 black cat called "El Jefe Negro" - The Black Boss that exploded into 8 pieces...one of my cars currently has this nickname now.

And all throughout HS, we had a 14/155 that we called "The Slut" because everybody used her.
"You have some interesting coaching theories that seem to have little potential."

mcminkz05
PV Great
Expertise: College Vaulter

Unread postby mcminkz05 » Mon Dec 06, 2004 10:59 pm

Well not much for official names, but we have several poles just called "the b**** poles", right chris? no matter what we do, the poles just plain dont like us :dazed: , and refuse to cooperate. the most notable ones are a 14-6 160 pacer carbon, and a 13-6 165 skypole with a flex of like.. 10.
What have you done today to get better?

vaulter870
PV Great
Expertise: Current Club Cocah, Current College Vaulter, PV Addict!
Favorite Vaulter: Toby Stevenson

Unread postby vaulter870 » Tue Dec 07, 2004 9:41 am

yeah those poles really seam to hate on us alot. i have had more then my share or rejections from both of these poles and adam has to. stupid B**** poles :mad:
If you cant do it right , do if 10000 more times till you can

SlickVT
PV Follower
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Post-Collegiate Vaulter, College Coach, High School Coach

Unread postby SlickVT » Tue Dec 07, 2004 4:13 pm

Haha, no offense, but if the poles are rejecting you guys, doesnt that make you the b****es?

Just kiddin.
Vertical Technique Pole Vault Club
Blacksburg, Virginia
verticaltechnique.com

vaulter870
PV Great
Expertise: Current Club Cocah, Current College Vaulter, PV Addict!
Favorite Vaulter: Toby Stevenson

Unread postby vaulter870 » Tue Dec 07, 2004 4:49 pm

way to shoot my ego down now i am gunna go and kill my self :(
haha just kidding but yeah i guess it dose oh well one day i will master that freaking pole ;)
If you cant do it right , do if 10000 more times till you can

souleman
PV Lover
Lifetime Best: 12-7.5
Favorite Vaulter: Bob Seagren, Bob Richards

Unread postby souleman » Mon Jan 03, 2005 5:33 pm

Robert, the song title is actually "Black Betty". But you can put Black Benny in there and the perameter will work. Later.Mike

Return to “Pole Vault - Equipment”