Cold weather pole breaks

A forum to discuss everything to do with pole vaulting equipment: poles, pits, spikes, etc.

Moderator: Barto

Vaultiletics
PV Nerd

Cold weather pole breaks

Unread postby Vaultiletics » Fri Apr 06, 2007 10:39 pm

Does anyone think that cold weather (30-40 degrees) would affect the pole structure, performance or breakage!!! Especially carbon poles??? Everyone please give me your thoughts... Incuding manufacturing authorities and makers (ie Bruce)... Thanks guys!

theczar
PV Follower
Expertise: Coach/Former College Athlete
Lifetime Best: 17'1"

Unread postby theczar » Sat Apr 07, 2007 12:02 am

I seriously doubt it. I don't know much about fiberglass, but I do know that it would take some pretty extreme temperatures to do physical damage.

Bruce Caldwell
PV Enthusiast
Expertise: It is all about Pole Vaulting. I even catch the competitors poles!
Lifetime Best: 15'8"
Favorite Vaulter: Kjell Issakson, Jan Johnson

Re: Cold weather pole breaks

Unread postby Bruce Caldwell » Sat Apr 07, 2007 12:53 am

Vaultiletics wrote:Does anyone think that cold weather (30-40 degrees) would affect the pole structure, performance or breakage!!! Especially carbon poles??? Everyone please give me your thoughts... Incuding manufacturing authorities and makers (ie Bruce)... Thanks guys!

I have found that the cold affects the vaulter more than the pole. CHILLED POLE VAULTERS
Test have shown that a pole that is warmer will return to its original shape of a natural curve or a prebend. ANd reducing the temperature of the pole will allow the pole to straighten and be less curved..
A pole that is curved is easier to initiate the bend at the plant than a straight pole. Thus the vaulter feels thier pole has stiffened from the cold.

spike gibeault
PV Pro

no way

Unread postby spike gibeault » Thu May 03, 2007 8:37 pm

i started outdoor when there was still snow on the ground up here, the temperature one day was 34 f and me and my friends couldnt wait, we uncovered the pit and ran a few mile warm up, i was dressed for the ocasion and it made it harder to run, but the poles still felt like butter(12'6" 140)

Return to “Pole Vault - Equipment”