Shipping Poles to Competition site

A forum to discuss everything to do with pole vaulting equipment: poles, pits, spikes, etc.

Moderator: Barto

The Archetype
PV Fan
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, College Coach
Lifetime Best: 5.30
Favorite Vaulter: Mondo Duplantis

Shipping Poles to Competition site

Unread postby The Archetype » Tue Oct 13, 2009 3:34 pm

What companies do you vaulters use to ship poles to competitions sites like The Armory in NYC? Most times we can fly with our poles and strap them to whatever rental cars we get, but some places a rental car causes more trouble than it is worth. What companies have you used and what time frame can be expected?
"To win without risk is to triumph without glory"

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Re: Shipping Poles to Competition site

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:44 pm

Check this post out for details, there's pretty much only one main company that does it anymore: http://polevaultpower.com/forum/viewtop ... =8&t=18448

It usually takes at least a week in each direction. If you do this, make sure to communicate with the facility about where to ship it. They may have suggestions on shipping companies.

kev44000
PV Pro
Favorite Vaulter: Jack Whitt & Mark Hollis

Unread postby kev44000 » Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:17 pm

Bax Global is now D B Schenker. They are located at most airports. I have used them.

The Archetype
PV Fan
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, College Coach
Lifetime Best: 5.30
Favorite Vaulter: Mondo Duplantis

Unread postby The Archetype » Wed Oct 14, 2009 1:24 am

Thanks for the info, It sounds like with one option... that might be the best way to go...
"To win without risk is to triumph without glory"

ec1vaulter
PV Nerd
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Coach (All Levels)
Lifetime Best: 4.73

Unread postby ec1vaulter » Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:21 am

Here is a company that was recently founded by two former decathletes, Chris Boyles and Paul Terek, specifically for shipping vaulting poles.

http://flyawaypoles.com/
What did you do to get better today?

PVTEXAN
PV Wannabe

Unread postby PVTEXAN » Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:34 am

A bit off-topic, but I have found Southwest Airlines to be both convenient and cost-effective when attending AAU and USATF Junior Olympics. Last trip was to Des Moines, but we flew the poles to the nearest SWA terminal (Omaha), rented a car, and drove 2.5 hours to the meet. The cost was just under $100 for a 16ft. Pacer bag w/tube and six 14-15ft. poles, which included insurance coverage($2400) in the event of damage.

All of the cargo people have been friendly, curious, and sometimes knowledgable about the pole vault poles. Ask for the "regular" cargo price vs. upgraded rates for expedited shipping - they still go on the next flight available, provided there is room on the plane. I have been informed that our 16 ft. bag will fit it on all SWA planes but one due to cargo size.

We take the poles the day before, pay regular, and they are always waiting safely at the cargo dock for our arrival the next day. Remember to throw your tie-downs/bungees in the bag and you will be set ;)

kev44000
PV Pro

Unread postby kev44000 » Wed Oct 21, 2009 3:10 pm

PVTEXAN wrote:A bit off-topic, but I have found Southwest Airlines to be both convenient and cost-effective when attending AAU and USATF Junior Olympics. Last trip was to Des Moines, but we flew the poles to the nearest SWA terminal (Omaha), rented a car, and drove 2.5 hours to the meet. The cost was just under $100 for a 16ft. Pacer bag w/tube and six 14-15ft. poles, which included insurance coverage($2400) in the event of damage.

All of the cargo people have been friendly, curious, and sometimes knowledgable about the pole vault poles. Ask for the "regular" cargo price vs. upgraded rates for expedited shipping - they still go on the next flight available, provided there is room on the plane. I have been informed that our 16 ft. bag will fit it on all SWA planes but one due to cargo size.

We take the poles the day before, pay regular, and they are always waiting safely at the cargo dock for our arrival the next day. Remember to throw your tie-downs/bungees in the bag and you will be set ;)

I agree I always fly Southwest. Never a problem. And you do not have to worry about poles fitting on the plane. $100.00 round trip is the cheapest.

master
PV Lover
Expertise: Masters Vaulter, Volunteer HS Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 4.36m

Unread postby master » Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:06 pm

PVTEXAN wrote:We take the poles the day before, pay regular, and they are always waiting safely at the cargo dock for our arrival the next day. Remember to throw your tie-downs/bungees in the bag and you will be set ;)

When I fly I try to use SW. However I have always taken my poles on the flight I was on. Is there a reason you send yours one day in advance? Is SW OK with your poles going on a flight that you are not on? Do you have to be a registered shipper to do that (like representing a school)? Do you pickup your poles in the terminal or do you go to a "cargo shipping/receiving area" to pick them up?

- master

PVTEXAN
PV Wannabe

Unread postby PVTEXAN » Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:31 am

I take them ahead of time to ensure the best shipping rate and to promote a stress-free, time-efficient departure from the airport - nothing to worry about but parking and boarding the plane. It's a little more consuming on the flight home because you have to return the rental car after dropping the poles off at SWA cargo, but we fill out the shipping invoice ahead of time and pay with credit card upon pick-up to expedite the process.

I believe that SWA views the poles as any other piece of cargo that needs to be transported from A to B.

It's a free process to become a registered shipper but it's not necessary. One advantage is pre-printed invoices with your individual/team information.

The poles arrive at the SWA freight/cargo area. This usually no more than 5 minutes from the rental car places and easy to find.

On a side note, my experience has always led me to a Chevy Trailblazer or Chevy Tahoe (GMC Yukon) because of their roof racks. The Trailblazer is cheaper, but smaller and will get the job done - we got a Yukon in Omaha for the Trailblazer price (they were out) and it was an awesome upgrade.

kev44000
PV Pro

Unread postby kev44000 » Thu Oct 22, 2009 10:29 am

I always check in our poles with our luggage at the terminal. And they come out with the luggage at our destination. I guess either way is okay. $50.00 one way on Southwest. Other airlines are higher and you have to make sure the plane is large enough for the poles. My son had long lay overs going to and from the Pan Am games because of poles on United and small planes.

PVTEXAN
PV Wannabe

Unread postby PVTEXAN » Thu Oct 22, 2009 11:08 am

Thanks for the heads-up :yes: Are you talking about curb-side baggage check or do you go into the airport itself? Do you pay the fee on-site?

I never knew this opportunity was available. I'd be happy to bypass the SWA Cargo visits if its not necessary :idea:

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Thu Oct 22, 2009 11:49 am

On SW you can check the poles as a piece of your checked luggage. They are listed under sporting equipment. You have to go inside to do it, not curbside check-in. You would only need to use SW cargo if you are flying a different airline or something like that.

Return to “Pole Vault - Equipment”