Box protector plans available

A forum to discuss everything to do with pole vaulting equipment: poles, pits, spikes, etc.

Moderator: Barto

jerry hock
PV Beginner
Expertise: Elite coach, 30 yrs. Holloway 19'1", National Cert. PV offic. College coach, private tutor
Lifetime Best: 16'2"
Favorite Vaulter: Mike Cotton

Box protector plans available

Unread postby jerry hock » Tue Dec 15, 2009 10:04 pm

Safety is number one!
I have been working hard to design and improve my original ideas on ways to protect vaulters from catastrophic injuries from falls into the plant box. I have developed several improvements to my design that make my pads more 'user friendly'. After posting my first thread in which I ask for cooperation, I had a few responses. One notable former elite vaulter has given me brilliant insight into a new idea for protecting the box and we are currently working together on his actual specifics of the final prototype and model. In the meantime I have improved my old 'Hock Block' and it is a very easy system to build and add on to existing pits. I call the new pad, the 'Flip Pad' because it sits on the inside edge of the wing and flips down to cover the box. I have made a model and have drawings which I am happy to send to any parents, coaches or vaulters who would be interested in adding another level of safety to their pit. I was able to find a foam baby mattress at a thrift store for $5 and use it to make my protector, but you may need to buy a hunk of foam or large couch cushion to use. The flip aspect makes it easy to use and it requires some elastic strapping. If you are interested in seeing my model or my drawings of this protector please feel free to e mail me at jerryhock@hotmail.com and I will be happy to explain the simple building and attachment of same.
I am convinced that the new idea being developed is revolutionary but simple and it won't be long before we will see the box protection issue in a new light. The new idea is hands-free and protects all critical areas of the box. Until the design is complete I will leave it to the inventor to release, but for now remember I have the plans for the 'Flip Pad' available now.
Thanks for all the support on this project,
Jerry Hock

Return to “Pole Vault - Equipment”