A common Stiffness/flex standard?

A forum to discuss everything to do with pole vaulting equipment: poles, pits, spikes, etc.

Moderator: Barto

Decamouse
PV Great
Expertise: Masters vaulter, coach, USATF Official
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Kate Dennison

Re: A common Stiffness/flex standard?

Unread postby Decamouse » Wed May 05, 2010 5:56 am

ASTM looked at developing a common standard a few years ago and dropped it after about a year of development -- first to get a bunch of anal engineers to agree on what it should be (I am one of those types) - second if the HS Fed adopted what happens to all the poles in the field

Engineering Principles and Logic tell you if the pole gets longer or shorter by six inches the span should do the same. Does that make it better? Not if the current system works for you.

Just like poles - if it works for you - great use it
Plant like crap sometimes ok most times

Jdavis02
PV Newbie
Expertise: Current High School Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 12 feet
Favorite Vaulter: Nikita Kriliov

Unread postby Jdavis02 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:19 pm

@KirkB
KirkB wrote:You can download the http://www.skyjumpers.com Relative Stiffness Chart from here: http://www.skyjumpers.com/articles/pvprogressiontable.html
...To compare poles of the same length within the same brand, you can use their flex #, but to compare poles from different brands, use this chart.

How can I utilize the relitive stiffness when I am trying to buy a new pole, which will have a flex number instead of a relitive stiffness?
Essentially, how would I use this chart if I were buying a new pole that was a different brand than the one that I am using currently?
~JDavis

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:08 am

Jdavis02 wrote:How can I utilize the relitive stiffness when I am trying to buy a new pole, which will have a flex number instead of a relitive stiffness?
Essentially, how would I use this chart if I were buying a new pole that was a different brand than the one that I am using currently?
~JDavis

Go by the length and weight rating instead of the flex #. Staying within the same manufacturer helps, but not always practical.

Return to “Pole Vault - Equipment”