buttplug

A forum to discuss everything to do with pole vaulting equipment: poles, pits, spikes, etc.

Moderator: Barto

is dragging the pole an effective way to vault?

YES! drag it if you need to!
61%
NO! dragging it will get you nowhere!
39%

Total votes: 23

PvaultinGirl
PV Whiz

Unread postby PvaultinGirl » Sat Feb 01, 2003 2:20 pm

my vault coach i'm afraid dosn't seem to know a whole lot about techniques and teaching the vault safely and effectivly. : ( i was taught that it's ok to have your standards close and i have never had any problems w/ them that way before. in fact at one meet, i was standing there watching this grl vault and my coach even said "she would have cleared it if her standards weren't so far back!" (and they were VERY close). how do you relearn something that's been drilled into your head as being "ok" to do for a few years?? maybe i should say how do I totally relearn it?
POLE VAULTING....Fear is NOT and option!

Robert schmitt
PV Lover

Unread postby Robert schmitt » Sat Feb 01, 2003 3:16 pm

Practice with the standards buried. this will cause you to have to learn techniques that increase pole rotation. One word of caution, the object is not to fly off the back of the mat however. :D

PvaultinGirl
PV Whiz

Unread postby PvaultinGirl » Sun Feb 02, 2003 2:13 pm

i woudn't worry too much about flying off the back of the mat! lol i land in the middle w/ no problems. : ) when we get mats (in like 3 or 4 weeks) i will make sure that me and my teamates start working on this so we are ready for the new rules and to help w/ rotation. :yes: this is what really stinks for us though. i just found out that we won't have vaulting in districts or regionals. that means no vaulting whatsoever until states. : ( i am gonna suck soo bad. just drills drills drills and more drills for me
POLE VAULTING....Fear is NOT and option!

ashcraftpv
That one guy
Expertise: Former College Vaulter (D1), Current High School Coach, 1999 Outdoor Big Ten Champion
Lifetime Best: 5.25m
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Jason Hinkin

Unread postby ashcraftpv » Mon Feb 03, 2003 1:57 am

1kickinchicken wrote: how do you teach kids to vault w/ their standards all the way back at 18 when they have always had them at 14 and done just fine? i mean like people that have been doing it for years and haven't had any problems w/ it before or a coach who taught them that it's ok to have the standards very close.

well, having your standards that close on every jump is just not safe. it means you are having problems penetrating all the way into the mats. Have the kid drop their grip or go to a smaller pole until they can consistently jump with their standards at AT LEAST 18" or more. i always bury the standards in practice. any coach who says that it is OK to always jump with the standards at 14" is an idiot and shouldn't be coaching the vault.
PoleVaultPlanet is coming.....

wacky274
PV Follower

Unread postby wacky274 » Mon Feb 03, 2003 8:11 pm

ding ding ding....we have a winner...ashcraft nailed it
Champions aren't made in gyms. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them-a desire, a dream, a vision. They have to have last-minute stamina, they have to be a little faster, they have to have the skill and the will. But the will must be stronger than the skill. - Muhammad Ali

Talent in cheaper than table salt. What separates the talented individual from the successful one is a lot of hard work.
-Stephen King

1kickinchicken
PV Newbie

Unread postby 1kickinchicken » Tue Feb 04, 2003 8:32 pm

hahaha. i agree....my coach is an idiot. :no: good thing i will have a new one this year.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Tue Feb 04, 2003 8:40 pm

OK time for this thread to die seeing as it has nothing to do with the original topic anymore :P

Return to “Pole Vault - Equipment”