Poles for beginners

A forum to discuss everything to do with pole vaulting equipment: poles, pits, spikes, etc.

Moderator: Barto

birdi_gurlie
PV Pro

Re: Poles for beginners

Unread postby birdi_gurlie » Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:54 pm

Okay, Guy 4 has done some basketball and soccer.

We have a new girl. She's an athletic swimmer. I'm getting her height and weight tonight.
"That's how God's Word vaults across the skies from sunrise to sunset" Psalm 19:6

birdi_gurlie
PV Pro

Unread postby birdi_gurlie » Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:49 pm

Girl 5 is 5'5" and 115lb. She's a competitive swimmer, fairly fast, and is also fairly muscular.
My guess: 11'6" 120?

List of poles:

Girls 1&3:11’ 110 (probably only 1)
Girl 2:11’ 120
Girl 4:11’ 140
Girl 5: 11’6” 120

Guy 1: 13’ 160
Guys 3: 13’ 155
Guy 4: 13’ 130
"That's how God's Word vaults across the skies from sunrise to sunset" Psalm 19:6

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 2:30 am

Sure, an 11'6 120 sounds like a good first pole for girl #5.

birdi_gurlie
PV Pro

Unread postby birdi_gurlie » Sun Feb 19, 2012 1:31 am

All right, poles are coming in soon. Coach couldn't drive to get them but the mats were finally out and we had access to the practice school's poles. They didn't have anything bigger than a 145 (well, there was a 15 ft 175 catapole) but we just used them for how-to-hold-the-pole drills and such. We can use any of their equipment but only on Saturdays so it's not a good option since the poles are practice-only property.

The pit practice location is great. The pit is wonderful, we have a bungee cord and about 4-5 crossbars. They have two sets of standards, one freestanding and one with removable standards and a bolted bottom. It makes zeroing them easy but it's hard to move the standards up. It's okay for now though; I can probably figure it out and if I can't loosen a screw, I'll get a guy or parent on the team to help.

Shoot, I even got to take a bunch of jumps at the end because practice was over and they weren't ready to jump yet. I showed a bunch of drills and then started jumping...I almost got over 8'6" from my normal run up on a 10'6" 110! Sweet! I might be able to take a few jumps at the end of practice each day and just use one of the school's poles.

birdi_gurlie
PV Pro

Unread postby birdi_gurlie » Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:39 pm

What should a 5'2" 119 and a 5'5" 120 be on? (Please don't get on me about waiting this long about poles; I can only go to once practice a week due to school and they've cancelled the last two. It's been an odd February.) In the meantime, we're using the school that we practice at's pole for practice but we can't use them at meets. Suggestions for poles?

altius
PV Rock Star

Unread postby altius » Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:50 pm

Just to let you know that I am very proud of you! Al
Its what you learn after you know it all that counts. John Wooden

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:25 am

What are they using in practice? How high are they holding and are they bending the pole at all?

birdi_gurlie
PV Pro

Unread postby birdi_gurlie » Sat May 11, 2013 9:49 pm

Thanks Alan!

Sorry I didn't reply; we ended up getting poles through one of my girls's other coaches and renting from the school we practice at. My 5'2" girl got 6'6" at a meet; I think she's a 9th grader this year? She may be in 8th. I have another taller girl, 10th grade, who got 11' at the county meet and a boy who got 10'6" at the county meet. As my students aren't in the public school system, they didn't get to go to regional or state, though that law is currently being challenged. I don't know how that ended up being changed.

Return to “Pole Vault - Equipment”